long range ar15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Flat Tire, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I want to change my bushmaster m4 into more of a long range rifle. What barrel do you suggest, bullet weight, etc. And with the barrel I think I would need a new forearm, gas tube ???

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I am absolutely not the one to answer your question. But may I help you add to your detail? In terms of long distance, you asked about bullet weight. Is your purpose long-distance tack driving on paper targets? Or do you want to be able to kill something on the other end?

I'm assuming that could change the answers you may receive from those more knowledgeable than I.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

We need a bit more to go on.

What, to YOU, is long range? You and I might have very different thoughts on distance.

What are you wanting the system to do and the range you are looking to shoot?

A varmint gun, one you are shooting ground squirrels or ground hogs, at 500 yards, is going to be a completely different build than a competition paper puncher at 300 yards for a "long range" across the course type of gun.

And have you thought about just getting a dedicated upper instead of rebuilding the whole thing?

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

A completely new assembled upper may be the easiest way to go. I may be mistaken, but I believe most match grade stainless barrels are going to set you back somewhere in the three hundred dollar range and you can easily purchase an entire new upper for 500.00 with a 24" stainless bull barrel already on there. Just food for thought.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

What caliber do you want to shoot long range? There are alot of different calibers available for an AR nowadays,and 223 wouldn't be my 1st choice for a so called long range rifle.

Like J.D. said,just buy a complete upper instead of changing what you have.It will probably be cheaper in the long run anyway.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

And switching out uppers takes almost no time at all.

Another reason is that only one lower is registered to the government, but you have multiple platforms. On paper that sounds so paranoid. I didn't quite mean it that way, but it is what it is.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My Ninja! *respect* :p

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I think a new upper is a great idea but one warning:

a new upper tends to regenerate a new lower! :p

9. Catfish

Catfish Member

If your going with a .223 upper get one with a 1 in 7 or a 1 in 8 twist. If it`s for hunting the 75 gr. Hornady HP would be my bullet of choice. If it`s for target the 77 or 80 gr. Sierra`s would be alittle better. A heavy barrel for bench shooting and a liter barrel for a carry gun. If you are close to I have a RR heavy barrel upper that shoots real good, but I never shoot it because I use my AR`s for hunting and the gun will weight 16 lbs. befor you put the clip in, just no fun to carry.

10. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Ain't that the truth. Where does it end?