Long Range .22LR

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by nate249, Jul 29, 2013.

1. nate249

nate249 New Member

Does anyone have an idea where i can find an "official" .22lr distance record?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

distance record for what??

3. nate249

nate249 New Member

the longest recorded shot taken with a 22

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Distance and 22 LR do not fit well into a sentence together.

The maximum range on a .22 LR round, fired at about 30 degrees, is around 900 to 1600 meters- depending on the exact cartridge/ bullet.

Fired from a rifle, most rounds are supersonic at 50 yds. But just short of 100 yds, something happens. Slowing down, the bullets drops below the speed of sound. The bullet is overtaken by it's own shock wave, which can make it yaw, and accuracy drops off.

I do have a couple of target rifles that shoot well at 100 yds- using match ammo, which is right below sonic.

Look at the ballistic tables for Federal (they are on line) Using 40 gr Federal Champion Target- Zeroed at 50, at 100 it is -5.2 inches below line of sight, at 150 it is -19.7 inches, and drops like a rainbow beyond that.

Muzzle velocity is 1250 fps, at 50yds is 1100, and 1011 at 100 yds, at 150 yds, 944. Speed of sound varies with air pressure and humidity, but is AROUND 1100 fps.

There HAVE been some folks shooting at 3 ft square targets from 600 yds, and getting a hit now and then- but that accuracy is what I call MOT- Minute of Truck. For appreciable accuracy, 200 yds seems to be the limit.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Thanks c3,
    WE been shootin .22lr, for years , just for fun mostly, a little squirrel hunting along the way.:),
    but never really knew the numbers, but kinda always tried shooting 100 yds or less,
    now I know why.

good info.

Jim

6. nate249

nate249 New Member

I ask because i didn't know if anyone had already outdone a range visit we did last week. A couple of us were in Georgia and consistently hitting a 24" gong @ 440yds......7 in a row at one point.
    Didn't know if it had already been done

7. nate249

nate249 New Member

I tried Guiness but their website just brought up "rifle tossing" guess they aren't a very gun friendly company

8. nate249

nate249 New Member

at that distance we figured the round we were using was dropping 26.6 ft

9. nate249

nate249 New Member

So do you have any distance records?

10. BearTaylor

BearTaylor New Member

Growing up in a family farm/ranch operation in New Mexico, Dad would free me up to go jack rabbit hunting when the work was caught up. I would normally take them at a max range of 100 yards with a Winchester 62A filled with Federal or Winchester .22LR HP ammo. I know that in a bench rest situation with a scope a .22LR is capable of much longer ranges but 100 yards is the best I could do off hand with open sights. I grew up with that old pump action rifle and it serves me well today. Even though the gun is the same I sure notice the difference between 12 year old eyes and 60 year old eyes.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've been able to get out to 150 yds with some semblance of consistency. But after that I"m saying it's all luck. And the longer shooting I'm only able to do with one rifle. It's an old AMT Lightning 25/22. They where not made long and are pretty much a better made copy of a 10-22. I say better only because the bbl is 22" that seems to help accuracy a lot. And it has a real stainless receiver with stainless parts with a dovetailed top for a scope. On the down side it's hell to find a stock that will fit it with it's fatter bbl. So it sits in a fugly plastic stock. :mad:

Seems the round just has trouble when it gets past 100-150 yds. But that's what they make bigger rifles for ;)

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Typically the shooting community isnt concerned with who has the lomgest shot. Thats left to the mall ninjas. What goes on is who has the tightest groups at a given distance or who ran x course of fire the fastest with the fewest misses.

What im getting at is records are kept for accuracy and speed or a combination of both. Once you get to ridiculous distances with a given platform it removes all skill and transitions to luck and persistance. The shooting community is typically more concerned with the human skill factor than raw luck.

Anyone can shoot a paper once and claim hey thats where i was aiming. Putting ten in the same spot proves it was you and not random chance...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  13. cbibb

cbibb New Member

They have tactical matches and some places have a 200yd 22lr match challenging but fun

14. cbibb

cbibb New Member

Shooting a 22lr 200yd is a close simulation to shooting a 308 at a 1000yds for learning to dope the wind some shooters do that for practice.

15. jrfusatf

jrfusatf New Member

So am I wasting time and ammo shooting beyond 100 yards with .22lr?

16. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Dunno. Why are you shooting that far?

17. kaido

kaido New Member

If you're having fun while doing it, not even slightly. At one of the ranges I used to go to a good bit the had steel drums set up at 200 yards out to 500 yards. Me and my girl friend would take a shot one after the other and try walking our .22s onto them to see who got there first. Sometimes we'd hear a ding from a hit and sometimes we wouldn't.

Even if you are just wasting ammunition, it's the cheapest round that you'll ever find, so to me it's the caliber to do so with. Hana

18. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Waste............

If you have the money and the time, its not a waste but a learning experience.........It's more fun when the nay sayers are around to witness the hit at such long ranges. And yes luck has something to do with it. Just have fun and besafe, and don't forget about who might be on the other end of your long range shooting.............

19. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Dead beat...........

How long is too long, my mod. 881 has been at the smiths for 3 months and still hasn't been repaired. Oh well, you get what you pay for, I just hope I get it back before I die or the gun smith. Where you at Shrek............;)

20. theotherDWS

theotherDWS New Member

long range 22 rf

I shoot regularly in ASSRA (American Single Shot Rifle Assoc --ASSRA.com) matches at the club's "home range" near Warsaw Indiana. We shoot regularly with 22 rimfire single shots in matches at 100 and 200 yards. All ASSRA shooting (rimfire or centerfire) is done with with single shot, non-bolt-acton rifles and plain lead based bullets. We use a lot of Ballards, Stevens, Winchester hi and lo-walls and clones, Ruger single shots, BSA and other Martinis, the occasional Sharps or "rolling-block" and a few of the old antique german 'schuetzen" rifles that were brought back as GI souvenirs. We shoot both "irons" and "any sight" matches

We shoot both benchrest for score and group at our spring and fall "22 only" matches. during our "regular matches we shoot a reduced number of 22 rf matches. One s a 200 yard single entry bench rest match 10 shots for score. our target is the old 25 ring "german ring" target. the bull measures 1.5 inches in diameter the rings are .75 inch wide. A perfect 250 target would place all 10 shots inside that 1.5 inch circle-----at 200 yards. Our current record is a 248. 8 centers and two that were in the 24 ring.
    We also shoot various offhand matches at 200 and 100 yards up to 100 shot matches. Scoring is from the leaded edge for all offhand and center for bench shooting. I think the record for the 100 shot offhand match at 200 yards is close to 2200 out of 2500. 100 yard scores are better even though the 100 yard target is precisely scaled down to 50% of the 200 yard target. its just there is 50% less exposure to "conditions "

Shooting 200 yards at a sub MOA target with a 22 rf is a real fun challenge. It requires high quality equipment, guns optics and bench gear, REALLY good ammo, but most of all it takes excellent skills and patience to deal with the wind and mirage conditions. but its damn near as much fun as I can stand with a rifle

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013