Long distance

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by zack02, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zack02

zack02 New Member

What is a good caliber for shooting anywhere form 500-1500 yards ? What scope ? What ammo ? And what grain for which distances ..thank you
    -Zack

2. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

338 lapua, nightforce optics, handloads, berger bullets, go start reading up on that, to much to further explain. If you really even know how much is involved in long range shooting it might change your mind, my 338 ultra is a christensen arms carbon one custom, nightforce, an hundreds of load trial an errors before I found the right money maker. Total on gun an scope alone $6800, I got a great price through my buddy who is a dealer

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The Lapuas, Cheytacs, Barretts- once you are going beyond 1000-1200 meters. Inside of 900, the 6mms, the .30s (including 308s) and even the 7.62X54R 7.5 Swiss, etc.

Accurancy at "long range" is expensive- the smaller the group, the longer the range, the bigger the $$$. So, how far, how accurate, and how much do you have to spend?

As the man said- about the price of a GOOD used car.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

and some of the benchrest shooters will spend closer to the cost of a new Cadillac!

many calibers can acheive those distances, but your rifle and scope are the largest expence.

to be able shoot long range, lots and lots bullets sent down range. practice is the only way to be able to do it accurately.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Yea and with the lapua ext.... Your looking at $100 for 20 rounds. That is if you do not reload.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Mulie is a very advnced shooter. I would say like most rifleman he started out as any "Poor Boy" with an old Mauser or some other Turn bolt rifle.
    C3 mentioned the K-31 Swiss 7.5X55. This is a good choice to start banging some 600 yard iron. I have one of these old girls with a 20X Tasco that is amazing. Point is start out and work your way up.:)

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Out to 1000 yards I've had good luck with .300 Win. Mag. and the .260 Rem. The Bullets I've used so far for the .300 WM are 190 gr. SMK's and 210 gr. Bergers. This barrel is 28" long and has a 1 in 11 twist for these grain bullets. Will be using 1 in 10 twist barrel soon and plan on trying the new 230 gr. hybrid Bergers.

My .260 Rem. rifle has near the same exterior ballistics ay my .300 Win. Mag. out to 1000 yards. I am using primairly the 139 gr. Scenars and have used the 140 gr. hybrid Bergers with excellent results. This barrel is 26" long and has 1 in 8 twist.

The .260 Rem. rifle is now my primary 1000 yard target rifle and the .300 Win. Mag. is semi retired.

Other than reloading my own, I've had extremely good results with Copper Creek Cartridge and Southwest Ammunition in these two calibers.

http://coppercreekammo.com/

http://www.southwestammunition.com/

I use Premire Reticle scopes on both my rifles as I am very used to their Gen 2 XR reticle.

http://premierreticles.com/products/heritage-5-25x56mm-tactical.php

Heres the Gen 2 XR reticle I use.

http://premierreticles.com/pdfs/2009-5-25xxGen2XR.pdf

The .300 Win. Mag is a trued Remington 700 reciever with a Krieger barrel and the .260 Rem. is a Surgeons 591 reciever with a Bartlein barrel.

Both are tack drivers.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Very close, it was a winchester 94, 30/30 an something in me always wanted further. I struck out to find my further,it came in the form of a model 94 in 264 win mag. That damn gun got me all kinds of messed up, cause FURTHER HAS COST ME ALOT over the last 35 yrs, but I sure love to safely send rounds down the pipe at far out targets. Safely.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

shooting long range distances can get costly quick. time spent behind the trigger sending bullets downrange is costly. the equipment to achieve accurate results and produce small shot groups is costly.

there is also the time factor involved. shooting long ranges is a discipline in paitence, because it's an extreme learning curve. there is not any substitute for that time behind the trigger shooting and learning.

a couple of questions come to mind.

what is the longest distance you have ever shot?
    what is your shooting experiance? how long and what types of rifles?
    how much are you willing to spend?
    do you reload or are you strictly going to want to use factory loaded ammo?
    how many large magnum caliber rifles have you shot? are you affected by heavy recoiling magnum calibers?

many people think or want to shoot long range distances. truth be told, few are capable. they either lack the funds to do so, or the commitment in time and dedication to be able to learn.

10. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Accuracy costs money, how accurate do you want to be? :D

11. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Not really a good post here, accuracy can come at very low cost all depends HOW FAR YOU WANT TO BE ACCURATE, anyone can have accuracy at 100,200 an so yrds. I think the op has got all the info needed.

12. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

True not one of my best, was actually mangling the old drag racing adage of "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?" ;)

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Ohhhh my bad I got it now sorry, I should have thought for a sec huh.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Babe Ruth had so many home runs, because he never took days off, and lots of times at bat, brings up your average. Yes, Babe also held the record for strike outs.

Gamblers only remember their wins, and shooters only remember the bullseyes.

You can go long, without breaking the bank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

I have a DPMS LR-308 that sails pretty far, in acceptable groups, without mortgaging the farm.

With good ammo, and practice, there is a reason this is the most popular big game cartridge all over the world, invented right here in the USA in 1952, two years before 7.62 NATO, a very simular ammo.

Pictured with 6x24x50mm scope with an AR in the background.

MSRP $1199 http://dpmsinc.com/LR-308_ep_124-1.html

Did a little horse trading, and have around $199 in mine. The guy likes his Winchester 30-30, and I love my .308

ForumRunner_20130124_225409.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  15. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Most popular big game caliber, not even close there rookie, nice try tho know your facts before u say crap like that.

16. AR10

AR10 New Member

I showed two internet references for my post, and was polite about it. If you would like to suggest another round or several, please feel free to do so.

17. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Like I said not even close. The most common round in NA of all time was the 30/06, in the last 10 yrs the sales of the .300 class rifles have taken market share.

18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Are you trying to hunt with it or punch holes in paper/plate?

Hunting at those ranges is a sign of a man who can't stalk closer and kill effectively at 100- 200 yds but if it's for paper punching then to get a rifle to shoot good groups comes down to the nut behind the butt and the wallet raping that goes with it to get consistent groups and ammo to go with it plus a LOT of powder burning practice.

You'll more than likely have to reload your own and weigh each projectile,measure the cases,trim them to size, neck turn them, weigh each powder charge exactly, have your rifle set up with the best barrel with tight clearances,bedded and floated, a trigger assembly to suit and at least the very best 'scope you can afford like Swarovski,Zeiss,Leupold,Doctor etc.

Not much point in doing everything else and then dropping a cheap scope on it and then trying to put a hole in something a 1000 yds away that you can barely see properly is there?

In regards to the point about long range hunting from 500yds out the chances of hitting something cleanly drop dramatically the further out you go and if you don't like tracking a wounded deer,pig,etc for a mile or 2 after a 500yd+ shot then don't take it.
    All the gadgets and do dats in the world aren't going to make you the world's best shot if you have know idea about how the rifle shoots and what ammo it likes.
    All this takes range time and lots of it and if you've never fired anything bigger than a .223 or .270 than a jump up into the big .30's or .40 cals may prove to be a real shock to your system.
    I'd start by trying to get a lend of something in the calibre you think you may like and try it,if you don't like it you've saved yourself a heap,in other words try before you buy and also see if you can get a shot out of some of the long range blokes so you can see how easy it's not to hit something at 500+yds.

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Mulie-

You know... I just did a quick Google search, and 308 comes up on the top of a lot of lists. How about you back off the arguing and be a little more welcoming to a new member.

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.