Long Distance Shooting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by secdef, Jan 26, 2013.

1. secdef

secdef New Member

What is a good calibre for shooting anywhere between 500-1000 metres? What scope? What ammo would you recommend? And what grain for which distances ..thanks.

R700 .30-06 user.

2. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

With some tweeking and you spending a lot of trigger time, the R700 in 30.06 you have will do the job. Nikon, Leupold, Vortex and others make great scopes. As to ammo, most of the folks here will say roll your own, I'm sure they will post some of their favorite loads.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

3. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I shoot up to 1000 with my 308. Using a 175 grain handload. I use a vortex viper pst 5-15x44 mil mil riflescope. Although I think handloads are the best route, federal gold medal match ammunition will put up a good fight against most peoples reloads as far as accuracy goes

4. secdef

secdef New Member

Thank you, I have a Bushnell sportsmen 3-9x40mm from my savage axis XP. But I don't have the knowledge nor the room to "roll my own" ammo unfortunately but I have bout two types of .30-06 from cabelas ($20 a box)

Federal power shock 150gr and Winchester super X 150gr.

Attached Files:

5. secdef

secdef New Member

Any photos of your .308? Funny story bout my R700 is that I was gunning for a .308 and they discontinued the .308 R700 SPS DM model so since I already had a savage axis XP in .30-06 I might as well get it in the same calibre.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well you really need to upgrade the scope. beyond 500m (546 yrds) is going to require good optics. up to 1500m (1640 yrds) is going to require very good optics.

second, you will need to upgrade your ammo to some of the premium match grade ammo. much more consistent.

7. secdef

secdef New Member

What match grade ammo is out there that won't leave my leather wallet with a big hole through it? What grain are we talking?

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you don't reload, or have deep pockets, then long distance shooting isn't goingto work out very well for you. you are going to end up very disappointed.

to be able to shoot accurately at long ranges requires lots of trigger time, which lots of bullets sent down range. ammo is going to be expensive if you don't reload for the premium ammo. even if you buy the cheaper ammo, it's going to be expensive.

in a nutshell, long range shooting is not geared for those on a tight budget.

9. hoovco

hoovco New Member

The Federal Gold Medal Match is pretty awesome stuff. Palmetto state armory has it on sale every once in a while. I snagged 200 rounds of it for around 14 bucks a box of 20 at the beginning of the year. I use the 168 SMK but your rifle may like something different.

10. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Federal gold medal match holds the standard to which others are compared to. And for the price, you can't beat it. For long distance I would suggest atleast a 175 gr. As far as optics go, live by the saying clarity over magnification. Some of the longest shots made with a 308 was done with a 10x fixed Leupold. I run vortex optics on all my rifles because the glass is super clear, features are awesome, wont put a dent in your wallet, and your can't beat their warranty. Here's some pics of my rifle and a few hundred yard groups with handloads

Attached Files:

11. secdef

secdef New Member

Thanks for your input ccrow175, you have a nice kitchen set up. What kind of DM is on the .308? And how many rounds would it hold?

12. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Thanx,Haha only place with decent lighting at the time. The bottom metal is a wyatts set up. Its a drop in bm that requires no inletting from a gunsmith. They use proprietary magazines that come in either 5 round or 10 round

13. longunner

longunner New Member

That is one sexy rifle you got...nice shooting too haha

14. secdef

secdef New Member

I'll have to take a gander at the set up, I'm wanting to get a McM A5 but WAY TOO MUCH and wait time for the shop I want to buy it from is 5 months :p, so the manufacture is Wyatt?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  15. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Thanx tnarg, yeah the bottom metal is wyatts.I've had it for a little over a year now, and by far its the best upgrade I've made. You can find them at almost any big name manufacturer online, midway, brownells stocks etc.

16. secdef

secdef New Member

The over sized bolt handle, who's that made by because you're the second person to have it on their rifle rather than the more expensive welded one.

17. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Its a krg ( kinetics research group) bolt lift kit. Its an amazing upgrade if your not looking to send your rifle off to a gunsmith

18. trip

trip New Member

If you get a chance, go to a range where there shooting what your interested in. Most of the guys are more than happy to talk about there gear and give advice. Plus you get to check out there set ups, there some great ideas out there.

19. secdef

secdef New Member

Yea well I wish I could but the range closest to my city is an hour north of the city, we only have one indoor range and even that is like $100 to rent a handgun, $130 for AR-15. So I'll try and do that, lol in the summer (it's still -40 with the windchill here)

20. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What type if long range shooting do you want to do? Bench shooting at static targets or hunting? It can make a difference on bullet recommendations.