long distance pumpkin shooting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Crazycastor, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Don't forget this is the time of year to buy up the extra pumkins for the long distance shoot out with your buddies. Pretty cool watching what that 30-06 does to those things

2. MrPEZO

MrPEZO New Member

Me and a buddy are doing that this weekend. 30-06 and .308!

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I never shot a pumpkin but I did shoot a watermelon. It was pretty awesome.

4. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Shot pumpkins for the first time! We were shooting 12Ga slugs and #00 Buckshot at 10 & 25 yards. This year we might go Long Range and do 30 cals at 200Yds....

5. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Fill them with water for more effect :)

6. GLKmiester

GLKmiester New Member

This is our pumpkin shoot from last year. A saiga 12 and glock 21 caused that. I can't wait for this years.

Attached Files:

7. primer1

You can't fill those kind with water :eek:

8. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

We shot pumpkins last year with our mosin nagants. Those puppies exploded like there was a bomb inside them. Already have a few for this years pumpkin slaughter.

9. Partridge02

Partridge02 Member

My wife works for the city and they put out a lot of pumpkins in displays. They let employees take them home after Halloween so I get a many as I have room for. Halloween has become one of my favorite holidays.

10. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Our range gave us one(gave one to each "paid up" membership) last Friday,...we're gonna draw on it tonight for tomorrow,..then shoot it up over the weekend! we also have a few smaller ones for "distance".....

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I always found pumpkin shooting to be kind of a let down. They are mostly hollow so the energy of the bullet only really hits the rind. Never seemed to dramatic. They definitely need some fluid in them to get some hydraulic pressure to really get them to blow apart. My .30-06 was just punching pretty clean holes through unfilled pumpkins.

12. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I bet one could put some type of plastic liner in it that would hold long enough to do what you want??:)

13. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Then put a drop of food coloring dye in them, let them sit overnight and freeze and then watch what happens :D

14. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Got to hand it to yah, frozen pumpkins rock!:D Shot a few last year with my 44 and gold dot hollow points. Only thing missing was a mushroom cloud. :eek:

I've got to try the food coloring this year! maybe colored gelatin also....;)

15. primer1

That's thinking outside the box! Or inside the pumpkin :-/

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Internal water balloon bladder would be neat. I would think the colored water would be more fun.

edit* I was late to the party.

Of course, if you could tie up a bear, one of those pumpkins would make an awesome hat for him.

17. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I used an injecter to fill the pumkins up with food coloring and water. It takes a little while to fill them up but its well worth it. I usually get my kids involved with injecting the pumpkins and painting faces on the pumkins. Just make sure your kids are old enough to handle the injecter

18. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Brain f--t. Water balloon???????:D

19. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

The ones we were shooting with my mosin nagants were pumpkins that haven't been carved on or anything and they were exploding literally. We were using milsurp Russian light ball ammo. Definitely know if it was a hit or a miss. :)