Firearms Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a funny little Loctite story for everyone to get a chuckle out of.

So there I was...

I was sitting there watching tv when I started to think about how my castle nut started backing off the other week. With another class coming up this weekend I figured I'd fix that problem.

I put the instructional video that was playing ( Problem Solving 101 as written by T. Haley ) and grabbed the tube of Loctite.

After disassembling the extension I applied the Loctite and started tightening the castle nut back down. At this point I remembered the chicken sitting on the grill so I went out to check on it. While I was doing that the wife arrived home from work. We said our normal hellos and I love yous and exchange stories of that days occurrences.

About 45 min. had past when it dawned on me I had put loctite on the receiver extension. Remember I had not completely tightened the nut down.

Lessons learned: do not drench the threads in red loctite. When dealing w/ loctite finish the job then and there. If you break a prong off of your 3 prong AR multi tool get a new one before doing any further AR projects. Finally keep extra extensions and castle nuts on hand. Don't wait until your wife goes to bed to start banging away on your latest project.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Oh boy, red stuff is evil...

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
use rocksett instead of blue or red. its not as strong as blue but will keep anything from backing out you care to use it on, on a rifle.

the benefit is it holds up to several thousand degrees of heat but easily removed with a wrench. so it can be used on gasblocks muzzle devices etc. i stopped using blue and use rocksett for all my gun fastener needs.

red shouldnt even be in the same building when assembling a firearm!!

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JonM said:
use rocksett instead of blue or red. its not as strong as blue but will keep anything from backing out you care to use it on, on a rifle.

the benefit is it holds up to several thousand degrees of heat but easily removed with a wrench. so it can be used on gasblocks muzzle devices etc. i stopped using blue and use rocksett for all my gun fastener needs.

red shouldnt even be in the same building when assembling a firearm!!
I like red for the piece of mind. I rarely swap parts around on my ARs anymore. At the beginning it played w/ them like Legos but at this point my preferences are dialed in fairly well.

I need to learn to silver solder though.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
if you torque it correctly you only need to combat vibration. red is like using 5 ton weight to keep a postit from blowing off your desk when the door opens :)

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
jonm said:
if you torque it correctly you only need to combat vibration. Red is like using 5 ton weight to keep a postit from blowing off your desk when the door opens :)
+100000!!!

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you torque it correctly you only need to combat vibration. red is like using 5 ton weight to keep a postit from blowing off your desk when the door opens :)
You're 100% correct Jon. I'm a tinkerer and sometimes am over the top w/ my "repairs".

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
well least you dont have to stake anything if you go red lol

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
JonM said:
well least you dont have to stake anything if you go red lol
Lol I know right. I did have the punch out anyway. I was planning on staking too. :)

·
Registered
7,545 Posts
One word:

Stake! :p

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I must have some old stuff , I got the red to do the grip screw with and that crap takes about 8 hrs to dry but its locked up tight when it does finally dry

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I have used red on some machinery before. Had to cut the bolts off.....

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quentin said:
One word:

Stake! :p
Much easier. But after a few posts a week or so ago I thought I would give it a try.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts