Locating handgrip

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by connectegr, May 10, 2012.

1. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Just got a vertical handgrip/bipod. Is there a "correct" location for this on the handguard. I know... On the bottom. Is this about comfort or a specific tactical consideration? Range of motion, stability, etc. Closer to the magazine well or more of a stretch? I can use trial and error, but could use some input.

Pictures of other's setup and their reasoning would be nice.

2. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

As far out toward the muzzle as possible. More control over muzzle climb and it makes it faster when transitioning from target to target. It makes it as easy as pointing at the target w/ your finger which is basically what you're doing.

Use the grip as a handstop and remember it's not a can of soda so don't hold it like one.

3. Fixer

Fixer New Member

Use what is comfortable to you, both in position and grip.

4. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Comfort it nice but it's not always the best direction to take.

They taught us the magwell grip at Drum in the early 2000's and I used it up until 2007-08. I was then introduced to the thumb over grip. Damn it was uncomfortable. I'm talking sore muscles and all that. Then one day it just started to feel right. If you can make it through the initial growing pains you're golden.

Improvement isn't always the easy road.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Just remember the verticle foregrip is for shooting across rooms in distances you face in very close urban house to house fighting. Those techniques are very detrimental to shooting at longer ranges.

Ive seen people using verticle grips and complaining their rifle sucks because it wont hit a 200yd target...

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I like vertical foregrips on SMGs and some pistol caliber carbines. I'd never have one on a rifle. Just my $.02

7. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

This. Learn when you want/need to change your grip, and be more versatile. If you're mostly running and gunning, the hand over is great, but if you're going for distance? A more traditional grip would be better.

8. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I am expecting to use the grip for 15-25 yards and the bipod for 50-100 yards. So an obvious change in hand positions. Does this make sense? I don't have many opportunities to shoot my AR 200 yards.

9. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Yes, me too. My notion is that the forward grip would be ideal for self-defense and shooting 25-50 yards. That is the range that I shoot ARs. Rarely do I get an opportunity to shoot further than that, unfortunately.

10. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

For some reason, the thumb over grip came naturally to me. Maybe its because I've got big paws.

Anyways i tried a standard foregrip and used it as a handstop. After i moved it multiple times, i found it was not for me. Then i took a chance on the Magpul AFG and never looked back. Combined with the thumb over grip, it's a match made in heaven.

ForumRunner_20120511_142906.jpg

11. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The thumb over grip works great for long ranges as well. Now I'm not talking about using it off a bench. Standing w/ a sling it is rock solid. The instructor was having us come up one at a time and from the low ready he wanted us to double tap a steel silhouette at 80 yards. My last string I decided to put 4 rounds on target. It sounded like the Salvation Army was there ringing their bell. As I walked to the back of the line I heard him say, hard act to follow, to the next shooter. I'm no high speed operator but I am constantly trying to improve. I'm thankful for the guy who pointed out the deficiencies in the magwell grip and showed me the thumb over.

I watched 10 other guys shoot that day using various grip techniques. When I recommend something it's because it works.

12. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Yeah im not much of a bench shooter either, only time i bench rest is to zero.

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

you were cheatin weren't you mike.......

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Geissele SD3G. <--------------------------------------------------:p

15. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

That's the DD. I wasn't even using the BCM SS410 1:8. I was using the 14.5" LW BCM.

I moved the qd cup for the sling to the furthest point of the 13" Alpha and apply a firm thumb over keeping my right elbow in tight. It makes for a solid shooting platform.

16. fetep

fetep New Member

I used the AFG2 for awhile, wasn't my thing, I now have a tapco stubby, use it more for a reference point for thumb over grip, works great!

Fetep

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

This is the biggest reason why I feel that 2 points are superior to one points.

18. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

That and when you start running around. Retention while in use or just letting it hang.