Firearms Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like to purchase locally . I have five lgs in my area and between all five you can usually find a good deal on what you're looking for. Of my last four purchases three are from my lgs and I actually was able to bargain down on one due to how much less it cost on the internet.Besides it's always good to support you're local guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have purchased half from a LGS and half online. Fr the most part I will mainly purchase online from someone within driving distance to me, so that way I can do a face to face meeting when I purchase it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
BeyondTheBox said:
How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.
I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I'll buy local when I can find what I want, but the selection is limited so if I want something specific I do look online. Some local shops will order what you want and some will just try to sell what they have on the shelf.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.
That's when I call them out on it when the store is full of potential buyers. Repeat business is better than that kinda business.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.
I find a huge difference in handling the gun that will actually be mine, rather than one LIKE it. Also in Oregon here we have to pass a background check each time. If I were to fail one somehow, even if it were an error on the Feds part, an online purchase is final in that regard, then I have to hope LGS is willing to buy it and then I'm taking a loss even at that. Also no waiting time and no transfer fees! I see plenty of reasons to buy local, if all else is equal of course. As long as the price is reasonably even...

But that's just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I stick to my local dealer, they are always the lowest price in the area and I like to avoid the fees associated with buying online, also my local shop will get anything I want if available, right now it's obviously tough with the shortages

·
Registered
601 Posts
I buy from or thru one LGS the majority of the time and then some thru word of mouth and now seldom from the on line dealers/sellers. Never at a gun show.

·
Premium Member
22,674 Posts
I buy online. My LGS are much more expensive.

Wal-Mart being the exception.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I buy most of my ammo online simply because 5.45x39 and 7.62x54 is hard to come by anywhere else. I only buy guns online at auction websites and I can get $150 or more off advertised selling prices.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

It's gotten hard to buy online. When you pay $20-$30 to ship, then another $25 or so for the FFL transfer, it typically makes online purchases cost as much as local. The only reason I buy online, is if stock is out and I can't get something local. I did recently buy a Complete NFA ar15 lower from Classic....it was $150 for the lower, $17 to ship it, $25 for the FFL. $192 by the time it was all said and done. I did it because there are no lowers available anywhere, and the secondary market is getting $400 or more for stripped recievers. So it really depends on the situation

·
Administrator
34,439 Posts
I purchase from a gun shop. If they don't have what I want, they'll order it. For something like a gun, I want to work face to face with someone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts