Local vs online

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, Jan 17, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.

2. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I like to purchase locally . I have five lgs in my area and between all five you can usually find a good deal on what you're looking for. Of my last four purchases three are from my lgs and I actually was able to bargain down on one due to how much less it cost on the internet.Besides it's always good to support you're local guys.

3. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I have purchased half from a LGS and half online. Fr the most part I will mainly purchase online from someone within driving distance to me, so that way I can do a face to face meeting when I purchase it.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I try to find it locally first, and from a small business first.

5. charlesmar

charlesmar New Member

I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.

6. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

I'll buy local when I can find what I want, but the selection is limited so if I want something specific I do look online. Some local shops will order what you want and some will just try to sell what they have on the shelf.

7. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

Prefer to buy locally if at all possible, I'll research and compare prices online.

8. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

That's when I call them out on it when the store is full of potential buyers. Repeat business is better than that kinda business.

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.

10. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I find a huge difference in handling the gun that will actually be mine, rather than one LIKE it. Also in Oregon here we have to pass a background check each time. If I were to fail one somehow, even if it were an error on the Feds part, an online purchase is final in that regard, then I have to hope LGS is willing to buy it and then I'm taking a loss even at that. Also no waiting time and no transfer fees! I see plenty of reasons to buy local, if all else is equal of course. As long as the price is reasonably even...

But that's just my thoughts.

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I stick to my local dealer, they are always the lowest price in the area and I like to avoid the fees associated with buying online, also my local shop will get anything I want if available, right now it's obviously tough with the shortages

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I buy from or thru one LGS the majority of the time and then some thru word of mouth and now seldom from the on line dealers/sellers. Never at a gun show.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy online. My LGS are much more expensive.

Wal-Mart being the exception.

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Why is that?????:confused:

15. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

I buy most of my ammo online simply because 5.45x39 and 7.62x54 is hard to come by anywhere else. I only buy guns online at auction websites and I can get $150 or more off advertised selling prices.

16. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

It's gotten hard to buy online. When you pay $20-$30 to ship, then another $25 or so for the FFL transfer, it typically makes online purchases cost as much as local. The only reason I buy online, is if stock is out and I can't get something local. I did recently buy a Complete NFA ar15 lower from Classic....it was $150 for the lower, $17 to ship it, $25 for the FFL. $192 by the time it was all said and done. I did it because there are no lowers available anywhere, and the secondary market is getting $400 or more for stripped recievers. So it really depends on the situation

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I purchase from a gun shop. If they don't have what I want, they'll order it. For something like a gun, I want to work face to face with someone.