Local meat prices.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Bigcountry02, May 16, 2014.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I look at Wal-Mart, on base, Albertsons and Smiths, the meat prices are near the same.

Some of the thick cut is about $9 a pound and some of the regular is running about $7 a pound, ground beef is about $6 a pound based on 83% lean. This is going off the top of my head.

The only semi-good deal was Albertsons, buy one and get one free for the beef and the pork is buy one and get two free.

Any one else seeing the rise in price? If so, please indicate the cost.

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We are seeing meat prices rising quickly. Chicken legs and thighs have jumped from 56 cents a pound to 72 cents a pound. Hamburger can be found for $3 a pound. End cut pork chops are $1.90 a pound. Fresh pork shoulders are priced at $1.90 /$2.00 a pound. Fresh ground pork sausage is $2.50 a pound. Frozen hamburger patties are $18 for 8 pounds.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

We have Wally, Fry's(Kroger), Safeway, part of Albertsons, and Bashas'. ( I miss Pathmark, A&P, waldbaums, & Stop & Shop!!!). Fry's is about the best you can do in Fresh meats, but if you want frozen, Wally is cheaper.

Burger patties(fresh-85-15) is 10 for $10. One thing I see here that I never saw back east is 73-27!!! Yuk,..too much fat content, 80-20 is about as low as I go the 1-2 times a month we actually have red meat. I use ground Round(85-15) or Sirloin(90-10) to mix with Ground turkey for Burgers, tacos, or meat loaf. Right now Steaks are outrageously expensive. I did a round roast for Passover,..it was almost $20 for 3-1/2 Lbs...
    Ground Turkey was on sale this week, and it was Ground Breast(93%) so we got 2 Lbs for $6.
    Instead of steak this yr. For our Memorial Day Bash, we'll do franks & Beef and Turkey sausages, and maybe if we catch a sale, Burgers..

We made fake Asian tonight. Rice-a-Roni low sodium with corn, mushrooms and onions, veggie egg rolls, and chicken pieces....

In fact, I have only had two steaks in the last 10 months. Last year. On my Birthday,( my wife's brothers family was also here on Vacation, and my BIL's birthday is the day after mine) and in Vegas for Shot, at the Buffet in the Excalibur, and maybe before we left for Shot, we were at Sizzler once, the head cook there does not know what "well done" means...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

The Gov keeps saying that inflation is low, they must not be buying any food, gas or clothing. I can see the days of casseroles and loafs coming back in style. My wife was going to buy us a couple steaks last week and they were $9.00 for 2 small ones, forgetaboutit! I may take hunting back up!

5. DrFootball

Well smallSteaks aren't That high except for Filet Minions,..4 Small eye rounds( about 4-5ozs each) was around $12 and some change the other day,..
    My wife usually makes the List,..and I run the Calc-Bot calculator app on my phone while she scans sale prices,..esp. On sold out items for the rain checks or substitutions...

6. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Look at the prices at local small butcher shops. We have two in this little town that sell way cheaper than the big chain stores. Still expensive but cheaper.

7. DrFootball

No "small private" butchers here,...plenty where we were back east....

8. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Yep, sticker shock everywhere on meat prices.
    Most likely it will creat a bumper crop of deer hunters in the woods.

9. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Our meat pricers are rising like the rest of the country,along with the other normal costs of living items. We've been seriously thinking about raising our own beef,pork,and chicken to help with the inflated prices these days.

10. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Deer meats still cheap:)

11. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The fact is , they don'have to pay for anything , they don't do any shopping !
    I sure there is some service "piss boy " that takes care of the little tasks and chores for these Government Officials .
    I'm also willing to make a bet they're not eating the same styrofoam they pawn off as ( FOOD) to us .

Not to worry though , the tab is on us ., :confused:

12. willshoum

willshoum New Member

First off................

Thank all you arse hole for puttin ethanol in my gas tank to ruin my engines. Then that raises the price of corn and grain, and that raises the price of every damn thing else..............So what fattens the hog.................And what do we call these arse wholes in gov. with there pets............Pork barrel................Somebody, any body, but no body will do it................Press the reset button on our Gov...................

13. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I have not had to buy any meat lately. I blessedly still have around 3/4 of a fresh hog , side meat & jowls& two homecured hams, a few deer and a bunch of doves,ducks,quail and phesant in the freezer (except the hams and side meat/jowls) as well as a lot of seafood. This fall I think I am gonna get two lambs for the freezer as well. I love livin in the country.

14. Bigcountry02

The meat I did purchase was very thin, 5 slices per package, each packages was $13.50 each; but, the second was free special of buy one get one free.

I looked the sirloin prices, 3 medium steaks were running $19 plus per package. I passed on those without even thinking!

Some of the good hunting is high mountains in New Mexico; but, the problem is getting a tag in specific units. Folks here are not too happen with the way the lottery for hunting is, more tags go to out-of-state hunting. Reason, tag in-state are cheaper and do not bring in revenue.

You're not the only one screaming!

I want my lead gas back, this ethanol is crap, 91 octane feels like 85 octane - thanks to the environmental wacko who push their agenda and we the people pay for it! :mad:

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  15. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Shhhh....Keep that to yourself!!!! :D

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Drought > less grass > less cow> more money.

One of my clients now buys her meat 'bulk' (bulk?) for cheap from a packer. She has a couple of freezers in the barn/garage. Don't some of you hunters have a freezer or two?

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Something smells..............

I watched the online cattle auction today, theres plenty of beef and they wern't selling cheap. Young pregnant cows sold for as much as $2,700 ea..........

18. Bigcountry02

Do have a freezer, 2/3's full. Hunting is not the problem, getting a tag is the issue.

Last time in 2008/9 time frame when I was active duty before retiring, 4 of us came together and order a cow - grass fed, it was $460 each of us, total $1840 total, all the meat was cut and packaged.

19. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Saw a possum today. Thought about inviting it to dinner.

20. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ground turkey price here depends on how much feed they eat before I put 'em in the freezer. :D Same with the roosters. 6 weeks or so ago, me and Mrs Buckhuntr bought half of a smallish longhorn steer from the rancher who raised it. All grass fed, no grain. The ground is about 95% lean, deep red and great flavor. Steaks take a little careful cooking to keep from being too chewy, but still taste good. If we want a more conventional steak for a special occasion, there's a couple of butcher shops in town that have become the only places I'll buy meat (except from the ranch). Pay a little more, but the quality is far better than Wal-Mart or the local grocery stores.