Loan for a gun?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Kage0113, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

Alright folks, here's my dilemma. I have a job now at walmart, yeah fancy. But it wont be forever, I'm in college and have career plans. But, with me having money for once in a long time, I want to buy my gun...now lol. I was thinking of taking out a "personal loan" to get it so i can build credit. However, I don't want to say i'm buying a gun cause I don't want to register it. What do you guys think? If they ask should I say its for Christmas or something?

2. JiroZero713

JiroZero713 Active Member

Your credit score is an imaginary number I wouldn't care about it for the most part...course I understand building it so you can buy a house later on.

Taking out a loan on a gun is a bad idea and just get anti gunners attention.

Don't waste your time on it.

3. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Don't want to register it? Obey the law, man.

On the loan side of this, just make sure you can repay it. Being late will bring your score WAY down.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You list your location as Wyoming. What is the "registration" you speak of? With the except of certain firearms covered under the NFA (machineguns, short barreled shotguns, etc) there is no national "registration" of firearms, If you buy from a dealer, he maintains a record of the sale in his place of business. OTHER states may require registration, but have not seen anything from Wyoming.

as far as the loan- don't. First, save some money. THEN talk to your bank about getting a secured credit card with a small line of credit- a few hundred dollars. THAT will get picked up on your credit report- pay things on time, starts generating positive numbers for you.

As far as the gun- what are you looking for? A $50,000 Holland & Holland double rifle, or a .22 for plinking? I would LIKE to have a Jaguar, but for now I drive a Jeep. So you would LIKE a $1200 custom 1911A1? Maybe what you can afford NOW is a $250 Ruger Mk III .22 pistol- or a gently used $200 S&W .38 Special. I would rather OWN something than OWE somebody. Ya sleep better that way.:rolleyes:

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Can we assume that your reference to "...cause I don't want to register it." refers to the reason for the loan and not some subversion of any firearms law, right?

If this is the case, just get a Christmas shopping loan and buy yourself a Christmas gift!

If you are asking for a way around any laws, Hommie don't do that here!

The FTF flunked our Bar Exam.

Only a fool would take legal advice from us.

Taking legal advice from a public forum is only exceeded in stupidity by the people that offer that advice!

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

If your credit is good enough to land an unsecured loan, why not go the way of a credit card? Most cases, the interest rate will not be that different. As far as registering, if it is the law of your land, then do so.

Great advise here, and if you have subversive motives, take them elswhere. Loan for a gun, no go unless you have a good buy on a collector's arm where you can sell fast for profit legally.

Slap yourself in the back of the head for even entertaining the thought, imo.

7. WDB

WDB New Member

Best advise already give.

PS
    Your credit score is NOT an imaginary number. The better your credit score the lower your interest is on a loan and the more money the banks will be willing to lend you. Take good care of credit score and it will serve you well in life, abuse it and expect to pay cash for everything the rest of your life.

8. freefall

freefall New Member

When I first got married (many moons ago) a guy with some company tried to sell me a freezer full of frozen food on credit, it was a really good deal. I had never borrowed a dime so got turned down due to no credit history. I said, "Man, it's too bad I can't just pay cash". That was NO Problem, saved me about 25%. Later however, thought it might be nice to have a credit history, so when I wanted to buy a truck, I bought a 90 day CD at a bank for the price plus $100, took out a 90 day personal loan with the CD as collateral, paid off the loan in 90 days and was a Good Citizen as far as the financial world cared. Cost me $100. But I wouldn't borrow money for a gun if I didn't have it.

9. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

The registering thing is about the law our great politicians want to pass for the $50 gun tax, if they are still debating that. And I have a job and know I will be able to pay it back. Plus I've gotten a loan threw them already.

10. dirtysouth

dirtysouth New Member

As for law thing and not wanting to register that gun well if you dont and get busted you can forget ever buying another gun and then maybe facing jail time and fines so hope its a big loan.

As for the loan i wouldnt do it just because that means i owe somebody something. Save up your shekles and then buy a firearm or do layaway thats what i do most of the time.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Kage- ref the income tax thingy on guns- you will be required to stay after school and write "I will research internet runors before acting upon them" 500 times. However, you CAN use a Sharpie to write that on random liberals hanging out at Starbucks.

That measure was introduced with ONE sponsor, NO co-sponsors, referred to committee, and died there. Yet we have some folks talking about the 2010 tax form (does not exist yet) and having to list their guns on it. NOT.

There is enuff real crap out there that is scary. Learn to separate wheat from chaff, grasshopper.

12. WDB

WDB New Member

Well expressed C3:) and you let him off with out a spanking..expect that may of been a reward in hind sight:D

13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I think you got off lucky without C3Shooter turning you over his knee for a good whoopin. I would like to know where you get your info. Please include credible links, not some story from some teenager or anything like that....

Does WalMart pay that good? :eek:

14. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

I've heard the tax thing all over the place, including this forum...And yes, walmart plays surprisingly well, and I have a fair enough amount to spend. And note that I said"if they are still thinking about the tax." So I had good reason to NOT want the govt. to know about my gun. And I work/go to class ALL DAY about every day. SO cut me a break. Checking up on all my politics isn't my first priority when I come home, that's why I was asking.

15. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Credit scores ? Hmphh.. 22% interest ? Paying months or even years to break even ? Credit card companies love to issue cards knowing that they are going to take way more than what the price tag said.. I've been using nothing but cash for years.. And actually saved money.. Screw the credit card companies !! Scrimp and save the old fashioned way.. The U.S. Government has used "credit" for years.. See where it got us ??
    Loans ? Yeah.. Look at what it has done to the banking and housing market. The FDIC admits to having the least amount of money since the FDIC was established.. From bailing out banks.. Loans are fine. But make one late payment and watch the interest skyrocket.. It's a racket. Just like cell phones.

Just save.. If you have a spouse that wants more and more, Find another spouse. If not, you can save more $$..Yes, I have a spouse. But she knows my attitude on this subject and agrees with me.. TOTALLY opposite of the ex wife.. That's why I have an "Ex"..

16. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

and paying cash is the best way to go anyhow!! :D

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

My X-wife thought her responsibility was to point at things she wanted and it was my place to figure out how to get it, today! That's not why she's my x, but I won't go there. :rolleyes:

18. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

Goju: Were you married to my (first) ex-wife?

19. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

[​IMG]

As for a loan, I'd say "No" to that. The suggestion to get a first-time credit card (if you don't already have one) is a a good idea. That, in and of itself, will be the best way to build your credit profile if that's what you are really looking to do. But, don't max it out and make sure you make all your payments on time.

20. markerdown

markerdown New Member

In my younger days, I took out a loan to throw a party when I sewed on my buck sgt stripes. Couple of kegs, food, and a band at the KoC hall. Now that I look back at it, it's wasn't very smart, but at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do and it was a blast.

Going into debt for whatever reason is your choice, or sometimes there is no choice about it. It's your call on this one, weigh the pros and cons. Heck, I've done it for motorcycles, stereo equipment etc etc... but then again I was in the military and had a steady income to pay off the debt.

It's up to you........................markerdown