Loading press for 1858 Remington reproduction?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by orangello, Feb 8, 2011.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

Do you guys just use a loading stand or do you have a loading press? I just got a pair of 1858's by Pietta, and don't like the on-gun loading equipment. I'm not saying i will never use it, but i want options.

I suppose i could just use my short starter with the cylinder on a beheaded nail.

Additionally, how many of you actually make use of a spare cylinder?

Thanks!

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I use the loading lever on my 1858 every time I load/shoot the revolver. That is what it is designed for.

3. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I use loading lever on the 1851 Confederate Navy, I usually take my time loading.

If I get another cylinder (spare), will pickup a loading stand.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  4. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I load on the gun and don't use spare cylinders.

5. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I guess I'm the oddball here. I use a loading press because I shoot conicals & it's easier to compress the rounds.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, I ordered a loading press. I will try loading both ways and compare. I am a bit OCD/perfectionist about some things, and i bleve the press might help me be more consistent with the loads.

I hope it gets here soon; my ammo and wads and extra caps came in yesterday.

RAI Loading Stand I ordered the bottom one.

7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Safety is always the OCD when working with blackpowder. Today was good range; but, the blackpowder pistol stayed in the trunk. The wind was bad, gusting up to 30 mph at times.

I am hoping Saturday is a good day, forecast for wind and rain with temps in the low 70's. :D (For the good temps).

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I'd like to also add that I incorporate the use of spare cylinders, they load about as fast as magazines with enough practice. The only reason not to get more cylinders is having to dish out a few more bucks.

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Does anyone make a loading press for the ROA?

DK

10. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I may be wrong but I think there's enough leeway to load it with the same Lee press.

11. orangello

orangello New Member

It is my understanding that the RAI place is a small shop; you could call them and ask if it would work on the ROA.

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Thax Orange. I wonder what is BFE, Miss? I will be in Buloxi, Miss in March. Hope the weather is getting better down there.

DK

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I think clarification of that acronym is not rated "PG!"

14. orangello

orangello New Member

You would be correct sir. My particular area of BFE is north of Hattiesburg, MS, in the county of Jones. Jones is a dry county; you don't get much more BFE than a dry county in southern Mississippi, especially a county so generally disagreeable that it attempted to secede from MS after MS seceded from the USA, back in the day.

15. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Whereabouts? I'm out in the boonies between Heidelberg and Eucutta.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

Near Laurel; i graduated Heidelberg Academy, looooong ago. Ever heard about Mr. Faggert's cannons (former Headmaster at HA)?

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

No, I'm not originally from around here.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

William Earl Faggert was the Headmaster at Heidelberg Academy; he had an outstanding collection of Civil War memorabilia, including two working pieces of field artillery (one Southern, one yankee). Their yard was not toilet papered ever in my recollection. Cool people, but I have not kept up with them. Some miniseries on TV used his cannons.

19. Hawg

Hawg New Member

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Finally got a chance to go shoot the pietters and use the loading press. Very nice, IMO; i clamped it to the tailgate with a quickclamp and it was at a good height. The revolvers shot fine; it wasn't hard to keep the holes in 3" circle at ten or twelve yards. Third cap didn't pop hard enough to light the bp, was interesting moment of :eek: .

The BP smell still permeates my nostrils.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011