loading 45 long colt with 45 acp dies

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Jake15, May 14, 2012.

1. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

I already have 45 acp dies and I want to start reloading for my buddies S&W 25 in 45 long colt. Is it possibly to use 45 acp dies to load 45 long colt? I know I'll need a different shellholder, but other than that would it be possible?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

no. 45colt is waaaay to long to work in the 45acp dies.

4. fmj

fmj Active Member

If i am not mistaken, arent 45 colt .458" and 45 acp .451??

I would think this would be another issue to go with the case length issue.

5. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Post war 45 colt is .452 pre war is .454. WWII that is. :)

6. 1hole

1hole New Member

" Is it possibly to use 45 acp dies to load 45 long colt? "

Maybe but I doubt it. The problem will be the sized & expanded diameters, not the length. Don't have my manuals at hand to confirm that tho, you can look it up yourself.

The question of crimps will be how hot you load them, hot loads will need a roll crimp but moderate loads won't care.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You could expand and seat. You could even use the taper crimp if you load light. But you can not use the sizing die. The 45 colt is too long. You would only be able to size part of the case. It would be to large down by the rim of the case. It might work the first time. But after that you would have trouble with getting cases stuck in the cylinder. I would invest in the dies if I were you.

8. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Even though you couldn't fully resize the 45 long colt case it would probably still work work ok for you. Depends if it is for a revolver if all the chambers are about the same size(they are never exactly the same). If it is for a rifle then I doubt you have problems.

9. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The S&W 25-5 shoots the .454 LSWC better than anything else. The 25-5 tends to key hole with .451 & .452 bullets. The .454 is to large for the ACP seating die.:)

10. Sport45

Sport45 New Member

The sizing die probably won't be deep enough to let you deprime a .45 Colt case.

I suppose you could put a decapper out of a rifle die in a .45acp die and make it work, but then you might as well just get the proper sizing die.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Let's just say "NO". Go out and buy a proper set of dies. Don't try to take shortcuts in re-loading.

Jim....

12. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

OK I fully agree with masterPsmith

13. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Okay, I guess I won't try that ha. I'll just buy the dies. Thanks

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've loaded hundreds of them.

You neck size the .45 Colt case with the ACP sizing die.(Just like you would with a LEE loader)

Expand with the expander die just enough to start the bullet.

Seat carefully, and crimp by running the case part way back into the sizer die, just enough to remove the belling.

It's definitely not a good solution, but it will work until you can get a set of .45 Colt dies.

15. tri70

tri70 New Member

I would be afraid of crushing the side walls during the crimp because they don't have enough support when pressure is applied.

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why I said CAREFULLY!

17. 1hole

1hole New Member

"But you can not use the sizing die. The 45 colt is too long."

Actually, the length difference is not a problem, many of us have routinely reloaded .357 w/.38 spl dies and .44 mag w/.44 spl dies. I've even reloaded a good bit of .444 Marlin with .44 mag dies and did "FL" sizing to do it. The real issue is case diameter and wall thickness, not length.

Few straight wall cases ever need FL sizing but if we push a case fully into an open top sizer it can easily be done.

No seating/crimping die I've ever used was sufficently tight to prevent case wall bulge if crimping is massively over done.

18. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

No way you can use 45 ACP dies for 45 Colt! The die interiors are too short. The proper bullet diameter for your revolver can be determined by measuring the chamber mouths on the cylinder (the side that faces the barrel!). I have a Ruger Bisley contvertible 45ACP/ 45 Colt. I had the cylinders bored out to .451 (?) inch for cast bullets at Clements Custom Guns. The groups shrank from 3 inches to 1.2 inches using the same size .452 bullet. Rugers have tight cylinder mouths....449-.448 inches. The bullet gets squeezed down then has to ride loosely in a .451 inch bore...NOT GOOD! Get a dial caliper and measure your cylinder throats to decide what size bullet to use. Smiths are usually dead dead on at .451. Cast bullets should be sized .001 inch over throat diameter. Comparing 38/357 dies and 44Sp/44 Mag dies is not the same, they are MADE for the longer length! I load commercially on a Dillion Super 1050 (7 of them!) and we have 2 different machines for 45 ACP and 45 Colt! By the way, I load 3000-5000 rounds a DAY! 6 days a week! Election years are always the best for business!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  19. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

In a survival situation, I could make it work, but it would be foolish to try it otherwise. If cost is a factor, then buy a set of Lee dies for 25$. If you watch the sales, you can sometimes get them for under 20$.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my suggestion is with as cheap as a set of dies are, why bother! why not just buy the correct dies and be done, then you know they will work properly and safely. when you go about trying to do things not intended for their purpose, is when accidents start happening. reloading ammo is not an area for taking shortcuts when the proper equipment is available.