Loaded my first batch of 45acp

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Boyerracing343, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I finished my first batch of 45 acp. I loaded 200 rounds. 100 fmj, 100, jhp

Here is what i started with...

Case : mixed head stamp
    Primer : CCI No. 300 large pistol primer
    Powder: 4.5gr titegroup
    Bullets: 100 230 gr FMJ, 100 Hornady 230gr XTP

[​IMG]

One of each. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. Batteries in the good camera are dead.

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Awesome!!:cool:

3. Boyerracing343

Thanks :D. I will add a range report hopefully sometime soon. I know I won't have any time to go shooting this week but hopefully next Sunday my father and I will be able to spend the morning at the range.

4. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

5. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Looks great. New brass or polished? They look good!

6. noylj

noylj Member

The bullets, particularly the FMJ, appear to be seated much deeper than required. Are you trying to load to manual's minimum COL or is this the COL needed for your gun to feed and chamber easily?

7. Boyerracing343

It is polished brass. Twice fired.

Thanks for pointing that out. In my manual it listed the maximum COL and then next to the bullets i was using it listed another COL that was a small amount shorter. I went with the smaller number. I haven't had the chance to fire any of them, but i did cycle a few through the pistol and didn't have any issues. Next batch i will use the max COL, but do you think i will have any issues with these the way they are?

I just doubled checked my cartridges and my load book. I have them set at a COL of 1.235''. My book lists maximum COL at 1.275''

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. fmj

fmj New Member

NICE! Now get out and shoot em and let us know how they shoot/group!

You really want to watch your OAL!! If you seat the bullet too deep you will cause more pressure in the chamber possibly causing damage to the firearm. 5 hundreths doesnt seem like much, but it may be too much. I know when reloading my .357's there are variations in how deep the seater die seats the bullets...i have to guess that it is due to bullet variations. I have found bullet weights vary from one to the other. I am sure there are others that can help you more than I, as i am still a relative noob to the reloading game. Nor have i reloaded any .45 acp yet....thats my next project...i just need to decide on a powder.

I am looking for a powder that will work well for 230 gr. JHP .45 acp and 115 gr JHP 9mm Luger.

I will be watching closely to see what others more knowledgable have to say on this.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

I always seat to the max col then shorten only if neccessary.

10. fmj

fmj New Member

OK...spell out "COL"..i get the O=overall, L=length....C=?

11. Boyerracing343

So since they are seated too deep do I need to pull all my bullets and reseat them or should I just match the max col next batch?

Here is from Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading 8th edition,

[​IMG]

First page.

[​IMG]

Second page. Why the difference between COL?

Is the 1.230 in the second page what they recommend setting and then the 1.275'' the max?

I checked some of the reloads that i had sitting around that i purchased from a dealer at a gun show a few months back. They varied from 1.230 exactly to 1.245.

12. Olympus

Olympus New Member

My opinion would be to look at where you are at with your powder charge. If you are near the 3/4 to max range, the bullet depth is very important. But if you are on the low end of the powder charge, I wouldn't worry about the pressures. Shoot what you've already got and make adjustments to the next batch if you want.

I have a couple 1911s that prefer short OALs. I just load them pretty mild and I've never had any problems with the thousands that I've shot.

13. Boyerracing343

My max charge using Titegroup is 4.8gr. I was loading with 4.3 and maybe a little bit less. I feel as if this batch will be just fine. I used all the normal precautions that i have been taught. I will just remember to set my bullets a little bit higher next batch. Thanks for the input guys.

14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

COL = Cartridge Overall Length

15. fmj

fmj New Member

10-4..thanks.......i shoulda knowd...just call me slow.

16. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

Great ammo.What kind of press do you load on? I load up .45acp with 230 gr. lead round nose. For the longest time I used a Lee challenger single stage press. Recently purchased a Lee classic cast turret press for all my pistol ammo. Great solid unit that is semi progressive and sets up quick. Loads ammo pretty fast too. If ya don't use a progressive now, just log onto youtube and check out the video for this press courtesy of iraqvet8888. Really interesting and informative.

17. Boyerracing343

Ammo was loaded on a single stage rcbs press. I have been checking out turret presses and the Dillion xl650. I wish I had the money because I would love to have one but an ar build is next on my list.

18. fmj

fmj New Member

DUDE, you can bag a lee turret for a little bit of nothing!

Lee 3 Hole Turret Press with Manual Index - MidwayUSA

just like mine except mine is auto indexing. I bagged mine used with carbide .357 dies from a guy that didnt know better for $20 :D

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I have said many times, the Lee Classic Turret 4-Hole press is under $100 and my recommendation to people coming off a single stage. It is not a large step from a single stage to a turret and also not much more money. Nothing wrong with progressives, but there is a lot going on at one time and you really need to watch closely.

Dillons are expensive in my book and a lot more expensive for caliber conversions than other progressives. If high round output is your ultimate goal, the Dillon and other progressives may be what you want. But you can get set up with a Classic Turret for pretty cheap and you can still turn out 250 rounds per hour.

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

i went from rcbs single stage to a xl650. i still use my single stage for some loading. i like it for 458 winmag/lott 30-06 and 45-70. single stages are great for low production number cartridges and no loading bench is complete without one.

for progressives i cant recomend enough the xl650. the ease of use and setup is crazy. when you get ready saving for the xl650 in my opinion is a no-brainer.

the reason there is a col difference is bullet profile. lighter bullets tend to stick out less so you get a shorter col. all the bullets in a typical load are seated to the same depth in the case so the same amount of bullet is being gripped by the case.

this makes the oal different for different bullet profiles but the depth seated the same. hope that makes sense.