Loaded Magazine

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jhughe11, Jul 18, 2012.

1. jhughe11

jhughe11 New Member

I keep my Rock Island Armory 45 ACP in my nightstand with 8 rounds in the magazine. My question: How long can you leave a magazine loaded before it damages or ruins the magazine? Or will it hurt it at all? This is why I want a 357 magnum revolver for the night stand lol. Any advice will be appreciated :) I also have my carry piece (sigma 9mm) loaded all the time.

2. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

Keep my mags loaded at all times in my glock and 1911 haven't had any issues at all I do load one round short to put less stress though

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've heard of guys that have had mags loaded since the Vietnam war, they aren't hurt...

My 1911 has been loaded 99.999% of 3 years and works better now than when I bought it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  4. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have a couple of 1911 handguns, so I switch them up every other month.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you keep your mags loaded you should check them every 5 or 10 years.

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Leaving your mags loaded will NOT hurt them, the loading and unloading of them wears the springs more than keeping them loaded.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Loading and unloading your mags does more harm than leaving them loaded.

The springs have no issues remaining compressed or relaxed. Cycling them is what wears them out.

ALSO, a mag that is used often, like your range mags vs. your carry mags MUST be cleaned and lightly lubed (for protection, NO grease!) when dirty. This depends on how dirty the ammo you use is and how many rounds you've cycled.

Get a caliber specific mag tube brush. Think of it as an investment.

Magazine Brushes - Brownells

8. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

+1
    Listen to Wray & Cane on this. But the only reason I quote Wrays post is to give him a shout out on that awesome Kermit Zombie avatar pic!!!!
    That is sweet!!!

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Haha, thanks brother. Im pretty fond of it myself, i wanted to keep my zombie theme going :)

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

11. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Not to argue that repeated cycling cannot wear a spring, but how many thousands (or millions) of cycles would it take before a magazine spring would lose enough elasticity to matter?

12. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Exactly. Loading and unloading a magazine to the point of spring failure would take decades.

13. jhughe11

jhughe11 New Member

Well guys I appreciate the advice. I bought 3 extra magazines for my 45 and only have 2 for my 9mm. I didn't want to wear any of them out...now I won't worry about it lol

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

That really depends on the mag-
    Thats why you should have quality mags for carrying-
    Plinking don't matter -

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ah......you guys must shoot glocks. Us rednecks mostly talk bout our 1911's. :p

16. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

You could call it superstition but even though I have eight round clips I was raised on 1911s hold 7 in clip one in chamber 8 rounds with one in the chamber ain't right. It that it really matters lol so I just keep 7 in all mine

17. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

i was thinking the same thing