Loaded Magazine Storage

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by HUNTERMN, Aug 15, 2010.

1. HUNTERMN

HUNTERMN New Member

How long can a loaded magazine be stored? I just don't wan't the spring in the magazine to stay compressed.

2. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It'll vary by make and model, but most mag springs are pretty strong. Unless you're talking about a magazine sitting around untouched, and filled to max capacity for years...I don't think there's much reason for concern.

If it worries you, load it to 80-90% instead. That reduces the tension considerably.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Magazine springs are affected more by cycles (loading and un-loading) than by being left full.

You could leave a decent quality mag loaded for dozens of years and it will still work.

4. JSDinTexas

JSDinTexas New Member

I don't believe loaded or empty mags are the issue but how many times the mag is loaded and emptied. At least this is what Glock says. All mine are full and ready.

5. ET1

ET1 New Member

I load my mags just like another poster stated...I leave them 1 or 2 short if I am storing them. I saw where a Glock expert said that it reduces the stress greatly by doing this. Now I just need to figure out how he got to be a Glock expert. I think all you need is a subtitle below your name/picture saying as much.

-ET
    Glock Expert

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Good quality steel springs in magazines are not damaged by staying compressed. There was actually a test where a 1911 was found holding a mag loaded in the 1920s. Over 50 years being loaded, shot just fine.

Now, if you will pardon me, I have to go outside and jack up my truck. I don't want the springs on the suspension to stay loaded all the time. :D

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Contemporary, quality magazines produced with equal quality springs will retain their functionality longer than you will.

As stated before, springs are affected by cycles, not by being left fully compressed.

If you were really concerned about your magazine springs being under compression for any length of time, you would need to completely disassemble your mags for storage. This would be the only way the springs could be stored at rest.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

Great info there!

9. opaww

opaww New Member

I have mags that have been loaded for years and still work fine

10. superc

superc Member

OTH there are some magazines that have never worked reliably even when new, so storing those puppies fully loaded just kind of adds to Murphy's tool box.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Life is too short to rely on cheap mags.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I am amazed at how someone will spend over $1000 on a 1911 and then buy cheap mags for it.

13. big_cigar

big_cigar New Member

Full mags or not

If I have several mags loaded in my range bag I take out 1 or 2 cartridges. If it is my back up mag for my current gun I keep it fully loaded.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

No kidding, Rick.

The same ones who spend thousands on a high end tactical rifle with Eurpoean glass on it, and then shoot generic factory ammo.

15. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

Not sure how long they can be loaded. I used some loaded mags for my 1911 last Tuesday. They worked fine and I reloaded them three times on the range and they are loaded now. But these mags have been sitting on the shelf, fully loaded for over a year.

I have some Glock mags that have been loaded since 2003 when I moved into this house. Have shot some of them lately but got about 15 more still loaded. Might be a few years before I shoot them since I stopped shooting any of my Glocks months ago.