Loaded guns in safe

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by shorthairptr, Aug 15, 2014.

1. shorthairptr

shorthairptr New Member

Is it safe to store a loaded handgun in a safe? I always remove the loaded magazine and store the magazine outside if the safe... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

a gun is safe until someone uses it unsafely. a gun will not, under any circumstances, ever fire unless someone pulls the trigger.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If it is not on my person, ammo and guns are in some kind of safe 99% of the time. I do not unload my carry pieces nor my home defense gun which I keep in quick access safes. In my storage safe, I don't typically keep my handguns loaded; but I do have some loaded AR magazines in there.

I see no need to store guns and ammo separately.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

In the event of a fire, only the cartridge in the chamber becomes dangerous. But so is the fire.

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

If you are qualified. Keep a loaded gun anywhere you want. That means, however, that most gun owners should not.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I keep one "Revolver" loaded in my safe with an empty cylinder over the bore. Just in case of a fire the rounds going off would not have enough pressure to create a serious problem regarding a cook off! But if I was forced to open my safe I just need to grab it and pull the trigger to defend myself or the family. MY family is also educated as to which one it is and it is readily accessible. I could see a home invader not allowing the male to open the safe! I do not keep one in the chamber of my semi autos. In fact the only other ammo in my safe is three 30 Round AR Mags that are loaded incase I need them on the spur of the moment. Other than that the ammo is stored and locked in another area.

7. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

If your revolver gets hot enough to cook-off all the rounds will probably go-destroying the gun.

8. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't quite understand why someone keeps an empty chamber in a modern revolver. Transfer bars pretty well negate the need for empty chambers, don't they?

9. MisterMcCool

I suppose the one aligned with the barrel only has at most a one in five chance of being the first to go. Good thinking, Bill.

10. MisterMcCool

NAA has created a genius way of having the cylinder stop between cylinders.

"North American Arms Mini-Revolvers are equipped with a unique safety cylinder, giving you maximum protection against accidental discharge.

The North American Arms Safety Cylinder feature allows the gun to be carried fully loaded. There are halfway notches located between the chambers. The hammer is lowered into one of these notches after the gun is loaded. When the hammer is pulled back to the firing position the cylinder rotates to the next chamber."
    http://northamericanarms.com/safetycylinder

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

NAA didn't exactly create that. It was used on guns over a hundred years ago.

12. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

the 1858 beals patent new army model manufactured by Remington was the first to have safety cylinder notches.

13. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

woops I see I was just a tad late with my post:p

14. Jay

Jay New Member

Not often, but occasionally, I'll put a loaded handgun in the safe. When that happens, I'll put a red rubber band around the grip... letting me know it's loaded. :)

15. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

If you are the only one that has access to the safe, then I would say it is just as safe as you are. If others have access, not so much.

16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Is a loaded gun safe if its locked in a safe? My first question is, why would you want a loaded gun in your safe, that could be answered with a bunch of reasonable answers. If nobody but you can open that safe Yup, probably safe, if others have access to it that cant be trusted with a loaded weapon, nope, better hide your bullets!

I think the answer to that question has more to do with the owners exact situation than a general rule anyone or everyone should follow. The same should be war-gamed for anything that can have associated dangers, A Zero-Turn Mower, a knife, a chainsaw, a blender and a can of gasoline all have unintended uses and accidental consequences that can be life taking to owner and or others.

Is my 22 single on top of my fridge safe (bullets right beside it)? Its not safe for Woodchucks cause it allows ne to pop them quick! It is human safe even not locked up cause we are in control of our home even when kids are there Its out of reach and they all know that the top of the fridge is off limits along with just about anything in my man cave. Is it safe in your home? I cant say, only you can, be sure your right before you do it, not too many do-overs when it comes to safety with things that can throw chunks of steel at bullet speed.

17. shorthairptr

shorthairptr New Member

Thanks got ALL the replies..

1) most of the there are no kids in the house (gf's & her kids do come over at times) but I am the only one with the combination to the safe.

2) I always put 1 gun in the safe when I'm out of the house. As of right now I only have 2 guns but plan on buying a 3rd soon.

As for the naive question it's because I just bought the safe & still novice gun owner in training...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well the only stupid question is usually the ones not asked!:p

just remember, everyone was new to guns at some point. :D

19. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This is a non-issue in my home. It does not matter if the gun is loaded or not, ALL guns are treated as loaded. Therefore, in the safe, in a case, on my hip -its loaded. If I'm cleaning it or fixing it, its loaded. In a box, with a fox, served with lox, its loaded. (my apologies to Dr. Suess.)

Also, an unloaded gun is useless. Just like I keep gas in the car even when its parked in the driveway and not in use, i keep it ready to be used. If a gun is needed, you may not have time to get the gun from the safe, the ammo from a second safe, load the magazine, load the gun and charge it. If your safe guns are unloaded, you should have access to a loaded weapon to be used for home defense. It should always be the same gun and kept in the same condition. Humans are creatures of habit and the more you disrupt constancy, the more chance there is of a negligent discharge.

Whatever you decide, make sure to do it 100% of the time. No exceptions, no variances, no changes EVER. Keep your weapons the way you feel is the safest and the way you can defend it in court should you ever be in a worst-case scenario. Just remember that a weapon is also a tool to aid you in the defense of your life and loved ones and cannot function without ammunition. Your decision must be one with which you can be happy. :)

20. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My guns are loaded unless they are in the big safe. No guns are loaded in the big safe. Every gun that might be used for self defense has at least one loaded mag in the safe. But not in the gun. The small safe in the closet...all loaded. There is never a question. If it is not in the big safe it is loaded. Everyone in the family knows this.

That said...I would never pull a gun from the big safe without checking it anyway. That is just a safety thing. I would never handle a gun I think is empty without checking first. Then checking a second and third time. I will never pull the trigger on an empty gun without verifying three times that it is empty.