Loaded during storage?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by BeyondTheBox, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

And, if so, fully loaded, or just a few rounds? I've been keeping my mags fully loaded during storage, but recently decided that might be some unnecessary wear on them so I've gone to half loaded, but I'm starting to wonder if my logic, that leads me to believe having them loaded at all is a good thing to retain spring tension and pliability, is sorely mistaken.

I've read a few threads about it with varying opinions, just figured I'd try and create my own census.

2. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

Mine r always fully loaded. But I do unload them sometimes just to let the spring breathe.

3. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

This is a topic that will almost always start an argument. But leaving a magazine fully loaded for long periods does not harm it. It is flexing a spring that weakens it, not being compressed for long periods.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Keep in mind that there are millions of pieces of equipment all over the world with billions of springs in them that are kept in compressed conditions for years and years and years, and nothing bad happens to them.

5. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Marine corps taught us to leave 1 or 2 bullets out of magazines to help spring life

6. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Well, the one exception to the rule that keeping a spring compressed doesn't hurt it is if the spring becomes bound. That is, compressed beyond it's normal range, where the metal in the spring becomes torqued or stressed. That can damage a spring and shorten its life. Some makes and types of magazines are poorly designed so that if fully loaded the spring does bind up. Thus the common practice of leaving one or two rounds out to relieve the binding. But a normal spring, compressed a normal amount can stay that way almost indefinitely. I forget which pistol I had a while back that if you attempted to load the magazine to capacity, the spring bound up so bad you had to force that last round in. Not good for a lot of reasons.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

All of my magazines for the pistols are loaded, but i do load one round short. The only loaded rifle mags are for the SKS, also loaded one short. The shotty, she is packed and ready to be racked. :D

I don't have any unsharpened knives either.

8. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

with respect,
    This subject has been discussed before but that won’t stop me from sharing my thoughts on the subject.
    If you chose to leave your mag/s fully loaded cool if not that’s cool too if you want to down load by 1 well that’s another way. I have not seen a Witten rule boot on the subject there is no point blank yes or no answer. Just the same as what do you think is better a ______ or the ________ for stopping _________?

9. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Have to respectfully disagree. Which gun or bullet is "better" is highly subjective. But whether or not a spring will weaken due to being compressed has a direct yes/no answer (no). It's simple metallurgy, which is a well developed science. The elastic and tensile properties of metals are well known. This is one of many technical articles on the subject.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/?tag=content;col1

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I keep my hd guns loaded. As far as storage as per op, why? I don't foresee a situation (at this time) why I would need 5 loaded 30 round mags for my ak at the ready. My ammo stays in cans until I may need it.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You must have been in a different Marine Corps than me :confused:

Leave them fully loaded ;)

12. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

to each his own.
    [​IMG]
    just say'n

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

the laws of physics and metalurgy state uncatagorically that springs do not lose strength while compressed or at rest. springs only lose strength through actual compression decompression cycles. when a spring is compressed or at rest it is not doing work. the simple act of unloading a magazine to "let it rest" is what is doing the real harm.

short loading does not increase reliability or spring life but DOES leave you short however many rounds you short load by. those few rounds may mean life or death. if you have a magazine that doesnt function at full capacity throw it in the trash and get a new one, its junk.

the actual myths are:

1: leaving mags fully loaded decreases lifespan
    2: short loading helps lifespan
    3: springs need to "rest"

all my magazines are kept fully loaded.

14. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

all the prior post confirm what i was trying to say, keep them loaded or not its up to the individual...
    replacement springs ($$)

Wolff Magazine Spring Glock 19, 21, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30, 32, 33 High Capacity 10% Extra Power Product #: 203726

Reviews $6.99

15. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

There is a loaded magazine in all my pistols. There is a full cylinder in all my revolvers. All of these are in a safe, except the one that is always with me and I have a spare 18 round mag close at hand for it.

My 12ga pump is loaded and handy.

An unloaded firearm is just a really expensive rock or club. JMHO

16. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

I have several mags that came home from the corp with me in 1971 and other than shooting or cleaning they have been fully loaded all the time. I have not had a problem with any of them.

They might all break tomorrow but I guess I'll have to chance it.

17. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Keep mine loaded one mag in but no round chambered

Wyoming is what America was

18. mcb

mcb New Member

My Mossberg 500, S&W 686, and Glock 27 kept loaded. The G27 is my edc, the 500 for things that go bump in night, 686 in the nightstand and frequently carried in the truck. Everything else is unloaded in the safe.

It really comes down to what you are comfortable doing.

19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Can I just start screaming now?

If a spring is properly designed, it will not be hurt by cycling , compressing to it's limits, or any other normal usage you can come up with. Springs are not simple physics and metallurgy, they are complex mechanical devices. I have zero reason to believe any of the big manufacturers did not properly design their magazine springs.

I want to see the "Glock" with the broken magazine spring. Without even looking at it, I'd bet 10:1 it's an aftermarket mag. Last time I heard that, it was "my brothers friend" who's a police officer and everybody in their dept has broken magazine springs. If that's the case, then maybe the dept needs to buy a different brand :)

Load em up, and leave them loaded! Personally, I put 1o rounds in my 13 round magazine... Why? not because I don't trust the spring, I just don't like to carry the extra weight, and if I got in a firefight that needed more then 10 rounds, I'm probably already screwed, LOL.