Load data/info needed for Montanda Gold 158gr in 38 Special

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by techiej, Sep 19, 2013.

1. techiej

techiej New Member

Been reloading for a while and just picked up a GP100 (6") and a Rossi 92 Lever (24").

Loaded up some rounds using Montana Gold .38/158gr JHP in 38 special cases, S&B SPP and N-340 powder. Don't have the COAL with me but it was roll crimped into the cannelure.

Long story short, since I was doing load development I started at 4.5 grains and went to 4.9 and managed to stick bullets in the barrels of both guns.

With the Lever it was an easy removal. Unfortunately with the revolver I wasn't shooting and after the jacket stuck in the end of the barrel (the lead core didn't) the shooter kept shooting thinking he was missing. I guess he thought that since the prior 6 shots were great (I believe they were with the 4.9 gr load) there was no need to hold back...sigh. That gun is on the way back to Ruger for a new barrel and a bunch of $$$.

So, does anyone have recommended load data that would work for me?

Also, needless to say, I have a chronograph on order...never had to 'need' it before although yes I know I should have and it would have prevented this much pain.

Thanks in advance.

2. mseric

mseric New Member

3. techiej

techiej New Member

Unfortunately I had used data from my Hornady guide which had a min of 4.3 with a nax of 5.1.

4. Shade

Shade New Member

I always try to get 3 sources of data before I try out a new load.
    Misprints do happen, and can have significant issues. Even it the
    exact bullet is not listed I will look at comparable bullet weights and
    make sure charge weight look appropriate.

I have never used that powder but I due use Hodgdon Clays for light
    target load for my wife to practice with a 158gr cast lead bullet. If
    you are interested I can post what I load there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  5. techiej

techiej New Member

Thanks for the offer but I need load data for my jacketed (actually semi-jacketed, soft tip, hollow-point) bullets.

If components weren't so hard to get it would be easier to experiment with different combinations.

6. Shade

Shade New Member

Amen to that!

7. techiej

techiej New Member

A couple of follow-up questions:

1) the VV pdf shows a range (38 spc) of 4.9 @ 791 fps to a max of 5.6 @ 983 fps. Opiniions/suggestions/cautions?

2) my plan was to chrono some factory 158 gr hollow-points (Remington) through each gun and then chrono loads ranging from 4.4 to 5.6 in each gun until I was close to the factory velocities...does this make sense or am I taking too much for granted given the unknown powder, bullet height,amount of crimp, et al for the factory ammo?

Thanks everyone!