Llama & Star?????

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Big-Nasty, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

Why doesn't anyone talk about them? I feel like I'm the only one who owns a few of them on this whole forum!!!!!!!!

2. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I use to have a Star. It was the Firestsar in 45acp. Nice but heavy. It was my gun I carried years ago. Another loss to the ex.

3. Big-Nasty

Big-Nasty New Member

I own a Star model BM 9mm and a Llama Micromax 380 auto.

4. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I have a star .22. It was my fathers. He passed and it's at my sisters house now. Solid little piece I tell you. I like it.

5. jyo

jyo New Member

The Star brand (along with Astra) were among the better Spanish pistols---the Llamas were among the worst. Llamas were nicely finished on the outside, but crap inside---soft metal etc. All these guns are long out of production and parts, magazines, etc could be a problem.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sort of the same reason we don't talk about Merwin & Hulbert revolvers- they don't make them anymore. Had a Llama .22 Especial- a 1/2 scale version of a 1911A1. Cuter than a button, shot well.

7. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

I have a Star Model 30M 9mm. A very good shooting gun, accurate and dependable, built like a tank and almost as heavy. I have had it a long time and I still like to bring it out to the range every now and then, cause it really is a good shooter.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a Star PD that was a great gun. A friend of mine owns dozens of Stars (Including my former PD)

I decided to sell the PD because of the lack of parts availability.

9. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I had a Star Modelo super 9mm Largo 9x24 ammo was milsurp I could only find at a gun show. but the thing was a great shooter full size 1911 frame. I just looked to see how much they go for nowadays 325.00 :O I don't know why they are so cheap. Great guns

10. pilgrim45

pilgrim45 New Member

I've owned two llamas, one was a full size 1911 in .38 Super and the other a scaled down version on the 1911 in .22 cal. Both were good shooters. I still have the .22 and carry it when fishing as a snake gun. Have shot a lot of rounds through it and rarely ever malfunctions. I agree with some of the comments about finding parts for these being hard to find.

11. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Nothing wrong with Star pistols. I still have three. A nice shooting BKM 9mm (would not part with it), Firestar .40 and a Firestar .45. Both Firestars have been 100% reliable and accurate, well built, all steel, but a tad on the heavy side for their size. But I guess that's not always a bad thing.

Jim..........

12. me762

me762 New Member

I had a star BM 9mm (before it was stolen! Grrrrr) and I loved it. It would feed anything a fed it and it shot its best group with 147 golden sabers. I changed the sight out and carried regularly. Why pay for a Springfield EMP or other high priced 9mm compact when you have an affordable reliable 9mm 1911 minus the grill safety.

13. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

I have quite a few Spaniards. As above, the Stars re great pistols, solid, reliable, accurate, usually with a great trigger.
    They have the 1911 look and feel with better lockwork IMO.
    Astra pistols are also excellent, though the designs are sometimes ...different. Look for an A75L for a nice carry pistol.
    I also have quite a few Llamas. They were built over a period of about 80 years. I have some early small-frame pistols that look just like a M1911 in 3//4 scale, with equivalent quality -very nice pistols. They did have a few decades where they fell behind in quality control, then brought in CNC equipment and fixed that.
    My rule on llamas is, if it has a slide rib, I'm suspicious. The taller the rib, the more so. the earlly pistols had smooth slides, then the rib appeared in the 1950s. Around 1997 that rib disappeared, and there were some nice Llama pistols made - 9mm, .40. .45, plus the small-frame .22 .32 .380s.
    By the way, all Spanish pistols have a date code on the frame. Google "Spanish pistol date codes" for a chart.

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

My favorites in the brood, by miles!!! Firestar M43 & M45!

Star Firestar M43 right.jpg

Star Firestar M43 left.jpg

Star Firestar M45.jpg

ForumRunner_20120904_110857.jpg

I'd be very interested in adding more, like a PD, if it weren't for the fact that parts are EXTREMELY hard to find!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  15. lovemy38

lovemy38 New Member

I just acquired a LLama MAX ll Haven't even had a chance to shoot it yet.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Shhhhhhhhhhhhish.............it's a secret!

I love shooting my Star model B but its NO 1911!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Here's a few Llamas. The small ones on the right are 380s from the 1940s

[​IMG]

18. AR1911

AR1911 New Member

Here are some Stars:

[​IMG]

Probably need to take some new pics, the collection has grown.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a friend who buys every Star PD he can find. (bought one from me too)

I got the one I had in a multi-gun buy, knowing nothing about them, and I really liked it. The only reason I sold it is I don't like having firearms that parts are hard to find. Also my buddy begged me for it and overpaid like the dickens. :)

20. hmh

hmh New Member

I have a llama micro max .380 had to do some trigger work but now its a good little gun.

Attached Files: