Live rnd stuck in chamber

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by jpretle, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpretle

jpretle New Member

How can I remove it? Part of the rim was torn off by the extractor and the brass rod method resulted in the bullet being pushed into the case.
    Thanks, Jim

2. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Try your local gun smith.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

+1, but what kind of gun is it? A little more information might help us out.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would say the gunsmith would be the safest and most logical choice at this point.

How did you rip the rim? Where you trying to fast cycle the weapon?

Is there a way to rotate the round to get fresh purchase on the rim of the case? Since you already have part of the case damaged, you might be able to use that to your advantage to twist the round.

As for the brass rod method, I would hold off going any further on that. If you pressed the round back into the body case, you definitely don't want to be pressing any further ( or your luck ).

JD

5. indy_kid

indy_kid New Member

The big danger is the live primer and any remaining powder. Since the case is torn, I'd wet the powder to render it inert before doing anything else.

In lieu of a gunsmith, here's what I would do:

Once the powder has been wetted:

1) Purchase a black-powder kit; it contains the cork-screw bullet puller used by muzzleloaders to unload live loads from their guns when they have FTF issues.
    2) Try to remove as much of the bullet lead as possible; this will allow you to retry the brass rod, given that the case can now collapse more easily. Punch carefully to try to keep the base attached to the casing.
    3) Using needle-nose pliers, try to remove the remainder of the rim and casing from the chamber.
    4) If the rim tears off, leaving the casing in the chamber, use a standard case remover to try and get that out.

If you're still unsuccessful, take it to the gunsmith.

6. jpretle

jpretle New Member

Situation remedied by using a collet set up to grab the case head. Once this was done it was 'slam hammered' out.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

HOLY CRAP BATMAN. You are one lucky guy that it didn't go off and blow your hand off and ruin your hearing.

8. bb1

bb1 New Member

You never did say what type of weapon it is. If it is a bolt action rifle. Hold the bullet in w/ the brass rod. Invert the gun and shake all the powder out. Turn it muzzle up and pour in some light oil. This will kill the primer. Let it soak. I wait days. Then use the brass or aluminum rod to knok the case out. simple and safe.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Why are you digging this up?

10. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

??????

because he cant read that its done,kaput,finished,ended.

11. bb1

bb1 New Member

I can read, you idiots can't. Everyone says "take it to a gunsmith" It's dangerous"
    A round gets stuck often enough for mr to post a good safe remedy.
    If you don't like, quit reading it.

12. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

You're pretty bold-calling respected members idiots. A whole 9 posts and you're implying you know more than everybody else??? The op's situation has long since been taken care of. If you're so hot to post then start a new thread. If you don't like it then find another forum where you can play expert.

13. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

bb1, mind your manners. So far I haven't seen you add anything to the topic except rudeness. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.