Little help

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by skrapy, Feb 17, 2014.

1. skrapy

skrapy New Member

I wish to own a 1911 that is compact but do not wish to spend a lot of money for it because if i am carrying it and god forbid have to use it the police will take it for evidence and i sure don't want them taking my 1911 that i spent a lot on...any good options or opinions? Thanks

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sir- you really need to get your priorities straight. What you should be looking for is the most reliable handgun that you can shoot well. IF you use that in defending your life, and never EVER see it again, you got your money's worth out of it.

IF your use was within the law, there is no LEGAL reason it will not be returned to you at some point. If your use was not legal, you have other problems.

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

RIA, (Rock Island Armory) or MetroArms American Classic Commander sized 1911. come in several different finishes, and calibers. very good quality made pistols, are decently priced, get very good reviews from those who own them and are decently accurate to boot.

i am on my second American Classic and the current one is a Commander sized 1911. very accurate and it cost me $about $600 NIB when i orderd it from my LGS. very pleased with it.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

What C3shooter said.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

What c3 says.

I carry the best reliable gun I can.

What a self defense piece costs is nothing compaired the cost of pulling one when your life is in danger and because you went second rate jams on the second shot...

The ONLY 1911 I trust my life and my wife's life to are my colt new agent, colt lightweight commander, and colt series 70 all recent production. There isn't another production 1911 I trust

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Would you buy cheap life insurance from an unreliable company? After all you only need your life insurance once.:eek:

7. skrapy

skrapy New Member

I understand what all of yall are saying i will eventually get my handgun back amd that could take years i carry a ruger lc9 most of the time unless its winter and with my.jacket i have my glock 22 i just want a 1911 just.to have.one but don't want to spend over 1000 especially if that's the one i use for that self defense situation and that it could take years before.i see it again

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

I really don't see a problem with the OP's reasoning. He didn't say he wants an unreliable handgun.

It is implied that he wants the most reliable, inexpensive, 1911. I see nothing wrong with not wanting a $1000 pride-piece to be in the hands of cops, for possibly years. Who knows what those guys are gonna do to the gun in the meantime.

I personally wouldn't wanna subject a Colt to that, and to possibly not have the Colt for years, if there's other options which are equally reliable but less expensive.

Do I adhere to the same train of thought? I haven't started carrying again yet, so, no.

It was time for a new signature. This is what you get.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Agree up to a point...

Honestly, I'd feel just the same about any decent gun I own( I only own "Good" guns)...now, do I want to loose my LC9 or any "Good" Gun? No, but I could have Bought a Jiminez JA22 Saturday...and would not have minded losing it,...but I'd rather live and have used a good gun to keep me and mine alive, instead of having used a crappy gun and not known if it would fire or not...

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I look at it this way.
    Car Insurance is a requirement here to get a tag on your car.

Now which insurance do you want?

The best or so-so?

So which firearm do you want? The best or so-so?

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

If your going to carry the thing get a good one. No such thing as good cheap 1911's. Most cheap 1911's will mostly function with 230grain fmj then have fits with defensive ammo.

If your not going to carry it then get what you want.

The reason I say get a colt for carry purposes in 1911's is because buying cheaper you end up spending the diff in price anyway to make them functionally as reliable as a colt. Or you end up shelving the cheaper gun or selling it then buying something else.

12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Looking around my local gun shops I've seen used Colts, Springfields, and Smith and Wesson 1911s under $1000.

I don't automatically consider any 1911 to be reliable out of the box, even Colt. Colt has had its periods of sending crap out the door too. Plan on spending some money on ammo to prove reliability to yourself with any 1911 you get.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

When I got each of my colts I was hoping it wouldn't work. Then it would get sent to the colt custom shop for repair and fitting... Heh.

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

After I get home I'll see if I can dig up some of my "Colt quality" pics.

15. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Ive seen new Kimbers at my local gun store for around 800$. The cheapest springfield's I've seen in person have been 1000$. Rock islands go for around 500$ but I'm not sure if id trust my life to one, they do have pretty decent reviews though. You should check for deals on slickguns, find one you like, and do some research on it. I personally prefer other guns but you know whats more valuable than the most expensive 1911 on the market? TRAINING. I would rather take a rock armory 1911 and get some training than a 3000$ custom one and no training, but thats if I'm using it for self defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

16. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

X me c3... what's your life worth bro? Not saying the most expensive is best... but neither is the cheapest

DONT DRINK THE KOOLAID!

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

every gun maker has problems now and then every company does. its how its handled after it comes to light that makes or breaks the deal. kinda why i wont ever purchase another kimber product.

18. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

I own a few 1911's and I disagree with you. I am a Colt guy but there are guns WAY better than Colt. Colts are just middle of the road guns. To be honest I have NEVER had a problem with ANY 1911 I have ever bought other than a Kimber.

I carry a RIA CS and love it. It eats everything I have put in it as have ALL my 1911's. Call me lucky I guess. If you really want a great carry gun then forget Colt and get a Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson etc....

To me Colt is a cheap pistol. My favs but still cheap compared to others.

My EDC.
    [​IMG]

19. mdwalkerjr

mdwalkerjr New Member Supporter

I know that beating up on Kimber seems to be the rant du jour but I have a Custom II CDP that has 800 trouble free rounds through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it's not that Kimber is a bad pistol to own, but what some of us, myself included have a problem with is paying as much as a Kimber costs and only getting a one year warranty. plus i have read where some have hadsome problems with their CS when they did have a problem with their Kimber.

personally, buying new, i would buy another brand that was about the same cost, that had a much better warranty period than a Kimber. Kimber makes some damn good looking pistols without a doubt. many people have them and have no problems whatsoever. some seem to have problems from day one of ownership. so if a person's falls into the latter group of ownership, the warranty is pretty short unless the problems are ironed out quickly. but for me, this would leave me feeling less than confident in that Kimber. myself, i might by a Kimber, but it would be a used one, with full knowledge that it might require me making it work properly, and at a very good price reflecting that.