Little concerned about my LC9

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by TerryDM, Oct 27, 2013.

1. TerryDM

TerryDM New Member

I've had my LC9 for about a month and put 50-75 rounds thru it. Last weekend after shooting it, I cleaned it and my SR9c. Today I took it out to shoot and put some FMJ Tul Ammo and Federal thru it and I had nothing but FTE's! It maybe had one in the past three weeks of shooting and then today was terrible. I thought it might be the cheaper ammo so I put 7 rounds of Hornady critical defense HP's thru it and it did the same thing.
    Did I maybe not get it as clean as I thought? The SR9c did just fine as always. I clean them both the same way. Did I maybe mess something up while cleaning it?
    I'm looking for any suggestions. Please and thank you!

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

50 to 75 rounds rounds down the pipe should not be enough to get it so dirty starts to FTE. Could you possibly be limp writing? Are you experiencing stovepipes?

Please be more descriptive of the symptoms for a better diagnosis.

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Check your extractor, do you see any wear, cracks or broken metal?

4. TerryDM

TerryDM New Member

I'm still learning. Could you explain "limp writing"? I know stovepiping and that's not what it's doing.
    Looking at the gun, the slide is stuck 2/3 way open, the spent casing is still in the pipe and the new round is only partially up into the ready to fire position.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Sorry, limp wristing is what I meant, autocorrect is not always correct. :eek:

Limp wristing counteracts some of the recoil of the gun which results in the slide not traveling the full length, thus not completely ejecting the spent shell casing.

FTE can mean either fail to extract or fail to eject. You are describing a failure to extract. If you have a new gun, discuss this problem with the dealer that sold it to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing

6. TerryDM

TerryDM New Member

Thank you!

I see what you're saying. Not limp wristing it. She (I) fired true the first 3 weeks. I did notice when I did a takedown that the slide would NOT come off easily at all. I just tried doing a takedown on it now to check the extractor and I got quite a surprise. The slide didn't want to come off again but when it finally did it looked really bad inside. Flecks of metal like something rubbing. I'm going to try and add pictures.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. TerryDM

TerryDM New Member

Horrible pics, but you can kinda see what I mean in the 2nd pic. I'm pretty sure this isn't right. Please advise.
    I'm guessing a trip back to the dealer tomorrow evening???

8. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Did you have both the LC9 and SR9c apart at the same time? If so, is it possible you accidentally swapped a part? Otherwise no idea what might be causing this and it will probably have to go back to Ruger.

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I would talk to the dealer and let him see the gun as it is in the pictures.

10. TerryDM

TerryDM New Member

No I made sure not to have them apart at the same time just for such a problem.

Thanks for all your help. I'll take it back to the dealer tomorrow night.

11. TerryDM

TerryDM New Member

Update:
    Took the gun back to the dealer and they were in disbelief but very willing to help. They sent it in to Ruger for me and 2 days later I got a call from Ruger that get they're going to replace the gun at no charge to me whatsoever. Spoke to the dealer afterward and he says they rarely do that so it must have been quite the issue.
    Thanks for all your help. I'm now just waiting on my new gun.

12. MenzRoom

MenzRoom New Member

I wonder how common it is for people to have these problems

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Glad to hear once again How Ruger takes care of their customers! I also own an LC9 & a Full size SR9. Also had the 9c for a few months last year but I'm told by the wife that it had to go to buy a new shotgun....(Jk- choice made on my own, but I did excessively buy on that GS spree!!!) I have around 1200 rds. Thru my LC and closer to 1500 thru my SR,..with not a mechanical issue at all.

14. thefourthD

thefourthD New Member

Rugers Costomer service had always ranked #1. It's a big reason I'm a Ruger fan. I had an SR22 with a failure to feed problem. Sent it in, no cost to me, but came back with a failure to fire problem. Sent it back into Ruger, again no cost, and will be receiving a replacement any day now.
    I have never had a problem with my "older" Rugers. I also have an LC9 and 4 LCPs. So far have had no problems.

15. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I love Rugers. I've had a few. I currently own more Rugers than any other make. Their customer service can't be beat.
    People will always bring up their recent recalls but Ruger always does issue a recall if needed and does their best to make the customer happy.
    In my research (and I've posted sources here before) the 2 most recalled brands are Remington and S&W.
    This does not mean they are sub standard, it's just that they've made millions upon millions of guns over the years. It's bound to happen. It takes time to work out the bugs on new models of anything wether guns, cars, or baby strollers.
    Take the new one out and give it your worst. Hopefully it will perform better than the original.