Lite surface rust on barrel, problem?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by fa35jsf, Aug 13, 2012.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have a Kimber Custom TLE II 1911 which has the stock stainless steel barrel in it. I have taken it shooting about half a dozen times and put probably 800-1000 rounds through it. I always field strip it and clean it after shooting and then re-oil and put it away in the case it came from in a drawer in my house. I live in the gulf coast area of Texas and don't carry this gun as a concealed weapon. Here's the problem:

The last two times I have stripped the weapon down I have noticed that part of the barrel is developing some very lite surface rust on the outside in the fine ridges along the barrels length. I have tried using gun cleaner on it and a nylon brush to clean it. No luck. I have tried rubbing it for awhile with a cloth and normal gun oil. No luck.

I don't know if my situation is normal or not. Does it pose a problem or lower value of gun? Is there anyway to reduce or reverse this problem.

I have shot my gun until the barrel has become too hot to touch but in my opinion any gun should be able to handle this sort of use.

Let me know what y'all think.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Do you have a dessicant in your safe? Do you use Clp?

3. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

No on the first one. I don't yet have a gun safe, just keep it in its original plastic case that it came in, the same as my other guns.

No on the second one. I use Gun Scrubber on the inside of the bore and Hoppes Lubricating oil with weatherguard on the inside and out of the barrel as well as the rest of the gun.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Try Clp its about the best rust preventer out there.

5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Is there any chance it could remove the current rust. I doubt it but maybe?

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Depends how bad it is. I usually use a cleaning patch and Clp. If that doeant work I try with Hoppes solvent. If that doesn't work I do Hoppes and a fine steel wool. Beyond that a blue and rust remover and then reblue the gun if its even worth it.

7. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well the barrel is not blued. It is stainless steel in its original shiny look. It is NOT bad at all, just lots of almost microscopic dots on about 15% of the barrel.

OK. I KNOW I'M BEING KIND OF PICKY HERE, but its a new pistol, my first pistol, and I want to keep it in the very best shape possible so I can pass it on to my son one day.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah it should take it right off and keep it from coming back.

9. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Excellent. I will give that a try and post on here my results when I can. Thank you for your help mountainman

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

it seems to be a common problem - google Kimber/rusting :(

11. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

This is not my gun because I am not home, but this is one I googled and looks close to my problem. In fact this picture might be a little worse than mine.

There seems to be lots of mixed reasoning for Kimber's rusting. I read everything from low quality stainless steel to apparently they use some sort of sand blasting machine on both carbon steel and stainless steel. From what I read some people have luck with taking stainless steel wool and rubbing down the rust spots as they appear and eventually the problem goes away.

Attached Files:

12. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Update on the rusting issue. After shooting it a bunch more and cleaning it several times with CLP, the rust spots have stopped spreading and are dramatically less noticeable. I can still look very closely and see them but it doesn't bother me anymore because of how hard it is to see.

On a side note somebody mentioned somewhere that they had small bits of brass on the barrel of their gun which made it look like rust but cleaning it with solvent got rid of them. Worth a try I suppose.