list your top five

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by hawkguy, Dec 28, 2013.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

list your top 5 additions to the mini 14 platform. these product could be related to looks, accuracy, accessories, optics, cleaning.....whatever you think a new mini owner should invest in.....:).....provide links, pics...whatever you want to do.

if you exceed 5....put the products (over 5) in your "honorable mention" section. :cool:....hopefully this could provide good info for mini newbies....

2. hawkguy

i have come across many good products for the mini over the years. if i had to choose 5 it would likely be:

1) WARNE QD rings: this just makes sense imo. not only a great product, but very handy in removing the scope for cleaning while maintaining very close to zero. great at the range to when you want some time with scope AND irons.

2) choate hand guard: although my true love will always be for the old school wood hand guards, the choate is definately a second best imo (and at a great cost). dump that ugly factory number ASAP imo.

3) accu-strut: does what a strut is supposed to do for a mini (accuracy improvement, heat sink) and i appreciate the thorough testing accu-strut did to prove their product.

4) specter gear 2 point sling: love it! fits the looks of the mini and works well imo.

5) ANY flexible cleaning rod: will save you a headache cleaning imo.

honorable mentions: ruger factory mags (only ones worth having imo), wilson 1911 buffers, redfield revolution 2-7 scope (good glass, perfect fit), john masen recoil pad (for looks), wipeout bore cleaner, hornady v-max ammo (very accurate in my gun).

will report back if i missed somethin'! :D

3. hawkguy

my mini sporting a few of my "top five"....that specter gear sling....plain sexy imo! :p

Attached Files:

4. sandog

sandog Member

My top five:
    1) Ruger factory mags
    2) Ultimak
    3) Accustrut
    4) Tech sight
    5)Hogue stock

5. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

1. Gundoc trigger job.

2. Glass bedded stock.

3. Warne Q.D. rings. (Can't be posted enough)

4. Threaded barrel. (to try different muzzle parts)

5. Inch lb. torque wrench. (For gas block)

And for me "The Arms Room" light mount and Gundocs' reduced gas bushing.

6. Charley

Charley New Member

1. FACTORY mags
    2. Accu-Strut
    3. Warne rings
    4. Choate stock
    5. FACTORY mags :D

7. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

1. Houge Overmolded stock
    2. Fixed 4 or 6 power scope
    3. Trigger Job
    4. A strut
    5. Muzzle break

8. hawkguy

good input, guys....keep it coming!

this was kinda what i expected and hoped for. some the best, most reliable products/addition keep re-appearing in different posters lists....:)....some great input for the new mini owner.

if there are any less popular, yet effective additions....add it to this thread.

9. hawkguy

good choices! these have always, imo....stayed among the most "go to" mods for mini 14 accuracy. i think many MINI newbies need to be aware of the legend GUN DOC. :)

useful for fixing your gas block, and once you have a torque wrench you end using it for so many different things.

good additions! :)

10. hawkguy

great list....but did you mention FACTORY MAGS? ;)

i have had ONE malfunction in 1500 rounds in my mini 14.....using GUESS WHAT? a PROMAG! haven't used it since! :eek:

11. hawkguy

the ultimak has been suggested many times before. tell me what you like about it....what improvements has it made in your opinion?

tell me about the tech sights....most seem to really like them....can you mount a traditional scope over them, or must you go scout set up once they are installed?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I recently bought a standard blue/wood Ranch Rifle, 582 series. I don't want a "tactical" look since I already have ARs. Instead, I want a classic rifle look, much like the M14 it was based on. So my Top Five list is pretty basic.

1. Ruger 20 round magazines
    2. Tapco Intrafuse Gen2 30 round magazines
    3. Choate or Federal Ordinance, Inc. composite handguard
    4. Basic black M4 2-point sling (working well for now, considering other options)
    5. 4" SOCOM Accu-Strut

Honorable mention: optics, but so far I'm sticking with the standard iron sights, later I'll consider optics

13. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

That specter gear sling looks great. I think I need one. My top 5 are:
    1. Accu-strut
    2.Warne qd rings (need to get a set)
    3. Ruger 30rd mags
    4.2 point sling (now I need that sexy specter gear one)
    5. Traditional rifle stock ( I like my mini looking like an m14 rather than a "tacticool" rifle.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

1 - the leather German WW2 strap

2 - the Redfield BattleZone 3-9x40mm 5.56x45 scope

3 - the clip-on bipod

4 - bikini scope covers

5 - a 10 clip M-1 Garand bandoleer (works well for 10 round mag's)

Attached Files:

15. rdraider

rdraider New Member

1. ASI adjustable gas block, or new bushings. (have)
    2. Warne QD Rings (want)
    3. Tech Sights (want, maybe)
    4. AccuStrut (want)
    5. Scope (taking recommendations)

16. hawkguy

tell us how it has worked out for you....
    a great investment if you want to use scope AND irons easily. also makes cleaning/dissemble manageable with a scope over the action.
    i have no experience with them. i hear very good things about them though. they always look as if they are very tall and might hinder scope attachment. :confused:
    i great investment for older minis. still a pretty good addition for newer models imo. but only the 2 clamp strut is proven to improve accuracy.
    now THAT'S a can of worms....:p. i am at a point where i think a small, low power variable scope is my new preference. (1-3, 1-4). but for every poster, there will be a scope opinion! ;)

17. FernandoTheCommando

In regards to the scope, I haven't bought one yet.....but, I hear great things about Nikon pro staffs on the mini. A lot of the reviews I've seen are guys that have either a pro staff 2-7x or the ar .223 one on their mini. I'd do the adjustable gas block but I haven't found a reliable gun smith in my area yet and I'm not comfortable doing it myself. Good luck with everything and I hope everyone who upgrades will let us know how it worked out.

18. rdraider

rdraider New Member

It was really easy. I wouldn't hesitate. I was a little worried at first, but if you're careful once the screws are loose, its a piece of pie.

As far as how the ASI gas block is working out...
    Mine is a very early one as bought it 6+ years ago. It looks like somebody took a regular factory block, drilled a horizontal hole through the front and put a spring and screw in it. Which is basically what they did. Mine cost $100 and some change. If I didn't already have it, i would purchase their adjustable gas block/strut combo. It would be worth the money for an older mini.
    It has performed great. My Mini would throw brass 30 feet. I installed the block and went to the range.
    I turned the screw to the point that it was a single shot.
    And then turned it back a half turn till the action worked correctly with no jams.
    And left it. It no drops brass 5 feet from the gun and has reduced battering of the action by a good margin. The buffers still help to reduce jarring of the scope.

By the way. I don't know if anybody else have this problem with theirs, but my scope with factory rings would not stay put until i put on the gas block and the buffers. Not even loctite would keep it in place.

19. FernandoTheCommando

Hey raider, did you do 1911 buffers in it? If so, did you put one against the front of the gas block and one behind the op rod? I've heard of people putting them in both places and it causing failure to feed or the slide not locking back on an empty magazine.