list of firearms registered to you

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by ashley, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ashley

ashley New Member

I am from Kentucky and I don't know if there are different laws for different states, but does anyone know where can I get a list of firearms that are registered in my name?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

First, welcome to the forum. Most new members stop by the introductions section and cordially make acquaintance.

Second, yes, each state has different laws regarding firearms registration. Most do not have an official registration process. I'm not sure about Kentucky, but if you had to submit registration above and beyond the paperwork filled out during the purchase from an FFL process then you should know.

Third, how would you not know what firearms you have purchased?

Fourth, there is no registry on the national level. The FFL you have purchased from has to keep records of sales.

Fifth, how would you not know what firearms you have registered?

Come to think of it, how many have you registered?

3. ashley

ashley New Member

I know what guns I have registered in my name and where I bought them. I'am going through a divorce and my husbands wants to take guns that I purchased for myselfe before I even knew him. And I have no reciepts for some of them.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ahh, I see. Well, go to where you bought them. The FFL seller has to keep records. I really don't think that Kentucky has any actual registration so the sales records is what you need. Buying one through an FFL is not registration. But, you do need to talk to an attorney. We here at the FTF failed the BAR exam many times over. :)

Sorry to hear about the divorce. :(

5. ashley

ashley New Member

Thanks a lot.

6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more than that. There are extremely knowledeable members here, but legal advice is not our specialty as a whole.

Keep us in the loop as we don't want to see anyone lose any firearms in a divorce. What's yours is yours and what's his is his in my book.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Hang on to your guns Ashley.

8. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

My question is if you have guns and you're getting a divorce wh doesn't he simply just "disappear" :p

Hopefully everything works out okay for you.

9. opaww

opaww New Member

There is no gun registeration here in Ky. At best you will have to go to each place you bought the gun from and see if they will go back in the records and get the info you need.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is there anyone you can "sell" your guns to until everything is finalized? If you are in separation, it should be easy to move them. Also contact the sellers of the guns bought after the marriage ceremony. Make a list (including serial numbers) and present it as joint acquired property.

Rumors have been around about a 2007 Corvette for $500. The reason it was so cheap, the husband and wife have to split things or sell things and give the other spouse half.

11. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

I would definatley talk to your attorney, I kniw here in VA items that are sold during separation for the reasons mentioned above are split by their appraisal value but there really isn't an official appraisal value on firearms so it should be easy to "sell" them to a friend and "buy" them back later if you so wish

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

What guns? You didn't have any guns, he says you did? Have him show the proof they exist. :D
    ;);)

13. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I approve of that idea.

If they can find enough pieces of him at least.

14. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

+1. The burdon of proof is his. If he cannot show a copy of the ATF 4473 from (the form you fill out when you purchase a gun from an FFL dealer), then he can SAY anything. Tell him you want that one pound brick of gold you bought and he took.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Ashley, first, we are gun buffs, not Lawyers licensed in KY. But since my shooting partner is 14, and also named Ashley, will try to offer some advice-

1. Talk to a lawyer. Property owned prior to marriage is usually not considered community property. Community property does not mean it is his, means half and half.

2. Kentucky does not have registration. There is no Federal registration. Very common misconception. When you buy a gun from a dealer, he has you complete a form, and he keeps that in HIS records for 20 years. To be blunt, it is a pain in the butt to go dig thru the records by hand to find one. If you ask the dealer nicely, and can tell him month and year of purchase, he may be able to find it for you.

3. In case you missed it, talk to a lawyer. And good luck.

16. opaww

opaww New Member

Or you can bring the guns to my house and I will give you a recept for them showing that you sold them for $5 so you could split the money equaly in the devorce. After the devorce I will give them back to you.

17. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

I am really sorry about you going through a divorce, which may be a relief to you but I would be upset too if my husband wanted my guns that I had before we were married. I would have to say to get up with Opaww lol. If that is what you need to do to keep them then go where you bought them and see if they have a record. Again I am sorry that you are going through this rough patch right now. This is a great forum and you will find a lot of wonderful people that will give some excellent advice. :)

18. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

After you sell the guns to Oppaw for 5$ tear the bill in half and send him half the bill.:D

19. jennifernlarry

jennifernlarry New Member

What if my ex was awarded the gun in a divorce? How could i find out if its still in my name?

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I do not think Alabama has a registry. If you have the court paperwork awarding the ex with the gun, don't sweat if.