Lingo thread sticky

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Nyuu, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

I know I'm pretty new here, so I might've overlooked a thread like this that's already been posted, but I couldn't find one in the sections I checked. It's possible that no one has ever needed one, but I know it'd help me.

Basically what I'm suggesting is that an experienced and knowledgeable person make a thread with all the different acronyms, abbreviations, and etc defined for those of us who want to learn it all or who get help from someone but can't completely understand what the other person was saying.

For instance, what MOA means. Or LEO. Those are two acronyms that I don't know anything about that would be good for this list.

Anyways, was just a suggestion. I may not be the only lazy bastard having to look up all the terms. :)

Edited for updates (credit goes to everyone that posted in this thread):
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

Firearm Barrel - A cylindrical piece (normally consisting of metal) that has a version of imbedded twists (polygonal, or lands and grooves) internally to initiate a projectile spin as the projectile travels the length of the cylinder assisting the projectile to have a predetermined path to arrive at its expected point of impact.

SHTF- sh_t hit the fan

OP - original post

Mils - Milliradians (see) http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

BBL - Bull Barrel (Rifle barrel that is thicker then the normal hunting rifle barrel)

opaww - Hard core *** Hole, commenly known as a hate monger, Radical right wing gun nut, Pro-American/pro-Constitution/pro-Bill of Rights.

TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It

-------------------------

Minute Of Angle -

Along with MOA you may also encounter the term "clicks" which refers to the sound that SOME iron sight adjustments or scope adjustments make when you turn them to correct the "zero" on your sights.

Many target shooters will use the term "clicks" in place of MOA since it is a way to fine tune your sight adjustments. If the sight or scope has "1/2 MOA" adjustments (each line marking or click) it will adjust the bullets impact by approx 1/2" @ 100 yards. So turning the adjustment two lines or clicks on the sight will move the impact by 1 inch @ 100 yards. The same sight or scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments will require you to turn the adjustment four lines or clicks to get the same 1 inch change in your bullet impact @ 100 yards.

It's just easier to remember to adjust your sights by 14 "clicks" vs. 3.7 MOA when you are doing a lot of distance / wind adjustments.....

The idea of course is to get your sights adjusted to where the bullet strikes exactly where you line up your sight(s) on the intended target, which would be your POA. (Point of Aim.)

-------------------------

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Very good idea. I am fairly new and have been mulling over these acronyms, too. I did figure out LEO mean Law Enforcement Officer. I'm not sure about MOA. When I don't know, I just ask someone. Everyone has been very kind and helpful to me here.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

MOA = minute of angle. Deals with rifle accuracy (not a rifle guy myself).

LEO = law enforcement officer - a cop.

Fire away and somebody will jump in to help...

4. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Minute Of Angle

Along with MOA you may also encounter the term "clicks" which refers to the sound that SOME iron sight adjustments or scope adjustments make when you turn them to correct the "zero" on your sights.

Many target shooters will use the term "clicks" in place of MOA since it is a way to fine tune your sight adjustments. If the sight or scope has "1/2 MOA" adjustments (each line marking or click) it will adjust the bullets impact by approx 1/2" @ 100 yards. So turning the adjustment two lines or clicks on the sight will move the impact by 1 inch @ 100 yards. The same sight or scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments will require you to turn the adjustment four lines or clicks to get the same 1 inch change in your bullet impact @ 100 yards.

It's just easier to remember to adjust your sights by 14 "clicks" vs. 3.7 MOA when you are doing a lot of distance / wind adjustments..... :p

The idea of course is to get your sights adjusted to where the bullet strikes exactly where you line up your sight(s) on the intended target, which would be your POA. (Point of Aim.)

Now -- see what you've started....... :D

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I just put the abbreviation into a web search engine when I find one I don't understand. I use Dogpile and usually have the answer without even opening the suggested sites.

Dogpile Web Search

6. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Well I'm not opposed to searching, of course. It's just the initial times I searched MOA I got things about Mall of America and a few other random links. After a bit of looking through them I found the gun related one, which is when I stopped searching. But I figured having a thread full of them already defined would be a great idea and prevent confusion for those of us noobs :)

@Highpower: That's exactly what I was hoping to get with this thread. A great explanation! Thank you very much! I hope we can get more acronyms and phrases defined like that in this thread.

@NGIB and winds-of-change: Thanks for the LEO definition. You'd think I'd know that one already having a real dad as a cop and a step-dad as a cop... haha.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Here's one I just learned!

Adam Henry

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most "lingo" will be picked up as you go along. I do not have any problem answering a serious question (I was new myself at one time).

Firearm Barrel: A cylindrical piece (normally consisting of metal) that has a version of imbedded twists (polygonal, or lands and grooves) internally to initiate a projectile spin as the projectile travels the length of the cylinder assisting the projectile to have a predetermined path to arrive at its expected point of impact.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Similar to Whiskey Tango?

10. opaww

opaww New Member

SHTF= sh_t hit the fan

OP = original post

Mils = Milliradians (see) http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

BBL = Bull Barrel (Rifle barrel that is thicker then the normal hunting rifle barrel)

opaww = Hard core *** Hole, commenly known as a hate monger, Radical right wing gun nut, Pro-American/pro-Constitution/pro-Bill of Rights.

All I can think of right now

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It.

12. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Haha thanks opaww and robocop. I'm gonna go ahead and copy all of this to my first post that way people don't have to go through pages of this thread if this ever does catch on. And I'll update it as more people add more lingo.

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You know....I don't know!

14. winds-of-change

Okay, I see mention of carrying what I believe is a second gun as a "bug". What does that mean?

15. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Back-Up Gun.... which could also be placed in your:

BOB - Bug Out Bag

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  16. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

PITA = Pain in the A$$ (or my wife's pet name for me)

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

RF- rimfire CF Center fire (denotes type of cartridge)

Simple (not perfect, but simple) a minute of angle refers to 1/60th of a degree- 1 minute of angle is 1 inch at 100 yards. So a shot group that is 1 MOA is a 1 inch group at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200 yards, etc. "Minute of Bad Guy" is being able to hit a person doing you harm.

FMJ- Full Metal Jacket - bullet where gilding metal covers all forward facing lead.
    TMJ either a painful jaw condition, or Total Metal Jacket- no exposed lead anywhere- useful for reducing airborne lead on indoor ranges.
    JSP- Jacketed Soft Point JHP- jacketed hollow point RN- Round nosed WC- Wadcutter- target bullet, shaped like can of soup, made to cut neat holes in paper target SWC- Semi wadcutter- bullet shaped like soup can, with upside down cupcake on front end, made for cutting neat holes in bad guys.

Some names are from makers- .22 WMR Winchester Magnum Rimfire- proper name of .22 magnum .45 ACP- Automatic Colt Pistol (cartridge)

BATFE or sometime just ATF- US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Would make a hell of a convenience store, but Fed agency that regulates many firearms things, like licensing dealers.

FFL- Federal Firearms License- one of several licenses issued- May be a Dealer, manufacturer, Manufacturer of ammo, importer, etc.

C&R, or 03 C&R FFL- one type of FFL that can be held by a collector- C&R is Curio & Relic Firearm (50 years old or older gun)

Class III or NFA- National Firearms Act- Fed law that covers machineguns, sawed off shotguns or rifles, sound suppressors, etc.

FTF Fail to feed, or fail to fire. Or a sale of a gun- face to face.

SN Serial number

DA, SA, DAO double action (pistol that can be fired just by pulling trigger) single action (think cowboys- pistol must have hammer cocked for each shot, then trigger pulled) and Double Action Only (cannot have hammer cocked, must pull trigger with LONG trigger pull)

SMLE- Short Magazine Lee Enfield- the .303 caliber British Army rifle

M/N Moisin Nagant- Russian miltary rifle

K-98- The German Mauser 98 in a karbine length

C3Shooter- Kindly, harmless old gent that will keep smiling while he steals your wallet, watch, woman, and gets you to pay for the drinks.

18. Nyuu

Nyuu New Member

Well, I didn't realize you could only edit your post so many times before it doesn't let you edit it anymore... I can't add the new terms to the list, haha. But, if a mod decides to sticky it, it might let me edit it again. That or the mod will need to add them all manually.

Thanks for all the definitions everyone.

19. winds-of-change

C3shooter, the last one was pretty funny.

Okay, here's ANOTHER question from me. I thought a FMJ was a totally covered no lead exposed bullet. So how is it different than a TMJ?

20. opaww

opaww New Member

FMJ may and most times have the bottom of the bullet open with lead showing