Limited information on a new Savage

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by AlotOfPayne, Jan 5, 2014.

1. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

I just bought a Savage Model 11 VT now if you look at the savage website you will not find this gun turns out savage has an exclusive deal with dicks they make it and ship it to them dicks sells it you won't find it at any other gun store just dicks it has a 24" heavy barrel beaver tail forehand with 2 swivel studs and is free floated comes with a bushnell 4-12x30 I think I'll have to check it out tomorrow morning I bout it because it was exactly what I was looking for it comes in 223,
    22-250,243,308, I think even 7mm I got it in 243 what do y'all know about it

2. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

It was on sale for $479 has an accutrigger so I thought its what I was looking for and I like the way it felt I feel like I got a lot of gun for the dollar opinions very welcomed here

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the overall rifle is a solid design and has an excellent reputation for accuracy. Dicks just contracts our certain features they want and won't be available from another retailer. nothing different that Cabelas or Bass Pro shops or any of the other big box stores do as far as having a specific firearm model they sell exclusively.

Sears, Western Auto, Montgomery Wards and others did pretty much the same thing many years ago, with their exclusive rollmarks and model numbers specific to them.

4. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

I'll post pictures tomorrow and range results when I go to the range from the bushnell that came with it I'm gonna toss that scope and put one from vipers line on there

5. Axxe55

just curious as to why even buy the rifle with a scope if you plan on replacing it anyways. seems rather counterproductive to buy one with a scope then replace it, when you could actually buy pretty much the same rifle without a scope for less.

6. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

I wanted a 243 with a heavy barrel less then 26" with the wider forehand stock and I was gonna spend probably around or up too 800 with no scope I've looked and looked and just couldn't make up my mind on which gun I wanted I had to take my sister in law into the big city and there mall had a dicks sporting goods in it I've never bought anything from there and me and my wife were passing through dicks on our way out and I said let me look at there guns and it caught my I I said that's about what I'm looking for I asked to see checked it out and my wife said hey it's on sale you should buy it I looked at the tag it said 479 I was shocked because I figured it would be around 600 i wasn't expecting to find that gun plus it came with a scope so I bought it felt great I was way under my price range I was planning on spending but I want to put good glass on it so ill just use that scope for a different gun

7. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

And I wasn't back tracking because I was planning on spending around 800 with out a scope and they don't sale that gun with or without it was a package deal so I saved in my budget about 300 that I can put towards the glass

8. Axxe55

i would try it out with the Bushnell first. it might suprise you. Bushnell makes some decent scopes.

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Give the Bushnell a good try before you decide. It's not necessarily bad just because it came in a package. I've tracked totally different brand scopes to apparently the same nameless facility in the Philippines. Bet you a lot if scopes we know by brand were separated at birth in China.

10. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

I'm sure it's decent I just want something with a little more magnification for longer shots it looks clear that's why I figured it would be really good on another gun or like a friend in need

11. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

Plus I want a reticle with mil dots and mil turrets that's for target shooting by the way this my first savage what should I expect

12. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I'll bet that Savage is competition over Ruger's American Rifle for the price. Savage is quite a bargain in precision shooting nowadays. You're gonna have fun with that lil noise maker.

Some other Scopes to check out besides the Vortex, would be Weaver Classic V-series, Redfield Revelation, Nikon ProStaff, Mueller AVP/APT models, Bushnell Elite 4200.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Most Bushnell scopes are made by Meade labs. The make a simple scope that is supposed to be very durable. Meade is a telescope company that was purchased by bushnell, simmons, BSA. Apparently Meade is their way to improve the quality of their scopes.

I bought a 3x9 simmons that was made by meade. It does not drift, fog or give me any grief at all. I walked out of a 73 degree house into 40 degree misting rain to test the scope out. I shot about 50 rounds and the scope never fogged or gave me any grief. I have rode it on a tractor and a 4 wheeler, it did not drift at all.

All in all this means your bushnell might be better than you think.

14. bigjim

bigjim New Member

You should expect a 1/2 MOA right out of the box, even better if you reload.

Jim

15. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

Thanks everyone for all your opinions I think the scope will be nice I just want a different reticle but ill put in on a different rifle that needs better glass can anyone tell me more about this gun like if I was to change stocks down the road what would I go by because I don't see anything about a model 11 vt or is it the same as savages model 11 so when I get a aftermarket stock do I just get one that fits there model 11

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Since it is your first, be sure you understand your scope needs. 12x is a lot. Higher X will commit you to really long range shooting, but may slow you down on target acquisition. You will need a really solid platform. If that's what you want okay just know it before paying $$$

17. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

Ya it's my first savage not first rifle guys I plan on shooting out to 500 yards so I need something easier to make adjustments and just simple cross hairs is not easier then have mil lines in your reticle to make fast adjustments

18. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

It's probably the same as a Model 11, but don't hold me to it. It is made to Dick's specifications, which means it comes with a Scope Package. This is probably where the VT comes from as a Model. Also it probably has a different looking Stock, but probably same cut-outs as what Savage's Action is. However, look at Savage Model 11 and see if Barrels are same. See if Savage 11 is also Bull or Pencil Barrel compared to what the VT has.

I too have a Savage that is rare and not known in the Rifle World. I got it at a LGS and found out that it was an Exclusive Made Model for Jerry's Outdoors that was ordered and shipped to Missouri. It's a 22LR AXIS(you'll find they only make Centerfire on website) and they only made 300 in 2011. It was a combo of Stevens and Savage components w/Plastic Stock. Only way I found out about it was I had to call Savage and talk to an Exec.

19. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

Thanks triumphman I am calling them today they have been closed due to holidays but I believe they are open today ill call and let y'all know what they say