Lilttle project on my Rossi 92...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by RevJammer, Jul 9, 2013.

  1. RevJammer

    RevJammer Member

    98
    0
    6
    I have finally gotten around to doing something with the wood stock on my Rossi .357. Original finish is flat.

    This pic shows the forestock (which I have done nothing to) for comparison sake. The stock is about half done in this pic.

    This is my first attempt at a project like this.

    [​IMG]



    RJ
     
  2. shadecorp

    shadecorp Active Member Supporter

    1,461
    3
    38
    Very Nice.
    Will send you mine.
     

  3. Garadex

    Garadex New Member

    1,267
    0
    0
  4. Axxe55

    Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

    7
    2
    0
    very nice! looks good so far. looking forward to seeing it finished. :D
     
  5. mdauben

    mdauben New Member

    441
    0
    0
    Very nice! What exactly did you do to the butt stock? It looks 1000% better than the fore end.
     
  6. RevJammer

    RevJammer Member

    98
    0
    6
    I started by wetsanding with 400 grit sandpaper, not a deep sand.. just lightly, then started applying Tru-oil. In between coats of Tru-oil I would lightlyl wet buff with 0000 steel wool. I would allow it to dry until it wasn't tacky (I work in my garage which is NOT temp controlled), sometimes it would be 3-4 hours other times it was 24.

    In this pic I'm about 5 coats in. My plan is to do 10 coats of Tru-Oil, then seal it with some "wax". Again, since this is my first try I"m not 100% sure on the "wax".

    I have one small "run" in the finish, but don't want to strip it down and start over - I buffed it out pretty good and is only noticeable if you are really looking for it. I have now started on the fore end and I'm about 3 coats in, same process.

    When I am completely done I'll reassemble it and post a pic. Thanks for your comments!
     
  7. SSGN_Doc

    SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

    6,925
    53
    48
    To speed things up, try goodling Tru-oil and Armor All. I had good results on a Marlin 336. I could get 5 coats done in a day easily. The Armor All works as a catalyst to speed up the drying of the Tru-oil. Do small areas at a time. Look up the directions though. I think Rimfire Central had a thread that went into good detail on the process, that I used as a reference when I did my Marlin.
     
  8. DrumJunkie

    DrumJunkie New Member

    4,823
    0
    0
    Looks real good to me.:)
     
  9. mdauben

    mdauben New Member

    441
    0
    0
    Thanks for the info, RJ! I may have to try this myself. :)
     
  10. RevJammer

    RevJammer Member

    98
    0
    6

    Glad to help... it's not hard, go for it!