Lilttle project on my Rossi 92...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by RevJammer, Jul 9, 2013.

1. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I have finally gotten around to doing something with the wood stock on my Rossi .357. Original finish is flat.

This pic shows the forestock (which I have done nothing to) for comparison sake. The stock is about half done in this pic.

This is my first attempt at a project like this.

[​IMG]

RJ

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Very Nice.
    Will send you mine.

3. Garadex

Garadex New Member

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

very nice! looks good so far. looking forward to seeing it finished. :D

5. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Very nice! What exactly did you do to the butt stock? It looks 1000% better than the fore end.

6. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

I started by wetsanding with 400 grit sandpaper, not a deep sand.. just lightly, then started applying Tru-oil. In between coats of Tru-oil I would lightlyl wet buff with 0000 steel wool. I would allow it to dry until it wasn't tacky (I work in my garage which is NOT temp controlled), sometimes it would be 3-4 hours other times it was 24.

In this pic I'm about 5 coats in. My plan is to do 10 coats of Tru-Oil, then seal it with some "wax". Again, since this is my first try I"m not 100% sure on the "wax".

I have one small "run" in the finish, but don't want to strip it down and start over - I buffed it out pretty good and is only noticeable if you are really looking for it. I have now started on the fore end and I'm about 3 coats in, same process.

When I am completely done I'll reassemble it and post a pic. Thanks for your comments!

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

To speed things up, try goodling Tru-oil and Armor All. I had good results on a Marlin 336. I could get 5 coats done in a day easily. The Armor All works as a catalyst to speed up the drying of the Tru-oil. Do small areas at a time. Look up the directions though. I think Rimfire Central had a thread that went into good detail on the process, that I used as a reference when I did my Marlin.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Looks real good to me.:)

9. mdauben

mdauben New Member

Thanks for the info, RJ! I may have to try this myself. :)

10. RevJammer

RevJammer Member

Glad to help... it's not hard, go for it!