Like Watching a Trainwreck....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Anyone catch the new series called "Man vs. Cartoon" ??

The idea is that a bunch of Engineers and Students of Engineering put some of the craziest Wile E. Coyote contraptions together and make them work in real life to actually "kill" a roadrunner.

This episode that I just saw was one where Wile E. had this really intricate series of events ( he slingshots a stick, allowing a water can to spill water and grow a flower, that strikes a match on a rock, which blows up some dynamite and send a boot with a brick flying to land on a see-saw that releases a mouse, who runs over and steals some cheese, which allows a weight to fall, which pulls the trigger on a rifle, who's projectile bounces off two plates, hits a cannon, that tips over and gets it fuse lit to fire a cannonball at the roadrunner ).

As always happens, the coyote gets drilled with the cannonball...

So, a group of (3) 2 person teams of students gear up to make the whole thing work in real life....

It was like watching a Train Wreck and I couldn't stop laughing. These big brained people have proved what I have ALWAYS said about Engineers - THEY HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY BUILT ANYTHING IN THEIR LIVES!!!!

OMG!! Their use of tools and their ideas about how to "stabilize" things - Oh, I was dying.... I was literally laughing so hard at one point I had to replay it just to see how much OVERTHINKING these two people put into a table, to support a slingshot.....

Anyone seen this masterpiece yet??

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'll keep an eye out for it. Sounds hilarious. Like Mythbusters only done by people with degrees instead of experience.

What channel is it on?

3. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I love cartoons, and I love watching smart people be stupid. I'm sold. I'll buy it on DVD or something.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The mark of a good engineer is the simplicity of design.

I can't count the number of engineers I have had to work with and the result was kinda hostle and heated. Don't get me started. I have worked with some great engineers, but they usually had hands on experience as well. My favorite two word phrase, "In theory."

5. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

There are engineers who do design work, and there are engineers who design AND build things. I am one of the latter. Skullcrusher is right when he syas that hands on experience makes a better engineer. My design philosophy is KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

TXnorton

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

7. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

Here it is

If anyone here ever wonders why I love a post by this Blunt, tell it exactly like it is man. Here is a typical Cpttango response. I love it. GO TANGO> HE!! YEAH.:D

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Sounds like the engineers where my dad works. He works for Gibbs Racing and everything has to go thru engineering in order to make it on to a car. Well, if it works fine, it not, the engineers stand there like a monkey doing a math problem because they have NEVER ACTUALLY BUILT ANYTHING...

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I saw the comercials for Man vs Cartoon, but forgot to watch it :(. Looked like something I would want to watch. But if its just a bunch of nerds who haven't lifted a hammer before in their life trying to build Rube Goldberg machines, I'm going to pass.

Side note: Mythbusters is a fantastic show.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

+1000
    My Dad was one of the latter also. He also claimed that the simplest design was usually the best design. He designed an artificial heart in our basement in the 1970's. It was patented and it peaked the interest of Dr's DeBakey and Cooley at the University of Texas (?) who invited him down for the operation where they transplanted it into two dogs. They lived. He would come home from work, eat dinner, get a scotch, and sit down with a pad and pencil in front of the TV. He also designed an instrument used in corneal transplant surgery called a keratometer. It maps the radius of curvature of the cornea to allow transplant corneas to be better matched to their recipients, lowering the rejection rate. Before he died he was working on an artificial kidney - Several Dr's wanted to talk to him but by that time his alzheimers had progressed too far and he knew it, so his design died with him.

Some inventions don't need to be designed by a mechanic to work properly. A good understanding & working knowledge of math, physics, and other sciences is sufficient.
    Without Engineers, you would be wiping your a$$es with leaves and living in caves!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Anyways............:cool:

So these Engineering Students are trying to build this contraption and they have duct tape going, there is bailing wire, there is the most rickety platform for some sort of golfball, railing, travel fuse thingy ( that's the technical term so bite me ) - Man alive, I was in tears......

They needed a cannon, so team 3 "borrows" a potato cannon from some group on campus and demonstrates it for the teachers. The potato went about 20 inches from the launcher and one of the teachers burst out laughing.... LOL

Later on the teacher ended up making a super cool, super simple black powder cannon that fired an 8 inch bowling ball about 400 feet through the air.

It's definitely got a Mythbusters type of feel to it, but the people performing the works of "science" are definitely NOT the experienced type.
    Of the whole 6 person build team, one dude could run a table saw and swing a hammer. The rest of them looked like a bunch of Muppets. :D

Definitely going to tune in next week and see what new disaster they recreate.... LOL

12. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

That's why Wile E. Coyote was so funny.

That was the point of the cartoons...Rube Goldberg devices to do some very simple task. I grew up in the 50s and there was a newspaper cartoon (for the life of me I can't remember its name though...maybe Smokey Joe or something) that featured Rube Goldberg devices just randomly tossed into the mix. There would be this overly complex device just to light the character's cigar or toss a piece of paper into the trash can.

In fact, the Milton Bradley game, Mousetrap, is a Rube Goldberg device. :D