Like to start comp shooting! question is HOW?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Azdoc, May 22, 2010.

1. Azdoc

Azdoc New Member

I would like to start competetion shooting. I would like to use my AR15/M4. what leagues or clubs are out there for that.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Most national organizations will have date, times, locations on their websites. Local ranges that sponsor competitions should have info. Chat with range patrons. Show up at the first one with what gear you have (you may be asked to join in), but be prepared to look, learn, listen, and volunteer to paste targets, clean up brass, etc. If there is not competition in your local area, you may also want to see if you can start on at your local range. As with most organizations, "A few will end up doing the work of many.", so take that in account. Volunteers are always needed. Good Luck

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Azdoc welcome!!

Not knowing where you're from if local gun stores and gun ranges can't help, I would go a google search of your area and see what comes up.

4. Azdoc

Azdoc New Member

Underfire
    thanks for the help. I'm a rural area of upstate New York Watertown hope that helps. maybe you can give a direction to go in.. Like websites, gear, ammo, targets. thanks for any information you might have ..

5. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Azdoc,
    Now knowing that you're from New York some of the other members from New York will chime in.

AR15/M4 competitions are getting more & more popular.
    Even in my little redneck area of Florida the local range is going to start having Action AR15 competitions. As far as targets & ammo the organizer of the competition will dictate what is to be used. As far as websites you'll have to google some for your local area.

Can local gun stores & gun ranges help?
    Also practice as much as possible because if you can't meet the organizers criteria for hitting the target you'll have to stand on the sidelines.
    For example: I shoot long distance rifle competition from time to time.
    Before the meet the shooters have to qualify. Targets are set at 500yrds.
    The shooter has to be able to hit the designated target with all 5 shots.
    The competition is from 600yrds to 1000yrds, qualification is 500yrds.
    That's just for that particular competition in my area. Qualification criteria will differ depending on event & organizer.

I wish I could be more help.
    Good Luck!!

6. Last Crow

Last Crow New Member

This is a link to CMP to NY from the CMP Club and Competition tracker. There is not a listing for a club in Watertown, but maybe you can find one close.
    Club Search Submit
    You don’t have to be a member of a gun club to shoot on there CMP shoot. They charge a range fee to both members and non members. One club I shoot at some times charges $10 to non members the club I belong to charges $3 to members. Many clubs also sell ammo.
    I was in Watertown a few years back when I had a summer camp at Ft Drum.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  7. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

I wish you luck finding shooting opportunities in Watertown. I just left there back in November and at the time was not an avid shooter. Getting back to the south has made all things "gun" much easier.
    Enjoy your time in the beautiful north country.

8. Azdoc

Azdoc New Member

Last Crow, UnderFire, SGT Calle
    thank you so much for the Infomation. I will help me get on the way. Sorry to bug you all I'm full of question. what is a good tartget to shoot, type of ammo. Hearing protection. Things like that.. or a good place to buy those things so I can practices

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Go to the gun range that you go to; Find the clubs that go to that range and shoot these AR type rifles in competition and meet and greet them; Start with their practice sessions and local matches and shoot. Shoot all they have to offer local and then go from there. It doesn't matter if in the begining you finish last in these matches. It's shooting time under the match constraints (usually time and accuracy) that's going to make you better. The more you do it the better you will get and the more fun you will have.

I guess that I'm saying to just get into it and do it if thats really what you want to do. Be warned, however, it can become very addictive as well as spendy. But, IMO, it's some of the best fun you can have regardless of addiction and expense.

10. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

11. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

You're not buggin' me...that's how we learn. :)
    I assume your question about which targets, ammo & hearing protection is for practice since the organizer of the competition will dictate which ammo & targets to be used.
    1st Hearing Protection- it's all personal preference...I like muffs. If you decide on muffs don't go cheap we're talking about your ears here. Look for the highest decibel protection rating.
    2nd Practice Targets- I like the "Shoot-N-C" for practice. They allow maximum visibility; bullet holes are revealed with bright chartreuse rings.
    Targets have repair pasters to cover bullet holes & extend target life.

Invest in a good pair of binoculars to see your shots down range.

3rd Ammo- I assume your AR15/M4 is chambered in .223. Hopefully there's a Wal*Mart close by that you can get the value packs of .223 by Federal. A box of 100 rounds for roughly 40 bucks more or less depending on where you live.

Once you get more involved in the sport you may want to practice with Match Grade ammo. Match Grade ammo helps with accuracy. Eventually you'll want to reload yourself and make your own competition loads. I have a neighbor that reloads competition ammo for my long range rifle for better accuracy.

12. dcone1

dcone1 New Member

i live 45 miles south of watertown i can help give me a call dan 335 1798

13. scottmphoto

scottmphoto New Member