like to buy a walker

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by twitch, Jan 27, 2014.

1. twitch

twitch New Member

where's the best place to buy a walker replica.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Good one c3, LMAO.

5. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

A fellow who shoots cowboy action with me has a pair of replica Walkers that he loads up good and stout. He keeps a length of cord tied around the barrel and loading lever. Otherwise the lever will drop and interfere with the cylinder.

If I wanted one of these "horse pistols" I would get a Dragoon instead.

Go handle one first; these things are huge! I sort of like the lines of the 1851 Navy.

6. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

7. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I have The Colt Mdl. 1848 AKA Walker. I also have the variants, Dragoon Mdls. Colt after producing only 1,100 Walkers made the improved 1s Mdl. Dragoons. The Walkers were plagued with problems. When fully loaded the burned powder fouls and locks up the cylinder and the rammer falls down. One of the First, Second or Third Model Dragoons are a better choice.
    From 1848 until 1860 Colt struggled with the big "Horse" pistols. In 1860 they called Bingo! with the Colt 1860 Army holster pistol. :)

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Crunchy (and that IS one of the stranger screen names we have encountered here) the bit of rawhide around the barrel/ loading lever was what the original shooter did to keep the loading lever from flopping down, and jamming the cylinder.

And Enterprise (sorry- NC) that could be a decent deal- but IS a kit, and unblued- so WILL take some time, effort, skill. Still, could be a lot of fun.

and Stalker- agree that the Dragoon- or the 1860- would be a better choice. But Ranger Augustus McRae did a fine job on that uppity barkeep with the side of his Walker.... (Lonesome Dove for them as missed that) ;)

9. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Not so strange if you are a Monty Python fan. "Crunchy Frog" is a reference to the comedy sketch about the "Whizzo Chocolate Company".

10. Hawg

Hawg New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRHVg40Kw4[/ame]

11. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I'm with C3. That's the first thing that came to mind. It's hell getting old when that's the first thing you think of. :p