Lightweight .44?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bogey, Mar 28, 2008.

1. bogey

bogey New Member

Have been carrying a Super Blackhawk in a shoulder holster while hunting with a rifle; been doing it for years both rifle and revolver have gotten heavier as I have gotten older; bought a new lightweight rifle but am considering one of those lightweight .44 mags; they are legal for big game here so it could come in to play. I'm not concerned about recoil because I will be carrying it a lot more than shooting it. I am sure some of you have had experience with the lightweight .44s; am looking for expeience recommendations. Thanks

2. scoutman

scoutman New Member

My personal favorite is a .357 Ruger Flat Top converted to .44 special. With the correct loads, it can rival the .44 mag in performance and is a lightweight carry gun for woods work when built on the OM frame with a 4 5/8bbl.

3. Catfish

Catfish New Member

If your wanting a real lite weight .44 mag. there is only 1 on the market I would consider. It is the S&W pd 329. It has a Scadium frame and weights abt the same as the old 38 S$W`s. A rubber grip is a must and it is a hand full, but if you truly do not mind recoil it is the gun for you. I love mine.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The scandium framed Smiths are VERY light. They are very punishing to shoot but if you are not recoil sensitive they are very cool. They are also VERY expensive! I would look at the Smith Mountain gun. .44, 4" stainless and much lighter than the Ruger or comperable Smith.

5. Catfish

Catfish New Member

I have a 629 with the 4 in barrel and a pd 329 and can tell you the 629 is alot heaver. I also have a Super Black Hawk with a 7 3/4 in barrel and it is not much heaver than the 629 S&W. The 329 has alot more recoil, but if your into recoil and have rubber grips on it you can handle it, especially for a hunting gun.

6. npbwbass

npbwbass New Member

Taurus Tracker? Anyone had experience with one of these?

7. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Taurus Tracker. I watched as the 13th round shot out of a brand new gun shot the entire barrel off and sent it 15 yards down range. The metal where the barrel and frame connect failed. I personally wouldn't recommend one. Rather have a S&W or Ruger. Just my opinion.

8. poolshark13

poolshark13 New Member

do you have any experience with other taurus models? my friend has been looking at getting one of their semi autos. imo she should get a glock, based off many of my friends who own and use them regulary (law enforcement), but i do not know anything about taurus to be honest.

9. chorst294

chorst294 New Member

I have 4 Glocks and have NEVER had any problems with any of them. Their ugly, but as a tool, their extremely dependable. I've had a Taurus 24/7 in .45ACP. It shot great, until the firing pin block broke with less than 100 rounds through it, and then had serious dependability issues after that was fixed. I think it was caused by the 2 factory mags that came with it. Have a friend with an identical gun, has same dependability issues. Also, Glock has a discount $100 off any gun through authorized Glock dealers for Law Enforcement. I got mine this way, and they come 3 magazines.

10. bogey

bogey New Member

lightweight .44

Well if I get one guess it will be a S&W; although my gunsmith said they had problems with one extracting cases but he also said that Taurus has a lifetime warranty for a reason, they need it!

11. npbwbass

npbwbass New Member

Interesting about Tarus

Considering the Taurus QA & ISO program as considered one of the best in the industry I guess I should be careful with all manufacturers before buying a new firearm!

My last new revolver purchase attempt was a Cimmeron Thunderer and it was a totally useless piece of junk the timing was so messed up that was incapable of even firing. I made them take it back after their 3 attempts to fix it.

I read someones post here somewhere about the same things happening to S&W revolvers. Never heard of that happening in my 45 years of shooting history.

Lately I have been buying used guns and rebuilding them. And that has been great fun. Haven't bought a new firearm in a while but was looking at the Taurus PT 1911.

12. Ruger Redhawk

Ruger Redhawk New Member

I personally would stay away from a Taurus. I had one bad experience with the only one I ever owned. Reading on several other forums all the Taurus horror stories.Allot were complaints of Taurus's terrible customer service.I expect good CS from a company. If I can't get it I buy elsewhere.
    That one I had bought came and went fast and there will never be another Taurus in my house.

13. Catfish

Catfish New Member

Poolshark13,
    I have a Rageing Bull that has never given me a problem. BUT !!! I have 2 friends that have had bad problems with their guns and both took over 6 mo. to get straightened out. Their customer service sucks bad. 1 gun was never fired and the other had about 2 boxes of ammo through it.

14. J_B

J_B New Member

I shot my first Taurus Tracker 44C loose, and the shop I got it at replaced it for free sending the other one back to Taurus. I did keep the second one for a bit and then sold it off as I really want a 329PD or Night Guard instead. Now if I find a used 629 like the ES for as great of deal as I got my current 629 6" then I would take that hands down.

The 329PD is a nice light carry gun, that I have handled. You just don't want to give it a constant diet of serious loads.

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

One of the things you have to consider about the S&W model 329 is that the recoil will actually cause bullets to back out of the case until they bind up the revolver unless you use the correct loads for it. Stick with lightweight jacketed bullets firmly crimped in case and you should be ok. If I was in market for what you want,my choice would be the 329. Be SURE and get comfortable rubber grips for it that fit you well as it has nasty recoil but is still controllable. I would start practicing with midrange loads until I got used to shooting it.

16. Zappa

Zappa New Member

I was in a local gun shop today and noticed a new 329PD in the case. The dealer said he ordered it for a customer, who later backed out of the deal after reading about its brutal recoil on the net.(here maybe?) He offered it to me for his cost of $790. I was very impressed with how light it was. I have .22's that weigh more!. It had the Hi-Viz front sight, which I like, but the rear sight was a "V" notch that I didn't really care for. It also had wooden grips that didn't look too comfortable. A gun with a reputation for recoil like this really should come with rubber grips from the factory. I thought it over for a few minutes and declined the offer. Realistically though, I already have a 29-6 (6") and a 629-5 (3") that I hardly ever use. I just don't need another .44 taking up space in the safe. I really wanted a 627, 8-shot, with the slab-side barrel, but they didn't have one in stock.