Light primer strikes on savage rascal

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SavageGuy_, Jul 9, 2016.

1. SavageGuy_

SavageGuy_ New Member

I have a Savage rascal .22 for my 11 year old. About 1-2 rounds in 10, I'll get a light primer strike, resulting in a FTF. Which gets annoying. Especially when you're on a rabbit hunt. Soooo............any advice other than sending it back to savage? I have noticed that it happens less frequently when I run the gun dirty oddly enough............

2. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

My eleven year old's rascal has never had that problem. And it gets better when dirty? Odd...

3. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Did you try other ammo?

4. SavageGuy_

SavageGuy_ New Member

^^Yep. It's not the ammo. I've tried too many types and brands to name off the top of my head. You can tell the primer strike it much lighter when compared to brass from my other .22s

5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

since you have tried other ammo, then I would try doing a very thorough cleaning of the bolt face and all the components and then using a light weight gun and lubing all the moving parts. if that doesn't fix it, then it possibly could be either a firing pin worn or out of dimension, or possibly a worn firing pin spring.

6. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Exchanging ammo was the obvious first thing to try. That done the next step should be send it back to Savage.
    Or continue looking for yourself.
    Very unlikely the firing pin itself is the problem (though it is possible). Check the back of barrel and see if the firing pin has made a dimple or pit so the cartridge rim is no longer fully supported right where the pin impacts. That could do it but I doubt it in this case (though very simple to check out).
    Remove the bolt and manually check firing pin protrusion if possible. Remove firing pin and clean pin channel, may just be a piece of debris limiting pin travel or causing a cushioning effect.
    That done and everything still looks fine then it moves to the mainspring. Maybe too light, too short, rubbing too much on the inside or the outside.