life of a magazine

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jjones45, Oct 11, 2013.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Im just curious to know how long magazines last. I have the original mags for my usp 45c and glock 23 that are both 8+ years old. They both still feed flawlessly and lock the slide back when empty. I use to shoot a whole lot more years ago so literally thousands of rounds have been though these mags. These are currently my oldest firearms so I was wondering what's the oldest mags you have that are stock and still work. What is the recommended time frame for mag replacement?

2. jimc1997chevy

jimc1997chevy New Member

It really just depends. There are blots of variables. I know guys who have 15+ year old block mags that still work fine. With most quality guns the magazine will last a long time. I do know people that switch out springs or replace mags every couple years in their carry pieces just to be sure. After eight years, and if you use it for SD it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a couple new ones.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You could just replace the spring and MAYBE the follower. Magazine shells last forever.

Ever heard of a Mosin Nagant?

4. jimc1997chevy

jimc1997chevy New Member

Dittoe. I've heard Wolff makes pretty good replacement springs.

5. 8 years isn't even properly broken in, unless you're shooting 20k per year.

6. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

I have owned and shot many pistols from the '20's that worked fine with the original magazines. That's over 80 years!

7. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Glock mags have an 8 year expiration. I have a disposal program. If you send me your mags I will send you several links where you can purchase new ones.

Seriously you should be fine. Unless you are having any FTF's or other malfunctions.

I bought a handful of used mags at a show once and one had a spring that was noticeably less tense. It functioned fine when I shot it but I got some replacement springs for peace of mind.

8. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Seriously? Now that's amazing.

9. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

i don't consider it amazing. If you have any old stuff with springs likely they still work after many years. If you go to Grandma's house and she is hanging up the laundry the clothes pins might be 20 years old and still work fine. There is little reason for springs to just quit working. I shot a Civil War Spencer rifle that was made in 1864 and the magazine still worked fine and I assume it was the original spring. I've shot many Winchester rifles that were made before 1900 and the magazine springs worked just fine. When I ran a gunsmithing shop for many years I do not remember ever changing a tubular mag spring, ever in anyone's gun. The striker spring in the pistol on your avatar is always under compression are you going to change that? Or worry about it?

10. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I was referring to mag springs not striker spring but since you mention it I probably will change that out after a few more thousand rounds. I just honestly never knew springs in a magazine would still work reliably after 80 years. I was not being sarcastic or anything. I would not trust mags that old in a self defense gun even if they do prove reliable. Just wanted to see what people thought was a reasonable time table for mag replacement.

11. BillDeShivs

BillDeShivs Member

I personally have magazines that have been constantly loaded for over 35 years. They still work fine.
    Some of the ultra compact, high capacity magazines over stress springs.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it until problems start to develop.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

If you keep mags loaded, unload and reload at least once every 2+ weeks,...blow out mags with an air can and wipe down the outsides. Metal mags can be protected with many gun lubes...

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

No no no --- Load & leave them-
    Loading & reloading is what causes the wear!!!

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

On SOME,..yes,...`not on all. Depends on the Springs....I wouldn't do that to some of my older 1911 Mags,..but the Rugers are a different animal,..My 'smith' who i'm training with said to do it with newer Compacts & Sub Compacts' Mags....

My best on this is the Comp. I went to shoot at about 15 yrs ago(shortly before I stopped Shooting comp.) and a guy said,.."I never Unload my mags" and he had about 15 Mags....First Mag change in the 1st stage he had a Mag spring break. Next time up his spring(in another mag.) was so Tight that Halfway thru the mag he had a FTF....

I have a minimum of 5 Mags for every autoloader I have,..several who work in different Guns of the same Design(3 "92's" and 4 1911's...)...