LGS Ethics?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TheSadPanda, May 25, 2011.

1. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I chose the broadest of forum discussions. Anyway, here's the deal. I have a LGS that I am pretty committed to (I have my reasons), and they have the gun I want to purchase. Yay! But they for some reason have the pistol at a pretty high price :( It's a Springfield XDm 9mm Compact. They want $618 plus tax, and I am not willing to shop anywhere else locally. So what's the problem you ask? I can get the same exact gun at Bud's for $541 shipped :eek: Springfield 9mm 3.8 CMPT Black $541.00 SHIPS FREE

So now I am stuck as to what I should do. Do I give the LGS a chance to match the price, and if not buy it online and have it sent to his shop? Or do I just go ahead and order it online? I have very little faith that he could match a price thats $80 lower than his asking price. Please, what is the rule for such a situation?!

2. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Whats the transfer fee going to cost you if you order from Buds? Add that to their price and see if your lgs can match that price.

Did you decide you wanted this gun by holding it in the lgs? If so I would feel some responsibility to support them.

3. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Standing on the other side of the fence from you. . . . .

Even if I can't match a price from Bud's I still like being given the opportunity. And if a customer finds an awesome on-line deal that I can't even get close to, I try to be happy for them and their find, and take the transfer business.

It's a hard pill to swallow sometimes, but I'm pretty sure that your LGS is unaware of Bud's price point.

4. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

After the transfer fee from Bud's it would be a grand total of $566. If i paid full price from the LGS the total would be $661. That's almost a $100 difference. I simply can't afford that much of a difference. I DID decide I liked it at the LGS and have been back a few times to see it. I would be willing to pay $600 OTD for it, but I just can't pay any more than that. Does that sound fair at all?

It's a really odd thing to point out, but he has his price listed almost exactly the same as Bud's for the gun with a SS slide http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/72143

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

What's MO's sales tax?

6. Troy Michalik

This is one of the jacked up tings about the industry. The MSRP on that is $705.

Just to give you some kind of idea, I just checked a distributor of mine and my wholesale price on that piece is less than $10 cheaper than Bud's. Plus, I've got to pay shipping to my shop, and overhead.

7. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

the sales tax for that county in MO is 7% on the money. If he sold it to me for $560, it would be $600 OTD. But that's still a pretty big price drop if he were to agree to it. I am not sure which path to take on this one :(

8. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

Yea, that is kind of what I figured, HE would actually make more money on the $25 transfer fee than on the mark-up if he sold it for $560. Like you said, that is messed up.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

I know how ya feel. I like supporting my local dealer too. But i get other intangables from being a regular longtime customer that keeps me coming back and giving him first crack at a gun sale or gun related product sale.

I get first shot at some REAL nice ammo deals, he calls me if a unique item comes in before he puts it for sale, and other little things like no hassles on oddball special orders etc. I dont mind the little extra it isnt gonna make or break me and it helps keep a local shop in business. The ptrice of driving to cabelas and back or gander mountain or one of the milwaukee shops is huge and greatly offsets the price diff.

The question is does it mean much to you to save up the extra $$$ vs losing your relationship with your dealer??

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I say give him the chance to match or come down on his price. It's always best to try and support local business, more of what you spend locally gets returned to the community that way.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would give him a chance to come closer. But I wouldn't feel bad about buying on line. If you like him that much have it sent to another store so he will not know.

He also knows that you will be in to his place to buy ammo and all the other stuff that goes along with getting a new gun.

12. Troy Michalik

Golden rule of retail right there.

13. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I don't get nearly the number of perks that you get. The reason I stay with this dealer is because he is the only LGS that I have been to in a 30 mile radius that will treat me like a normal gun owner when I walk in. Most gun shops give me a look if disdain when I walk in because I look a little young, have earrings, and wear band t-shirts. I don't sag my pants, I wear clean clothes, and I act respectful. They don't even give me a chance when I start looking around or try to inquire about certain guns, so I leave and take my business elsewhere.

But back on topic, I'm willing to spend an extra $25 to give him my business, but I simply can't afford to give up 2 weeks work of pay just to make him happy. My being happy is barely within my budget.

I think when it comes closer to buy time, I will let him know what is going on, and see what kind of deal he can make me, and then I can think about it. Anybody agree or disagree on this?

14. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

I actually don't buy ammo from there, I get it from Wally-World :eek: But That's a good idea on how to make it a win-win. IF I have the gun sent to his shop, I could buy some ammo to still show my support for the shop.

15. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Give the guy a heads up, maybe between now and then he may come across a deal that will satisfy both of you. I like saving money too but supporting local business is just as important.

16. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

It will be another month or so before I buy the gun, so he could have a fair amount of time to come up with a deal that works for both of us. I also like supporting local business, which is why I am so adamant about finding a deal that will satisfy us both.

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I would give duder a heads up in advance & stress that i really want to buy from him but that the money just isn't there. See what he comes up with.

18. Yunus

Yunus New Member

A couple places around here will not transfer a new gun if they sell that same gun themselves. Not sure if that's the norm but you might want to double check before having it shipped.

19. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

That's most likely what I would do. it makes the most sense, and it definitely gives him a chance to make a deal.

yunus- I hope he doesn't do that, I'd hate to not get atleast some money his way, and I'd hate more to give some of the businesses around here my business

20. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

I'm glad you all have this type of relationship with your respective LGS.

Mine is a place where people go to B.S., handle/dryfire the goods, and buy nothing.

I like to go in, make the purchase, leave. They act like it's a chore doing the sale.