lever shotgun...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by n_andonovski, Oct 2, 2010.

1. n_andonovski

n_andonovski New Member

im looking to buy my first shotgun, here in aus, we cant have semi-auto's or pump action, so im thinking about getting a lever action.
    i want a lever because i like the idea of having a 5 round mag instead of having to break after 2. the purpose of this shotgun will be 'varmint hunting' because we cant have a firearm for the purpose of self/home defence.
    i dont know that much about shotguns, so:
    are lever shotguns worth the money?
    what are best makes/models?
    12g or 20g?
    cheers.

2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I have just gotten a M-87, reproduction of a Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun and to put it bluntly….. I LOVE IT. I bought it for Cowboy Action Shooting and she shoots like a dream. Five rounds in the magazine, one round in the feeding ramp and one round in the chamber for a total of 7 rounds. Now that’s what I call fun. Look at the post “Cowboy Action Shooting Shotgun” and you can see some pictures I have posted. The shotgun I bought is made by Norinco in China but is extremely well made and a great shooter.

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

You know when I started hunting I'd load as many into the magazine as I could, although, if I didn't hit the game on the second shot I was almost always wasting ammo. Now I never load any more than two in a shotgun no matter what action I'm using, unless of course, it's a single shot. Also in my old age it easier to keep track of how many times I've fired when only loading two rounds which also makes me safer. More is not always better IMHO. Good luck, Joe

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Depending on the varmint and how good a shot you are, more is better. ;)

5. n_andonovski

n_andonovski New Member

CA357,
    the 'varmint hunting' is whats going to be written down on the permit to acquire that certain firearm.
    it will most probably never see varmint hunting use.
    i just was a shotgun. something about 5 rounds that scatter instead of the 3 rounds that the mag on my t3 308 takes is more apealing to me :).

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Yup, that's what I said. Depending on the varmint ... ;)

7. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

Every body knows those Aussie groundhogs can take 4 blasts in-stride. Its the 5th that makes all the difference:D

No really, more is almost always better... Especially when someone breaks into your home and your 12-gauge Varmint gun is involved:cool:

8. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

I,m with Joe on this one. If you take a pair of varmints in full flight by the time you have chambered your second round it is usualy too late.

9. Bearman405

Bearman405 New Member

If I had to chose between the M-87 and a SxS..........I wud go with the M-87

My personal choice is the winy M-97....but due to Little Johnny Howard. that is out of your reach.

Have fired the M-87, both an original and a repo, did not like the way the stock came to my shoulder, nor the difficulty of topping up the mag during firing a course.

Use to live in Melbourne(Epping) and use to shoot at the Corrections Service range in a quarry there.............take care out there mate............:D