Lever gun maintenance

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by carnestopher, May 28, 2013.

1. carnestopher

carnestopher New Member

Just finished putting Froglube on my four levers and was curious, how often do y'all completely disassemble and service yours? Mine see MAYBE 2-300 rounds per year combined so they're just sitting in the safe most of the time. Also, when I do run them I just shoot whatever is cheapest so I'm sure carbon fouling is higher than normal.

2. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

I always spend about 3hrs after a range day cleaning and relubing. The only reason i do that is, i dont know when the next time shooting will be. My marlin 336c has been frog lubed 4 time right after the range and it loves the stuff. The action is butter smooth and the gun always smells awsome. :-D

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

On a levergun? Usually give it a takedown, scrub and lube at least once a century.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm new to levers so please excuse my ignorance. Just bought my first Winchester model 94 so I wanna make sure I take care of her right.

What parts of the gun do you use froglube on? Does it have any advantage over ballistol?

5. carnestopher

carnestopher New Member

I Froglube it all. Everything is "dry" until you start running it then it "wets" itself.

I've been using FL for a while now and I don't see myself using anything else anytime soon. Even my .22s will run seemingly forever with no extra lube or cleaning.

6. carnestopher

carnestopher New Member

My friend let me do some work on his VERY neglected 30-30. I'll post some before-during-after pictures tonight hopefully. Just depends on how long it takes. Stand by, folks.

7. carnestopher

carnestopher New Member

8. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Marlin 336 "beater" here....guy owed me some money,only reason it's here(really don't like their "micro-groove").

It see's probably 75% cast bullets and the rest,150 G,RN Hornady handloads.Rarely doing a complete "takedown" for cleaning......maybe every 3-400 rounds?

Equipped with a nice 4X scope,they do make excellent "loaner" Deer rifles meaning,they're quite easy to shoot.Good luck with yours.