Lever Actions

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by clr8ter, Dec 15, 2013.

1. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Recently, along with SA revolvers, I've become interested in lever actions. But, as usual, what I kind of want, I doubt they make. So how about it, anyone heard of a LA in .40 S&W? And loads from the side of the receiver? (Is Marlin & Winchester the only ones that load from the side?) Simply because I already shoot this cartridge. I was at the LGS yesterday, and I mentioned to the owner that it'd be nice if he had a 357 version of a 3030 Marlin on one of his racks. so he say "Like this one?" and hands me a gun from behind the counter. Yup, like that. I notice it has a tag on it that says, "Owner's Personal Firearm." (He's a little confused that he has to SELL some guns to make money.)
    Anyway, 357 would be kickass, but I don't currently shoot 357, and it's not exactly cheap to buy..

2. 1411

1411 New Member

3. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

Mossberg's 464 loads from the side of the receiver but only comes in 30-30 or 22LR. plus side is it looks like a Winchester 94 but is a side eject & is drilled & tapped for scope mounts, so if you mount a scope the empty's won't hit it when running the action. brand new they're $400 in my area, I bought a used one for $250, it shoots really well.

30-30 is fairly cheap to shoot & even cheaper to reload, so if you can't get one in a caliber you already have, that's the way to go. plus 30-30 is far superior to any pistol caliber out there. just some food for thought.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i checked out a Marlin LA in 44 Magnum last year that i should have bought and wished i had. i thought too long on it and someone else bought it!

i just recently got interested in pistol calibered LA's a few years ago. i have had many of them over the years, but not any in pistol calibers.

5. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Pistol caliber lever action rifles are typically chambered for rimmed cartridges like .38/.357, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt.

I have heard of semi-custom rifle converted to feed .45 ACP so given enough money it may be possible, but why?

If you want a .40 caliber lever rifle, get one in .38-40 aka .38 WCF. Despite the designation it is a forty caliber.

6. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i think rossi makes a 357 side loading, and the price is right, but my overall impression of rossi is....meh. i think they make good beater rifles basically. i had a rossi ranch hand, and LOVED the mare's leg concept, but the quality....again, meh at best. :eek:

marlin WAS the way to go. but the 357's were always hard to get and now my understanding is....almost impossible. many feel the remington take over has been very bad for marlin quality. and getting an older "real" marlin 357?......well, open wallet WIDE.....:eek: i have a "real" marlin SS 336 30-30...and it is a GREAT gun. i admit i'm a little skeered of the new ones....:(

which imo....leaves cimmaron ($$$) or henry :). i just picked up a henry big boy 357....to my shame, i have yet to shoot it....but it is a work of ART! i can't give you a performance grade yet, but in function it is almost exactly the same as my marlin, only it loads form the tube....while i'm not crazy about that...i can look past it cause this rifle is an american made beauty!!!

go henry big boy or go home imo!!!! ;)

Attached Files:

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, if only henry side-loaded……I'd be all over it. They are very nice guns. So how come none of you guys had anything to say about Winchester? The issue with 3030 is what would I do with it. Again, not exactly a cheap round, I don't reload, and I don't hunt. Is it any good for plinking/target practice? It just doesn't give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Winchester is a good company with a great history. You can't do wrong.

I have a Winchester 30-30 and I love it. At Wal-Mart when they have ammo in stock a box runs me about $17. If you ask me, relative to certain other calibers, that's extremely reasonable.

The wife and I shot 50 rounds out of our Winchester just this weekend. Not a single hiccup. I wasn't expecting any, anyway.

She's seen in my picture.

9. hawkguy

do you have a side loading lever already? while i also prefer it....there are some disadvantages. first, my marlin loading is very stiff and if you aren't very careful, it loves to pinch the ends of your fingers! also, it is very easy to scratch your receiver with a side loader. like you, i prefer the side loading levers in function for a quick reload and topping off....but i also have gripes about them as well.

so imo, although tube loaders are not as quick or accessible as the receiver ones, they are actually easier to load sometimes. 10 shots is a good capacity so it shouldn't effect hunting or range time negatively...the only serious negative would be a reload for self defense. a pistol lever will certainly make a good SD firearm....but still not the best choice imo, as others suit that role better.

38 spcl is pretty reasonable (and fun) to plink with, just slightly more than 9mm. 357 and 30-30, not so much. at .75 cents + a round for 30-3o, it is a very expensive plinking round imo. its a great round to shoot for fun, just not cheap....same with 357 unless you find a good sale.

isn't winchester out of the game on levers? you can only get really expensive limited editions or older models and they are now considered "classic" so you won't find a deal. winchesters are also top eject, and although i have never shot a top eject, i always wanted the option to mount an optic easily if i wanted. winchesters are supposed to be one of the best....but they are basically out of the game now...especially if you want one new or at a reasonable price.

i ran into to the same issues you are seeing when i sought a 357 lever.....marlin and win. are basically out of the game. rossi is just OK, cimmaron (although nice) is much more than i could stomach spending.

considering the demand, there just isn't a whole lot out there. and fair warning...if you decide to get the henry 357...you'll be looking awhile for it....:mad:....took me 1-2 months before i lucked onto to one.

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

I can, Hawk. Picked up a Big Boy 357mag a week ago. It goes right where I aim it. Using 38spl or 357mag pistol loads there's no recoil, kinda like a noisy 22lr. Using rifle only loads there's just a bit of recoil. My only problem, (and it isn't really), is I want to get the receiver engraved and I can't decide what I want on it. Once it's done, there's no turning back.

11. JW357

JW357 New Member

If you're patient they're out there. I bought a Winchester 30-30 about six months ago or so for $400.

12. hawkguy

yeah..its funny...i haven't even shot my big boy...and its already perhaps my favorite rifle! :p

do you feel the tube load is any issue for you?

i don't love the idea, but i think for such a fine rifle, i can deal with one minor gripe.

13. hawkguy

nice find! i honestly think the inability to get a new one, combined with the top eject, was an overall deal breaker for me with a winchester. but i do love and respect the winchester lever overall....hard not to. these old levers have such a great american history!

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Love my Marlin .30-30s but would really like to find one of the Marlins in .357.

As someone else said, most of your lever actions are going to be for rimmed cartridges for feeding and extraction. If you can find a good .357 lever gun, just look at it as an excuse to find a nice .357 revolver to go with it.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Best lever gun pistol caliber are the uberti 1873. No question about it.

16. awahlster

awahlster New Member

lever actions can be found in just about every caliber from .22LR to .405Win and 444marlin

In pistol calibers guns are currently being produced in:
    22LR
    22WMR
    32WCF
    38spl/357mag
    44-40
    44spl/44mag
    45LC
    454 casull

in rifle calibers the list is a little to long to run

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

No, I don't actually have any lever guns. I never considered top eject & slide loading punching fingers issues, either. Will consider those things.

18. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I recently picked up a marlin 1894 in 357 mag. One of the best investments I have made. The gun is a blast to shoot, looks great and is easy on the shoulder. Only had one quick range session with it, but I look forward to the next. It did set me back quite a bit, but compared to the Rossi 92 I had, it was worth the extra coin.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

When you go to a magnum pistol cartridge
    for a rifle/pistol pairing, you are already
    making a big sacrifice, for the sake of
    caliber commonality.

If you had a .40 S&W L/A, you would be losing all

rifle advantages for range and power.

Upside would be a red dot would work

better than a scope, at the range you would

be saddled with.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  20. hawkguy

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_big-boy_1894C_1873.htm

here is a nice review of the uberti vs henry vs marlin. it is a bit outdated, as some things are not quite true anymore (like it states the henry not being drilled on receiver, they now ARE drilled for scopes on receiver.)

but not a bad read. many things to consider....amount you want to spend, do you want to scope, type of action, etc....