lever action vs bolt action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Zamzow, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Zamzow

Zamzow New Member

Just read an article about the two rifles. Lever vs bolt. What say u all.

2. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

for no practical reason whatsoever, i'm on team LEVER.

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Between the two i prefer lever for short to medium range, and bolt action for long range

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

MANY (not all, just many) lever actions cannot handle the pressures of cartridges that a bolt will handle. Lever has a handicap when shooting from the bench.

When hunting, the lever will give a quicker reload than most bolts.

Have both, love both.

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Depends on the job. I like bolts for accuracy and range. Levers are handy for packing in the woods, quick follow up shots and just plain fun.

6. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I don't think there ever has been a real rivalry between the lever-action and bolt-action rifles. Shooters seem to like both types of rifles for their specific features.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Question makes no sense :confused:
    For what reason?
    In general?
    Accuracy/distance - Bolt
    Speed - Lever

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What would be it's intended use?
    For applications where accuracy and strength are paramount? Bolt.
    For hunting in brush country with lower intensity calibers? Lever.

9. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

I like them both b/c they work great depending on what your doing. It never hurts to have 1 of each and throw in a semi while your at it for me.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

lever actions are faster to shoot, you can get them in pistol calibers so you can carry the same type of ammo, on the other hand bolt actions can shoot more high powered rounds in some cases more accurately and bolt guns can also weight more then a lever action and are generally longer.

For my walk around gun when I'm just walking through the woods when I do carry a rifle I carry a old winchester 30-30. I don't plan on killing any deer or anything like that but it's a good all around round that can take down trespassers as well as deer if need be. Bolt guns are all good and fun for long range, hunting, and snipers but if your hiking through brush and you might have to shoot more then once I'd choose a lever action everytime.

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have & love em both, 6 of one & half dozen of the other for me, they both have there place.................

12. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Yep, that is a good way of putting it; they both have their place. For power and long-distance accuracy I like my bolt guns but I like my 94 for ease of handling and quick shooting.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i like both, own and shoot both.

14. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Lever lever lever ahhh bolt bolt bolt dammit i love an need to have an shoot them all ahhhhhh guns gotta have em

15. montveil

montveil New Member

Another factor for lefties -- the lever is more ambidextrous. Most bolts are righties and if the rifle has a scope it is almost impossible to chamber a round by reaching over the scope. It results in the shooter getting out of position.\
    All other comments are on target.
    Bolt = long range, lever for shorter faster work.