Lever action options, or lack there of??

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bessemerbob, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

For years I have been wanting a lever action to match my 357 revolver. Now I have come to find that it seems Marlin is not producing the 1894 and hasn't for some time. Still listed on the website but just not in production. So with that being said I cant seem to find any options for a similar fire arm to the 1894 other then the Rossi 92 and that seems to have very mixed reviews..

Help to the forum masses I come a look'n

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Scope mounting required or not wanted??

No scope uberti 1873. If you go berti you will need a set of hardened screws as the stock ones are terribly soft and strip easily.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

3. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Not looking to add a scope, I like the idea of the rugged compact lever action riffle with no thrills just quality dependability and good looks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Opinions are welcome. Still racking my brain on what route Ill be going.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

6. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Uberti or Henry.
    Both are excellent.

Jim

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hit the gun shows for a used one. I missed one in 357 last year. I have seen a few 44 mags too.

8. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Man that Winchester is nice looking, but ouch a good chunk more then that illusive Marlin 357. Right along line with the Uberti

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

To get a good one you got t spend the $$

You can chance a rossi if you get one that runs all good. Otherwise you will easily spend more than the difference in cost of a winchester or uberti getting it to work.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would shoot a pistol caliber rifle before I jumped into buying one. I was considering a 357 handi rifle. After shooting a 357 carbine I decided quickly that buying a pistol caliber rifle was a bad idea. A 30/30 is much more useful, even a well tuned 91/30 will kick the snot out of any pistol caliber carbine, including the X frame calibers.

11. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

Good point John, they defiantly are different. I have had the luck of shooting several of my friends Marlins (357,44) and enjoyed both off them.

As for the money and quality I do agree. No doubt in my mind, I guess that's the main reason I am disappointed in the current state of Marlin production. A good solid gun on a middle of the road price.

12. scottmac

scottmac New Member

I really enjoy the Henry Big Boy in .357.
    I put on a Skinner peep (requires no drilling like a tang sight would), and it's a tack driver. I also added a glove ring.

The utility of a pistol caliber carbine will depend on what you want to use it for.

I got the Henry because it's well-made, all American, and a beautiful piece. Even non-gunners comment on how beautiful it is ("for a gun").

Many indoor ranges will only let you shoot pistol calibers.

Tube magazines or side-load is not an issue for me. I figured the tube would be easier to maintain, because of direct access, like cleaning another bore.
    FWIW, my .02

13. bessemerbob

bessemerbob New Member

That Henry looks good, but brass just isnt my style. Really looking to stay with a blued barrel/receiver.

I think I am going to start researching and such on the Uberti 1873 and the Winchester 1892

14. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

The Marlins pop up on Gun Broker once in a while. There just seems to be a little price premium for the 357 over the rifle calibers.

15. sandog

sandog Member

Get a 1892 new or used or look for a used Marlin 1894. Both are compact, reliable, strong and good looking. A used Browning B-92 in .357 would be great also.

16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a Rossi 92 en route for my use. I have heard they are working out fine for those who do not want a scope. I have the 16 inch bbl coming as I already have a 30-30 and a 35 Rem in the 20 inch (marlin 336's).

I will let you know how mine does.:D