Lever Action .22lr Takedown rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Winchester94, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Does anyone currently make one? If not, can anyone suggest an older one?

2. natman

natman Member

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Any reason for a lever 22 td?? Those marlins run 700ish

I would recomend the ruger 10/22td comes with a nice compact carry case.

4. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

5. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

The Ruger has crossed my mind, but I just prefer lever actions. They're not picky with ammo and are just better looking in my opinion.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

I was also wondering if there was a need for a td rifle or just wanted one. All the lever 22 td guns the stock is what pops off. Its not a true takedown.

7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a marlin papoose it came with a red storage bag to carry it in. Not the prettiest rifle but it works.

mammas dont let your cowboys grow up to be babies
    better dead than red

8. natman

natman Member

On the Marlin the receiver splits and one is left with two pieces - the stock and half the receiver and the barrel and the other half. While this is not exactly the usual method where the barrel and forend disconnect from the receiver, it is not just "the stock pops off" either.

What other 22 TD lever rifles are there?

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

ahh ok. pics make it look like the stock is where it breaks.

10. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I thought I'd make for a good truck gun to keep under the seat.
    The Ruger may be a better choice because of cost and the ruggedness of the synthetic stock. Are the BX-25 magazines still pretty easy to find?

11. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

What's the capacity of its magazine? Are there reliable extended magazines for it?

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Get the stainless version. Between that and the case it will stay rust free if oiled now and then.

The bx25 mags are very easy to get and there is a version of the bx that banana clips two together for easy 50 rounds. The bx's fit perfectly in the case with room for a couple extra boxes of rounds. They are also just as reliable as the ten rounders the gun comes with. The only downside is various speed loaders don't work well with the bx25. The fact they work flawless and are well made offsets that issue.

My 10/22td returns to zero through many assemble disassemble cycles and being able to pop the barrel off like it does makes cleaning stupid simple. Its just an outstanding design.

I haven't found any 22lr it won't run.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  13. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I can see certain folks that are hampered by stupid laws wanting a lever with a tubular magazine to avoid being a murderous Assault Rifle owner.

A detachable magazine is dangerous, very, very dangerous. Tubular's not so much.

My new favorite!

14. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I was worried they may be hard to find now. I'll probably end up going with it.

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

It looks like one of the takedowns is a camo synthetic with a flash suppressor. Don't know if it is fixed or threaded,
    The threaded barrel takedown would be a great find.

(Plenty of 10/22's in all styles, just falling off the shelves around here).

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

The flash suppressor one is threaded. But its also blued, wierd combo for gun who's intended use is packing as a survival gun or one that is likely to ride in the trunk or pickup floorboard for a long time.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

The case has two outer zipper pockets that comfotably hold 3 bx mags each and you can stuff in a few 50 round boxes in between. Internally its got storage for the gun, and room for cleaning supplies and easily a brick of 500 rounds or more if you choose to really stuff it up tight.

Ruger did a great job with this firearm. Its really well thought out.

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

A cheap option might be a pawn-shop Papoose. I find it to be acceptably accurate. Magazines are still easy to find. Marlin 60/70 stuff.
    But $350 for a Ruger opens a lot of options. auto-bolt release mod, better triggers, neat stuff galore. . . Information abounds, Mountains of addicting websites. Enough to empty your wallet every payday.

. . . So that is your answer. GET THE 10/22 (and keep looking for the takedown lever . then get it).

19. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

Thanks for all of the info and advice. I appreciate it as I have little to know experience with Ruger.

20. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

I'm thinking this is the route I'll take. Thanks for the advice.