lever action .22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Commocarl, May 25, 2012.

1. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I am thinking I would like to own a lever action, but I am concerned about cleaning and maintenance.

I have heard that you do not want to break some of them down, as they are a problem to get back together.

Are there lever action rifles that are easy to service?

I am mostly looking for an older one, '60's or earlier.

Thanks

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Kind of a tough question. Lever actions are generally pretty simple.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you are looking at 1960 or earlier it cuts your choices down to only a very few guns. The only real choice is a Marlin 39. Others would be Ithaca 49R, Marlin 56 or 57, Mossberg 400, Noble 275, or the Remington Nylon 76.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Oops I forgot the Winchester model 1873 in 22 caliber.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As the folks up there ^^^ said. From the 60s, the most common will likely be the Marlin 39A. The Golden 39A is later production, still good rifle. They have been making them forever, it seems (my grandkids are still shooting the one Mom bought Dad for their first anniversary, back in the days of dinosaurs)

They had black walnut stocks, machined steel, surprisingly accurate. To take one down for cleaning, you unscrew one big thumbscrew (might need to cheat and use a quarter in the slot) and it comes apart.

They are NOT cheap ($500-675, depending on condition) but it will outlast you.

marlin 39A.jpg

6. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Hmmm... they don't look very pretty either. But if it works, I don't see what's wrong with buying one. But personally I'd look for a prettier gun if I was to pay that price.

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

How about this Win 1873 in .22 short. Its pretty and in this shape maybe only around $5000 or so.

Attached Files:

• 1873.jpg
      1873.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  8. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

BITE YOUR TONGUE! What could be prettier than these in a rifle?

[​IMG]

Only one is a .22, but...............

Bob Wright

9. tCan

tCan Active Member

Ours is finicky. As far as take down. You may need to keep a few small screwdrivers to momentarily push on a spring during take down. Some pieces can be small, making it easy to mar the finish as you finagle them back into place. But my experience is that the .22 rifle is fairly easy to maintain.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

11. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I second the henry. The action is way smoother then the other options out there

12. redscho

redscho New Member

I'll add my vote for the Henry, you can't do better for the price.

Attached Files:

13. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

14. Georgiahunter

Georgiahunter New Member

Hey, I didn't say levers weren't pretty! I just said I didn't like that particular one!

15. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Buying dad a Henry .22 with the octagon barrel when I get home. Was supposed to do do last time but didn't.

16. TimKS

TimKS Member Lifetime Supporter

The Henry's are a nice rifle, but their iron sights really suck.....they need to be scoped for better accuracy. JMHO

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

The Marlin 39 is a good gun but they are butt ugly with that Godawful take down screw. I'll add to the Henry faction with a Golden Boy.

[​IMG]

18. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Henry makes an Ocotgon barrel model that looks great. Marlin's quality control has gone down lately and the last model I tried had a really rough action. Henry also makes a pump w Ocotgon barrel as well. I'm not a big fan of used guns but that just me. Finding a 1960's model could be difficult.

Those who have a good one, love them, and will not part w one cheaply. I got a lemon and sold it, accuracy wasn't up to par but that was an anomaly.

Henry is 100% American made if that makes a difference to you.

19. rachilders

rachilders New Member

I would go with the Henry if you think you'd want something newer than the 60's. I have a Golden Boy I got about 8 years ago and that gun is so smooth you'd swear it had been worked over by a custom shop. It's accurate as well. I hit soda cans at 100 yards all day long with the little gun.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I really like my 39A. Mine is bout 5 years old and it drives tacks at 50 yards w federal 550 bulk packs.....iv done it w silver thumb tacks so its a true tack driver;) my uncle has my grandpa's old Marlin 39 from the early 60s I believe it is-never really tried to find out how old it is-and its just as well made as mine. Its been carried in alot of trucks and yet still shoots sub dime groups at 75 yards all day long w most ammo you want to feed it.