Lever .357/.38 special

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hockeyjr1, Apr 30, 2012.

1. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I'm lookin into this gun and really like it.. Don't have a lever yet so it would be perfect for the collection and ammo isn't to bad.. My question is tho should I go marlin or Henry? I'm leaning toward to Henry just cuz... Well it's Henry!!! Local shop said he had a marlin used at 470.. Good price? Said its good shape just haven't looked myself.. Ohh an got a quote for the Henry brand new at 760... Another good price? Donot know any value on these rifles... Thanks ahead of time!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I assume you are talking about a marlin 1894 variant. Without more info on the exact model it is tough to give you a price range but it sounds like its in the area if the gun is in perfect condition.
    If the Henry is a big boy (again need more info) I would say the price is a bit high. But not too bad.

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Yea it is a 1894... And the other one is a big boy... Gotta get more prices from other shops then... The place I usually go to that knows me said he doesn't deal Henry rifles... Idk why the hell he doesn't but his loss then.

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

4. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Another shop can't get a Henry... And one more by my house had a marlin 1894 brand new for 540... Still seems a little high for a marlin... Only reason I'm leaning toward the marlin now is that they are much easier to get a hold of... One guy today told me Henry said to him and handgun cartridge rifle will take anywhere from 30 days to 6 months!!!!

5. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Woowwwww just found a shop that had the marlin in new for 690!!!! They are crazy!!!

Dicks can order it for 530 NIB so unless this used one is really nice I might just have to go to dicks...

Doesn't anyone know if marlin is backed up? I know Remington owns them so hoping they aren't to busy with the new military contract...

6. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Put 100 bucks down on the used marlin... Thing looks brand new anyways and I don't feel
    Like waiting forever to get a new one from the factory.. I'll put pics up when I get the gun next week...

Not sure if I should bother n e ways.. Been talking to myself this whole thread anyways!

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I think you will love the marlin. I bought mine used and I have only shot it twice. First shot was a 1/4" right of bullseye second was through the exact same hole.

8. TooStrongTerry

TooStrongTerry New Member

I can't decide between a marlin 336 in 30-30 or marlin 1894 in 357/38...I'm driving myself nuts on what do get! HELP ME TOO

@TooStrongTerry

9. medieval77

medieval77 New Member

i have the marlin 336 30-30 and its one of my fav.. rifles i have... i havnt had any problems with it..

10. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

U gunna hunt with this gun? If so I'd go with the 30-30 over the other one..

11. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Nice!!! I think they got there trust in many people (at least in me) since Remington owns them now.

12. TooStrongTerry

Yeah I'm def gonna hunt with it. Ammo is just...kinda expensive lol

@TooStrongTerry

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Can't argue with that. I picked up a box of hornady ballistic tips and about sh%t when I saw the price.

14. TooStrongTerry

Yeah. That's the only thing holding me back...I'm trying to find better options but unless your hunting with a rimfire...ammo sucks lol

@TooStrongTerry

15. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

My dicks store in NY has 30-30 for 14.99 Remington... Look at this site..
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/30-30.html

What I do with my 30-06 is shoot the cheap paruvian boxes.. Blue ones.. Just to sight in and practice... Then switch to the ammo u will hunt with when u wanna fine tune...

I have hornday 165gr super performance for deer and that stuff is 30$ a box!!! I sure as hell ain't shooting that to plink with!!

Not many other hunting calibers are much cheaper than that... Even 223 is hunting rounds are getting to 12 a box of 20..

My friend has the 30-30 and I shot it a few times... Nice accurate gun.

I will say I read that the triggers are horrible so my first mod will be a new trigger...

16. TooStrongTerry

Hockey...where in ny r u from? I'm in ny too

@TooStrongTerry

17. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

North bellmore Nassau county long island. Home of the target only pistol permits!!!! Haha

Where are you at?