Leupold

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by JuniorRanger, Mar 3, 2012.

1. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

Do any of you have leupold scopes?? If so, how much do you guys like them? Are they worth the money?? What's your favorite model?? And anyone else feel free to chime in. Thanks

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have several and except my vIII 4-12X40 i dont like em much. I prefer redfield even though they are made by leupold. I use weaver and burris more than anything else. Mainly weaver.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I own two Vari XIII 3.5-10 x 50's very happy with both. I bought my first one in 1995 and the second in 2010.

I also own a Burris and a Redfield and like both.

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Leupold makes a good scope,but they bank on their name.For the price of most of their scopes,you can get a better scope for less money buying other brands.

Sightron,Weaver,and Zeiss get my money anymore if I need optics under 1k.

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Weaver 3x10x44, got a Leupold you want to trade fot it?

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got four. two mark4 a vx7 and a vx2. they are good scopes but now that i know more about optics not worth the price.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya i have a vari xIIII 4-12x50 i despise

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

8. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I have a VXIII 4.5x14X40mm and its ok for what I use it for on the rifle it's on. In the price range it's in, there's not too many manufactures that can beat their glass, however there's far better glass if you can spend the $$$$. I also own Premiere Reticles, and USO scoped rifles, and these scopes smoke the hell out of anything Leupold makes or probably ever will. Still all in all Leupold makes a good scope in the VXIII and Mark 4 series for what they are.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

There is a 3-9X40 leupold scope my buddy is selling for $150. Should I grab it from him??

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

It would depend on which series of Leupold it is.If it's not a VXIII series or better,I wouldn't pay 150 for it.

11. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

It's is a vx1

12. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

The VXI and VXII sereis of Leupolds are kind of "stinky" and you could probably pick up a new VXI for less than $150.00. I picked up a Leupold VXII a couple of years ago new at a retail store for about $170.00. I noticed the VXI's were from less than $100.00 to $149.00 in the same retail store.

13. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Also note the vx1 is a friction adjust windage an elavation not positive click adjust, they are ok but u can do way better for the same cash

14. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

I've got an older vx-II. It's nice and I really like it, but for the money id go vortex. Nice glass and great price point. Good warranty too.

15. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

What about the VX R line?

16. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I like my Leupold Scopes. But I do not like the new lesser expensive models due to the fact like all the Redfields I have had, they do not have actual click adjustments they have friction adjustments. Which requires you to visually look a the turrets when making adjustments. The Leupold Vari X III Models have click adjustments and you can stay of the gun and make adjustments accurately without having to put the rifle down and visually adjusting. Obviously the glass on both is very good since Leupold owns Redfield at the present. My preference is 30MM Scope Tube Models! But the 1" are OK.

17. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9 X 40. Its a pretty decent scope but low light vision isn't that great. I kinda like the friction adjustments and it has plenty of eye relief.

18. samnev

samnev New Member

I have owned 2 Leupold Gold Ring Vari-XIII EFR 6.5-20X50 scopes for 15 years and never had any sort of problem with them. I also own their Mk 6 1-6X20 FFP scope. I have 7 Nightforce scope of various flavors and the Leupold's glass and tracking compares very favorably to my Nightforce scopes. Are they as rigged as a NF, probably not but a great value for their price point + their lifetime guarantee that follows any subsequent owners.
    However stay away from their Green Ring optics that are made outside the USA. They are junk.