Letting Others Shoot Your Firearms

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mjkeat, Oct 22, 2011.

1. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Maybe It's just me but I really enjoy letting others use my firearms when at the range. I can't remember a time I havn't had guys come up and ask me questions or notice older kids glancing over at my bench.

I always ask them if they want to put a few rounds down range, present arms style. Usually it's followed by a bashful, no it's alright. I respond, "are you sure?" They always accept and I hand them a PMag and a box of ammo.

It's awesome when the kids look at their dads and w/ that Christmas morning look in their eyes express their desire to own an AR of their own.

For me there is more joy in that than pulling the trigger myself.

Do you all let others shoot your firearms?

2. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

I haven't let others pull the trigger at the range, But I have certainly taken people who would otherwise never get the chance, After some safety walkthroughs of course.
    My 8 year old son has been asked if he would like to squeeze off a round or two at the range, Very cool for him, He was very happy.

3. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Never! This is my gun. There are many like it, but this one is mine;)

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

4. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I never go to a range because I got all kinds of land to shoot on,but when i'm shooting with friends or family it's not even a question,it's always like "you try it out with this ammo",or "let me try that one"

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I always pay attention, when I am at the range, to other shooters. It's a safety thing first, but when I was very young some very experienced shooters let me shoot their weapons. I shot a .50BMG when I was 14. :cool:

If I get the chance, I ALWAYS let another shooter try my custom stuff. The last time I did, I sold the shooter on a Mike Rock 5R barrel for his "Meat Getting Rifle".

Paying It Forward - it's VERY good for the sport. ;)

JD

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i do it all the time. i find it just as much fun letting others try my guns out as i get shooting them. i seldom get a chance to step back and see my own firearms in action :)

sometimes it irks me when a person shoots my guns better than i do lol

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's a learning experience too. You may find something that you like better than what you have. And like in Dillinger's case, it can be a learning experience for other people too. You may help them find something that they like better.

8. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I don't normally have a problem with lending them out.
    I owe one guy who I might never see again, for letting me shoot an ar in 08. It took me til 2010 but I finally got one.
    As JD said, pay it forward.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I love shooting my father-in-law's revolver better than he can!

Some of my most fun shooting experiences are my friends getting together and laying out a dozen or more guns with ammo and we spend an hour or two shooting each others' guns. I love making sure everyone got a chance to shoot each of mine and I get to shoot guns I never would have thought to buy, myself.

Now we just need a 10-year-old to load our mags!!

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

My mom shoots my model 65 better than I can :( but I shoot her M&P .40 better than her, so it evens out.

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Only a few times but I don't make a habit of it thats for sure.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

At a public range I used to shoot at a lot if someone else was there shooting next to me it was not uncommon to start talking and looking at each others weapons and maybe squeezing out a few rounds of each others guns. I especially enjoyed it when it was someone that had never fired what I was using that day. Of course it would be dependent on the person. For the most part the people that went there wen I was there where LEO so I wouldn't have any problem trading out for a mag. Made 1911 fiends of a couple poly disciples at that range. I shoot mostly at home these days s the others shooting with me are friends or family. My daughter shoots with me some and I will let her shoot anything I have. I miss that 226 Sig I gave her and will say "Hey!, let me shoot that Sig and I"ll let you empty mag or so of this or that"..heh

13. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Our local range was always full of guys that would help kids learn to shoot, and would let adults try out something different.

Once at the trap line, two guys gave my son and I some advice. These two guys had more than 100 years of trap shooting behind them...both my son and I shoot better today as a result of their advice.

Our range, Inland Fish and Game Conservation Association closed down about three years ago. The club was sued by a guy who bought the property next door and wanted to build homes next to a range! Boy, was that stupid...the range had been there for over 50 years! But a development friendly City Council and City staff, and a sympathetic judge, put nails in the coffin. So now, the thousands of folks that shot at IF&GCA on a regular basis have either quit shooting or have moved to other, much further away ranges.

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

@jeepergeo, that's exactly where I first got the concept of sharing guns. My friend and I went to the skeet range at the Air base near Charleston SC, and had a very similar experience with a couple of trap shooting old timers.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Yeah that sucks, dont make any sense to me. The development should have never been allowed to go in because the range was there first. In my hometown i worked at a stone quarry that had been there since the 60's, couple years ago they put in a hospital directly across the interstate and then started raising hell with the town council about the noise. My company had to spend a couple mil and put in newer quieter equipment to process the rock.

Back on subject, i dont mind sharing guns. Ive let alot of my friends shoot my guns and even shot guns that werent mine for fun.

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I like to collect old and uncommon guns, and part of the fun is letting others shoot them... Especially my Medusa, I figure I have a gun that most people have never heard of let alone get a chance to shoot.

Last time I was at the range I was shooting with a benchrester, his daughter, and her boyfriend... I guess the boyfriend was learning to shoot.. I got to shoot quite a few benchrest rifles (There like cheating, they shoot EXACTLY where you aim and have next to no triggerpull!) and I only had a couple of rounds left for my mosin so I let the boyfriend shoot it and he liked it better than the benchrest rifles! :D

17. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I let people shoot mine all the time. Even outside the class setting.

It's fun to let someone shoot the EBR's (evil black rifles) or the Bren Ten, or something they may never have seen before.

Kids get a kick out of shooting my single action .22's, or even the .22 semiautos.

Heck...one guy darned near peed his pants when he touched off a round from my S&W 500 Mag (then he offered to buy it).

I think as long as you do it safely, and they are under your control...why not let someone shoot your guns? Gun folks need to be friendly to other gun folks...it's a rule.

:D

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree that as long as people pay attention to safety, yes i would gladly trade guns with someone else. you get to try different guns that maybe normally you wouldn't even think of shooting and open your horizens to different guns
    maybe even get to make new friends who at least have a common interest.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

About the 500, I've heard of people putting reduced weight trigger return springs in their 500's, and sometimes double, triple, and even quadruple tapping. Supposedly because the recoil is so much that it slams the trigger back into the trigger finger upon recovery.

Is that true? Haven't found any videos on it.

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

A friend of mine, who always has a bunch of guns that he allows others to shoot, says he'll shoot with anyone who is safe.

There was a time recently that I was firing a shotgun of his. I miscounted the shells, thought the chamber was empty and pulled the trigger to release the cocked status..BANG!!! I was really surprised at my first negligent discharge. But I was pointing in a safe direction at the range and was as safe as one could be during a ND:eek:

He told me, "You see, I'll still shoot with you and let you shoot my guns because you were safe the whole time, even in your mistake."