Letter to local PD for FFL

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by ktmboyz, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I am in the process of aligning my ducks for a retail gun store. As for the letter to the local police chief , am I supposed to write as to intent to open ? or as a request to open and wait for a reply ?

Sorry for the dumb question but I have looked and all I can find is that you have to inform, nothing as to content of the letter..

Thank all.

There is a lot of good info in this section. I have been on here for years and never even been in here. Guess I have been missing out.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

All I did was drop off a copy of the ATF application. Didn't have to a do a letter at all and as far as I know there is no ATF requirement to do one.

3. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Ok Thanks Silverado, all I can find is you must inform the local pd of intent to open. I guess that would do it, I think I might attach a letter too just as a courtesy.

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

How has your venture gone so far ?? is it taking off ? I know the economy is bad but firearms and ammo are booming everywhere..

5. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Well I'm home based right now but it has kept me busy so far. I had almost 4k in sales last month which was my first month, so nowhere to go but up. Just to add make sure you talk to your zoning department for your city or county to make sure you're good. They can be a show stopper so it's better to know where they stand before waisting your time with the ATF.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  6. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

WOW thats awesome, good for you !!! I can only hope to do that well..

I'm sure you will get sick off my questions before I finally get my FFL in hand lol

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Ha, that's not Gross not Net. I'm still running in the red but it's a start. Good luck and if you need anything or have a question shoot me a PM.

8. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Ya I figured it as gross, but your moving product and thats the important part :cool:

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FWIW, I am an 03, not an 01, but have to do the same things with local Chief LEO when renewing.

What I do is attach a cover letter that says something to the effect of:

Dear Sheriff Jones:

I am in the process of renewing my FFL as a Collector. As the Chief Law Enforcement Officer, regulations of the BATFE require that I notify you of this by a copy of my renewal application. This is attached as a courtesy to you, and no action is required of your office.

Sincerely,

C3Shooter
    Member, Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

10. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

The membership status is a nice touch. I may have to add that :D My CLEO actually acted as if I was bothering him by letting him know. He could care less but I'm sure he's the exception.

11. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Actually, it IS a bother- He is sitting there looking at the application, calling secretary, saying "Francine- what the hell do we do with these? Nothing? Well, why do they send them to us?" That is why I do the cover letter- short and sweet- Feds say I have to send this to you- you do not have to do anything with it- have a nice day.

Make life simple for them.

Am changing the signature block to Domestic Right Wing Terrorist, but have not used up all the old business cards yet.:p

12. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thanks c3 I think I will do something such as that.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

As usual you're right on. That's exactly how it went down.:D

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Take the county sheriff out for a beer.
    During the small talk of college football, just mention "Hey, I'm opening a gun shop. Need anything?"