lets talk steel case ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Mosin, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Hey all, I did a search and saw some information regarding steel case ammo. I was wondering what was the AR platform owners opinion on this ammo. Namely Wolf, since they seem to be the ones manufacturing the most. It seems cheap, but I was wondering about,

-Corrosive Is it corrosive? Is this bad in an AR, and can it be remedied by cleaning after the range?

-Are steel casings bad for the gun, like on the ejectors, etc?

Any knowledge (not opinion) on this subject is welcome and appreciated, as I'm planning to buy some ammo for practice.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

See above :). Now I dont recommend going out and buying 1000 rds of anything until your sure your gun will eat it . This is with any ammo , not just steel .

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Thanks purehavoc! How can I become a supporting member of this site? You guys have been patient and downright helpful with me, and my questions. Never felt scared to ask away, and you guys haven't failed me yet. Did I mention, I BOUGHT A COLT! :D Feel the need to contribute!

4. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Go to my account and on the bottom click on premium membership.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Looks like im going to have to set up a paypal account. I'm a little old fashioned for my age...Anyone take checks?

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Noooooo don't use them anti gunners! I'm pretty sure you can use a check card. Or PM notdku and see if he will take a check.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes there is a way to pay with a check or MO just not sure how, I remember reading it when I was signing up
    Contact notdku he will help you get this done

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

I'm am by no means an expert on steel case or want have you. But what I'll say is not my knowledge but what I've learned about steel case ammo in the AR. First I suggest videos and posts like such here. A specific thing I was told to look for on spent case of steel case is the rim of it(such as, is there a large gouge or deep mark on it) and if so it could be caused from not enough pressure from case while in chamber. Being that brass is more flexible than steel and expands more in chamber to create a better seal when fired. That was what I found to be the most important to look for. Also I learned that the problem which caused the gouged on case rim happened more often with shorter barrels. Like say 18 or shorter. But as the earlier post said, start with maybe buying 100rds or so. And another thing I learned is that in some cases a is that over time steel cases may wear out ejector faster(but agin not in all instances). So have stated that it can wear out your feed ramps? And last is steel cases are and can be more likely to stick in chamber with prolonged sessions while using steel case at range. Me personally I've shot very little steel case ammo my self. Not so much that it didn't work better but I

9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I personally have had nothing but trouble with Pay-Pal! Use your own card when ever possible!!

10. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

I forgot to mention what happens in turn when steel case doesn't create a good seal in chamber. When fired gas pressure lost can mean bolt carrier could not cycle properly

11. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

Forgot to mention what in turn happens when a proper seal doesn't happen win steel case is that the lost pressure may cause rifles not to cycle properly

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

steel cased stuff in non-chromed chambers can lead to difficut or failure to extract issues. chromed chambered firearms normally have no issues with it.

as far as increased wear goes, you will ruin the barrel through shooting long before steel cases will cause any issues. the bolt will need replacing due to normal pressure eroision and stress fracturing long before the steel cases will wear an extractor out. so yes steel is slightly harsher but you would long exceed any reasonable round count for bolt and barrel replacement before that occurs whether your shooting steel or brass.

the only realistic issue steel has is the terrible qc and horrid weight variences of powder charge and bullet weights

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Wolf is one of my favorite brands of ammo, Dad and I have run it through his AR for years with zero malfunctions.

Tula is beyond filthy, I run it in my handguns but its just too dirty to run in rifles in my opinion. The 7.62x39 is anyway.

14. stoppingpower

stoppingpower New Member

Never had any problems with my M&P sport and it has about 1000 rounds of steel through it and it doesn't come standard with a chromed barrel. I do notice that's its not accurate and its way dirtier

15. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I have run about 50,000 rounds of Wolf through my 3 rifles (even back in the laquer coated rounds) and have no more problems per 1000 rounds than with brass, and a significant percentage was bumpfired. The only people I hear of having gripes with it are the ones who have the bottom of the barrel AR's. It is a little dirtier than some brands, but not enough to lose sleep over. I just spray it off after shooting, lube the BCG, and call it a day. I only spend 5-10 minutes cleaning after shooting them. If you want someone elses opinion, ask Quentin. He shoots steel too.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Pretty hard to argue with those numbers! Steelcase for the win. If you can knock off 10 cents a round for practice or plinking, why not.

17. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I dont shoot it because its dirty and inaccurate on top of being cheap communist garbage. To each their own.

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My DPMS loves Wolf, so does my home built PSA, aka Homeboy. Everytime Fleet Farm puts WPA, Wolf, etc, on sale I grab a few boxes.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

i found the wolf steel stuff a bit more accurate than the federal xm193...

20. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

The added benefit for me since Im a reloader is the brass. Even if I have to pay an extra buck or two for quality brass cased ammo. Its worth it. :)