Let's talk SMALLer

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by adjohns3, Dec 20, 2011.

1. adjohns3

adjohns3 Member

Kel-Tec PMR-30 22 mag recently won Gun Test magazine BEST IN CLASS PISTOL.

Anybody have any firsthand experience to talk about this little shooter?
    Looking for something to take to the range, shoot a LOT and not spend too much of my gun budget.
    :confused:

Would appreciate the thoughts of the learned forum members.

;)

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I can get my hands on 5, they would sell in a heart beat.

That is not saying they're good and that I am making an endorsement for them.

It is only because they are rare in these parts and manufacturing is not keeping up to demand.

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It's a pretty unique firearm, which leads to the question of what were they competing with "in class"?. This gun might have finished first in a 1-horse race.

It's a nice little novelty, provided they have got or will get all the kinks worked out. I'd be interested to see what the trigger is like, because I've yet to shoot a Kel-Tec with even an average trigger (and I've got a couple).

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I got to handle one at my lgs a week or so back. I wasnt impressed with it other than the extremely super light weight. It was very cheap construction. After seeing one in person i lost all interest in it.

22wmr is not cheap ammo. About the same as some low end 9mm plinking rounds. The pmr 30 only works with a few of the higher priced 22wmr offerings.

My opinion is its a total fad just because it is unique. Once they get out in large quantity its gonna die out.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you spend a great deal of time outdoors in rural areas, it'd be a fun gun to throw on your hip for random plinking and varminting. It could be really great for that, as could an FN 5.7 if you've got a heavy wallet. Otherwise, I dunno.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I hear they halted production because it was key holeing.

7. adjohns3

adjohns3 Member

Wouldn't you think if you had a HOT product like this you would BEEF up production ahead of a prime time selling period like Xmas??
    Poor planning like that will qualify someone to work for the Government!!

:cool:

8. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I was told by a guy at a Cabela's gun counter (you can use your own discretion as to the accuracy of the statement) that the Kel Tec's were having feed issues with the 30-rd mags and a rimmed cartridge. That said, .22 mag isn't the cheapest ammo to shoot, either. I would recommend a Walther P22. They are well-built and could handle lots of rounds, and .22 LR is much cheaper.

9. CD Woods

CD Woods New Member

Pmr-30

I have not seen one of these yet, and I would be interested to see how one feels and shoots. I do own it's Grandfather the Grendel P-30 made back in the early 90's. It's accurate and fun to shoot, but as stated earlier, the price for ammo does make it a bit costly to have fun with.