lets talk optics

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by shotshell9, Apr 3, 2013.

1. shotshell9

shotshell9 New Member

so ive got this winchester model 70 chambered in 338 win mag , i am looking for mounts and glass for it

2. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

What's your price range?

3. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I put dual dove tail mounts (because of the recoil) and a Leopold 1 3/4 x 6 scope on it and loved it. It was my 'Alaskan 30-06'! ;)

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Make sure to use steel dovetail and rings. A low power scope is the way to go. Keep it simple and it will be deadly.

5. gearhead396

gearhead396 New Member

I have a bushnell banner dusk and down 3-9x40 that I really like accurate and the reticle lights up and has five shades of red and green the mounts were given to me by a friend so I'm not sure what brand

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  6. shotshell9

shotshell9 New Member

What about for longer range stuff

7. Nateroftheriver

Nateroftheriver New Member

Nf rings an bases, as well as a NF scope thats what I run on a christensen arms 338 ultra, but I like the 5x20, or 4x16 power ranges, but my choices may never fit the bill for you. Start buy whats your budget an whats the best within your budget. Only your eyes can tell whats the best for you, go look at as many brands as you can.

8. shotshell9

shotshell9 New Member

9. BornToHunt

BornToHunt New Member

Zeiss conquest or bushnell elite 4200 doa 600. Check out the vortex vipers too

10. shotshell9

shotshell9 New Member

thank you guys for your input so far , i am thinking i can speed about $600 i have looked at a few differnt brands so far i know that the high end stuff is good but you cant get a good lets say 6-32 power scope into that much money
    what i am thinking is that i am going to use this rifle to hunt big game with but i also want to shoot something whearth it be paper or something alive at grate distances like 800 yards or so
    i just want to be able to use all the potential this rifle has

11. jp_over

jp_over New Member

+1 for the Zeiss Conquest. Also, Warne rings are a good product. The Leupold VX III line is good as well.

12. jpattersonnh

Learn how to shoot. A 6+32x?? is way to much for a hunter. Most of your game, if you ever hunt w/ it will be within 400 yards. A 10x will make it look like you target is at 40 yards. So a 3-12 is more then enough. Even if you ran it out to 500 yards, no big deal.
    Not a big fan of leupold. Zeiss make good scopes but both would not be my 1st choice.
    What scope at what power range??

What you ask leaves way to many questions. Are you hunting Grizzley in the woods, or Elk on the Tundra?? Just no simple answer. If I were to build my rifle in 9.3x62, it would have a side mount and irons. That gives flexibility. Scope would be a 2-7x, no more. It is hunting. That rifle was intended to kill something hunting you.

13. davidwilsen

davidwilsen New Member

Nice zeiss optics. I had great deal while purchasing my favorite scope for digiscoping with Eurooptic.com. Here you may get more optical product with your budgeted price. It would be a fantastic visit if you can.

14. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Ive been running a Burris FFII scope with a Leupold one piece base and Leupold rings on my 30-06 for many years. Never had a problem with my zero and the scope has held up to some abuse over the years like a champ.

Get quality the first time out and 90% of the time you will never have to worry about it again.

15. jpattersonnh

**** EDITED - How about feedback without the smarmy attitude ****

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
  16. running_fool

running_fool New Member

Who knows anything about the Burris eliminator or vortex viper?

17. 6_5swedeforelk

6_5swedeforelk New Member

338 Looong shot

Shotshell, 800 yds is fine for targets, I'll bet that 338 will group them in a ft pattern. But if hunting anything but the big bears, someone has given you bad advice and you are seriously overgunned. Oh well, you're going in the direction of being totally overscoped. I guess that makes it a well-matched setup, after all.
    We all make mistakes. :) JPatterson thinks we have elk on our tundra!
    Search for "Alberta Outdoorsmen forum" -Elk hunt , the real knowledge of trappers & guides will interest you.

18. simpkinst

simpkinst New Member

I have not tried the Viper, but have a couple different vortex scopes. No complaints at all with any of them.