Let's talk multi meter testers .

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dango, Aug 12, 2020.

1. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

:DWell I never was around high pressure steam, but can relate!!! As far another man's wife, as a LEO I can attest to that, as I have handled MANY calls where things were out of control for that very reason, and most did not end well!. ;) But motor cycles are very unforgiving, you had better respect them, I know this one from experience:eek:!

dango likes this.
  2. Notrighty

Notrighty Active Member

I’m not an electrician but in the Hvac business I use a multimeter at least once a day. To troubleshoot electrical circuits or confirm the power is off to a panel I’m about to put my hands in. I would agree that unless you are rich you can’t buy the highest quality tools for every job. The meter is the exception. I once used a cheap multimeter to check for voltage on a electric heat sequencer when the meter pretty much blew up in my hand. Test lead burned my fingers flash temporarily blinded me . I may have short circuited it by bumping the wrong wire with the test lead but those things can happen in a congested panel. A Fluke or other high quality meter offers internal protection from such unhappy occurrences.

dango and primer1 like this.

3. Notrighty

Notrighty Active Member

I know what your saying “ I only bought the 10 dollar meter to check low voltage circuits and batteries and such”. But then your electric hot water heater breaks down and you say “hey I got a meter” and you find yourself with your hands on a meter checking a connection with enough amperage to fry yourself. Or you can spend maybe 100 bucks and have a decent meter that is safe and reliable.

dango likes this.
  4. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

image.jpeg I remember back in my youth , 60s - 70s , all I needed was two tools to just about test and fix anything on my vehicles . A continuity tester and this old gadget . That old gadget would test battery , starter , altinater and any basics needed to trouble shoot just about all problems .
    This old tester is so old and still used , I can't even remember how long ago I bought it !

primer1 and boatme98 like this.
  5. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 6.58.31 AM.png

dango and JimRau like this.
  6. dango

Yep , I've seen those and they have not changed at all . Mine has a toggle switch , that red button must be the load test . On mine , you hold the toggle over for I think 10 seconds and if the needles still in the green , good to go .

I remember paying like $50 for mine 100 years ago ....:confused: This was way before cell phones were out .

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    JimRau and ellis36 like this.
  7. dango

Broke down and bought a multi meter made by some "CHING-WAY" company (WUN-HUNG-LOE) or something like that on sale off E-Bay for $36 .

All kinds of doo-hickies on it with pretty colors and all , did I do good ? o_O

ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  8. woodlander

woodlander Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I think we'd all like to see a picture. The odds are it will work fine. I have a Chinese meter that I bought at the local hardware store for about $20. This was a few years ago. I intended to treat it as a throwaway but, years later, I am still using it and it works fine. It is actually very accurate - I have tested it against meters that have been calibrated. I still intend to buy a Fluke someday. I love quality tools, but, sometimes you have to be pragmatic about it.

ellis36 and dango like this.
  9. dango

I won't get it until the 27th . Will send a pic then .

10. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

dango likes this.
  11. dango

I could a dumped the wife and got a Harley also .....:p .......I ain't. To bright ....? :D

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

:D:p:cool:

dango likes this.